Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried every possible step to make it work, I cant make it copy the code from the handheld remote GDO, any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm doing the same now (or will when I get home).
IIRC, many garage door openers using a rotating sequence for the code, requiring the 'learn' button on the opener to be pressed.
The process is outlined in the manual, but even after several reads it was still not clear.
I'll make note of the procedure and follow up here when I get it running.

·
Registered
185 Posts
you need to hit the learn button on your garage door opener. loose summary:
Do the steps to copy from the remote
hit learn button
hold button on homelink till it flashes
hold button on homelink till it flashes
voila

·
Registered
519 Posts
^^^Yep, that.

Just follow the steps in the owner's manual precisely for 'rolling code' garage door openers...it took mine (3) holds of the homelink button after pressing the 'learn' button on the 'drive.

·
Registered
519 Posts
so this thing in the car is not an actual opener...it just learns the code from your actual remote?
It's like a universal TV remote control. It's an actual remote control, but still needs to learn the 'codes'.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When you press the learn button on your opener you have 30 sec. I believe to hit the center button on the car. It might be easier if you have 2 people. One at the opener and the other in the car. Took me a couple tries doing it myself to get mine programed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When you press the learn button on your opener you have 30 sec. I believe to hit the center button on the car. It might be easier if you have 2 people. One at the opener and the other in the car. Took me a couple tries doing it myself to get mine programed.
just to be clear, it doesn't matter what button you use, as long as you use the same button for the entire process. You have 3 buttons so that you can program/use 3 separate garage door openers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So it took me several tries in trying to program my remote just like any remote. Then I read the manual. It was extremely simple after that and I was embarrassed I had my friends over trying to help me!

Just take your existing remote. Get in your car. Turn the car to either on or to accessory mode. Hold you current remote a couple inches from the car remote. Hold down the car remote button you want to program, hold down you existing remote button at the same time and wha-law it all works. Read the manual for how long to hold the remotes and the exact timing. Key is you use your existing REMOTE to program your car. NOT the learn button on you garage opener. So simple!

·
Registered
411 Posts
So it took me several tries in trying to program my remote just like any remote. Then I read the manual. It was extremely simple after that and I was embarrassed I had my friends over trying to help me!

Just take your existing remote. Get in your car. Turn the car to either on or to accessory mode. Hold you current remote a couple inches from the car remote. Hold down the car remote button you want to program, hold down you existing remote button at the same time and wha-law it all works. Read the manual for how long to hold the remotes and the exact timing. Key is you use your existing REMOTE to program your car. NOT the learn button on you garage opener. So simple!
That works with older openers. If you have one with roaming codes, newer opener, it has to be done the other way. I have a Genie Pro that's 4 years old.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That works with older openers. If you have one with roaming codes, newer opener, it has to be done the other way.
Good to know. For once having something older paid off [:D]

I have been wondering how you were liking your car Gobird. I love mine!!! Still learning all the little tips and things from this forum. The latest was the glove box having a special place for the manual. It is so fun to discover new things!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried the process exactly as it states in the instructions, no dice! Both are Genie's. One is 7/8 years old the other no more than 4... The homelink took the remote signals, but I can't get the garage door to take the homelink signal. Yes, I'm using the learn function on the garage door. Honestly, this seems to be a backward way of doing this with homelink. Had a mercedes, just put both car and garage in learn mode and they spoke to one another and bingo! I will try again by clearing out everything and going through the motions. There is no reason it shouldn't work.
Anyone else having this issue? I followed instructions precisely... no idea...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I tried the process exactly as it states in the instructions, no dice! Both are Genie's. One is 7/8 years old the other no more than 4... The homelink took the remote signals, but I can't get the garage door to take the homelink signal. Yes, I'm using the learn function on the garage door. Honestly, this seems to be a backward way of doing this with homelink. Had a mercedes, just put both car and garage in learn mode and they spoke to one another and bingo! I will try again by clearing out everything and going through the motions. There is no reason it shouldn't work.
If I remember correctly the car has to be running and parked right outside the garage, not under the opener.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Tried every possible step to make it work, I cant make it copy the code from the handheld remote GDO, any ideas?
Did you follow the canadian instructions? they are different then the american ones, go here, put in your particulars and choose mustang. I think their opener is the same. The focus isn't listed just yet -

http://www.homelink.com/program.php

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am programming outside my garage and did the canadian version as well. Nothing... damn, I really don't want to carry around an opener. There must be something I can do, guess I'll have to call the homelink number and see what else there is I can do. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was haveing problems with the programming also...I have a craftsman opener and what i did was pushed the learn button on the back and had 30 seconds to press and hold homelink button worked right away after that. cool lil feature to have once it works

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was haveing problems with the programming also...I have a craftsman opener and what i did was pushed the learn button on the back and had 30 seconds to press and hold homelink button worked right away after that. cool lil feature to have once it works
Did you press and hold the homelink button the entire time? I haven't tried that yet. Will do so and let you know if it works.

Tried it, no dice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does anyone have any good suggestions for in-home receivers for lights and appliances. I notice that a couple of the links on the Homelink site are non-working.

I'm looking for a way to turn on lights using the car mounted buttons.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have an older garage opener which actually made the process way easier. I tried everything you did and then read the car manual. I took my garage opener REMOTE, held it next to the car remote and held the buttons as it states in the car manual. That was super easy and worked like a charm.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Set mine up in a minute or so. Followed the instructions in the book. Pressed remote opener next to home link until HL light went solid. Then pressed HL button again. Then pressed "Learn" on my Garage Door opener unit (the one in the ceiling in the garage). The pressed the HL button again with 30 seconds. Working like a charm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts