Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some rims which are 16x7, 4x108 bolt pattern and 40mm offset.
After doing a search I see from past threads it is indicated that the ideal offset is 42mm and ideal tire size for 16's is 205/50/16. Is going with a 40mm
offset a bad thing? If I understand offset correctly it determines the position of the
tire within the wheelwell of the vehicle. So does a 40 mm offset move the tire farther
out from the car or in towards the car?

I have a 1.5" drop (Steeda Springs) and was looking at using these rims (40mm offset)
with a Yokohama 205/50/16 tire. Think that will be a problem with rubbing?
The people where I am getting the tires think I should go with a 205/45/16 which
are about an extra $400 for the set. Besides the money I was concerned that the 45's
would have a harsh ride compared to the 50's...or is the difference so little it wouldn't matter?

Any thoughts/help[???:)]

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so going with the205/50/16 should be ok?

thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you get a negative offset (or deep dish wheels), wouldn't that widen your car's stance giving a lower center of gravity and better handling in corners....I'm not talking about insanely negative, but a little like -10mm or something. Sure it would look a little "ricey" with the wheels flared out like that, but it seems practical if you don't break essential suspension and drive components for something like autoX.

·
Registered
126 Posts
GonFishin said:
If you get a negative offset (or deep dish wheels), wouldn't that widen your car's stance giving a lower center of gravity and better handling in corners....I'm not talking about insanely negative, but a little like -10mm or something. Sure it would look a little "ricey" with the wheels flared out like that, but it seems practical if you don't break essential suspension and drive components for something like autoX.
Well, considering FWD vehicles normally have a positive offset, even putting zero offset wheels on you car would look pretty goofy, kinda like a skateboard. Also, moving the wheels out has no effect on you center of gravity. In order to affect the CG, some mass would have to be moved in a vertical direction, not a lateral one. It would indeed change how easily the car would tilt from side to side, but only negligibly. The increased wear on the suspension (from the change in suspension geometry) would not be worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
positive offset is normally referred to as "Reverse Offset" Offset is the measurment of the centerline of the wheel from the inner edge. An offset of 42 is going to sit slightly inward of an offset of 40. You actually have more tire UNDERNEATH the car with an offset of 42 rather than 40. 40 gives you a wider stance (better for cornering, but harder on the inner edges of the tire) Some of the tire websites have some really good information on this stuff.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
More importantly, the correct wheel offset places the center of the wheel between the inner and outer bearings on the spindles. By using deep dish wheels you increase the loads on the bearings and greatly increase the odds of buring them out or worse causing the bearing cage to disintergrate from the increased load.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Kicknzx3 said:
49mm is Factory 17" wheel offset on SVT. I bought 16" rims with 45mm offset and find that even 4mm difference greatly reduces vertical clearance between tire and fender lip. On this car, I suspect 40mm offset would not be enough with the common tires sizes used on Focus. I installed 205/55/16 winter tires, but wish I installed 205/50/16 to add clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
40mm offset will puch the tire out to the wheel well edge, increasing the chance of rubbing when going over bumps. IF you have good performance springs and dampners with a 1.5" drop, you should be ok for the most part. Stock dampners will be softer i.e. making rubbing more likely.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i had the stock 16" 5 spoke zx3 wheels on my car and went from those to a 17 with a 40 offset with 215 40 series tires. i have a set of ebay coilover springs lowered 2 inches and no rubbing. looks good. handles great and alignment is perfect. no camber or inner tire wear from the set up. technically the wheels can't fit on my car but now after 2 weeks of hard driving i'm impressed with the improved ride and how the shop was possibly wrong in their assumption but yea the stock 16's if i'm not mistaken are 42 or 43 offset. according to paper you should get 42 and higher offsets for the focus. hope that helps in your decision or getting info on what works and what doesn't

1 - 12 of 12 Posts