Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red zx3. I have a few blue components under there like strut tower brace, racing wires, and connector from MAF to cone filter. For the most part these colors more or less match. Im tryin to go for the Superman theme, red and blue, but all of those black platic pieces under the hood are annoying. I want to paint these. I know I have to use heat resistant paint, but I still want it to more or less match. I want to paint the fuse box red (to offset the strut bar) and the valve cover red (to offset the wires and make them stand out), but I also want to paint the battery cover blue.

What paints/brands should I use? Do I go to Home Depot, Lowes, auto parts store? Will the brake paint work? Will I need to prime the pieces before I paint them?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments!

Robert

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Yes I would prime them beforehand to make sure you get a nice finish, priming is always recommended but make sure it's a high heat primer also (if you can get that).

Any high heat paint will work, regardless of brand. Just pick something that is good, no cheap crap paints. JohnMichael went with the superman underhood theme also so you can ask him what he used.....

·
Registered
864 Posts
just mkae sure you get a color you like. and i agree, if you want to know more, get ahold of johnmichael.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i used testors model paint for the plastic bits it has held up for 3 years... It is made to bond to plastic so it was quick easy and it lasts.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
S2 said:
Yes I would prime them beforehand to make sure you get a nice finish, priming is always recommended but make sure it's a high heat primer also (if you can get that).

Any high heat paint will work, regardless of brand. Just pick something that is good, no cheap crap paints. JohnMichael went with the superman underhood theme also so you can ask him what he used.....
Shame on you Chad... John has a Spider-Man theme [nono]

But do get a hold of him, as JohnMichael has done a great job with his engine bay [thumb]

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I was just bout to say that! S2, how can you get Super-man and Spider-man mixed up???!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Go to your nearest Advanced Auto Parts and buy a "High Heat Engine Enamel" paint... i got mine for like $8 and i used it to paint my brake calipers.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ thats what i was asking, could that be used for those plastic pieces too? Cuz if it was I could paint my calipers at the same time...

·
Registered
147 Posts
i personally like duplicolor engine enamel. i painted my valvecovers a few years ago on the poopra and they still look good today (minus a couple scratches from shotty installation by none other than yours truely). they also make a very nice ford red that only looks better and better over the years (if you take propercare anyway).

to spray them, just go to auto zone or kragen (whatevers around you), pick up a couple cans of the color you want, as well as some high temp primer (sandable or not, i prefer being able to wet sand my stuff to make it look good, youll need a few coats anyway ). also pick up a can of adhesion promoter. paints some times have a hard time staying on plastic, especially if the plastic is in a warm spot (like under the hood), and eventually will start flaking off. whatever you do, pick up the same brand of paint, primer and promoter. good luck and post pix :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
yup, sure is. just make sure its the engine enamel... no need for the 2000* stuff.... the 400-600* would work fine. if youre pushing 2000* under your hood, you got bigger issues than an ugly battery cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts