Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
darkstarmotorsports.com also has some lightweight pulleys. much lighter than stock. they dont underdrive, just are lighter.

and the lightweight crank pulley for the mazda 3 also works on the focus duratec.

basically youll notice faster revs, but not enough power gained to notice.. at least not much

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
hey... whats that... its a stickie in my signature about the duratec stickies which contain UDP

·
Registered
119 Posts
can anybody elaborate on the mistake that is so easy to make when installing UDP?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
basically you can lose timing, and when you start the engine there may or may not be contact between the valves/pistons. An easy way to trash an engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
how long does it usually take to install a set of pulleys? and isnt there a special tool necessary for the install? i want to do this upgrade 2-

·
Registered
666 Posts
lol. ...

ford probably didn't think people would be taking the pulley off ... there aren't any real reasons for most consumers to take it off.

anyway.. its really easy to just get something to hold the pulley still after you loosen the bolt, and just get a marker and make your own mark.

i have no idea what can be gained on teh dtec since this part of the engine reacts differently on different types of systems..

on my old car the UDP and Acc pulleys were the shiznit. . . i could tell the difference in the driver seat dyno. :p

but that was a belt driven crank. i would think that with the chain there has to be a certain amount of tension that probably be too high for the weight loss to be noticed...

if you do notice a big difference, i bet it would be with a voltage drop at idle, and dimming headlights when you play your radio loud in park.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
lol poor Honhon and his awesome threads. It's a shame nobody searches before they ask a question lol. Someday...someday...eh nevermind.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i edited the title of the stickied list...hopefully that will draw a little more attention to it...

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
thanks evan! i thought S2 did that... lol

but heres some food for thought, i happened to be thinking of UDP's on the way home and thinking about the spare engine i am taking apart in my garage.

ok think of this, read it more than once before you reply if need be.

but here goes...

the CFM UDP cannot screw up your engine...

because the UDP crank pulley you are replacing is the accesory driven pulley... with the little teeth on it that the crank position sensor reads, correct?

the "sprocket" that runs the timing chain to the cam shafts is inside of the timing cover... sinse its lubricating the chain with oil correct?

the reason CFM sells the cam locking tool is so that way you can lock the motor up, to get the bolt off the crank... the accesories and engine wont ever know that the crank pulley has been changed, except they are running slower...

if you have an impact wrench, you can hit the crank bolt fast enough to not need the cam locking tool, and even if it did move... your not messing with the timing by replacing the main accesory pulley and the water pump pulley...

does this make sense to anyone else?

basically, the crank pulley you see and possibly will replace from CFM drives the accessories, not the cam shafts... so in sense, you could never throw off the timing by doing the UDP install...

correct?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
ive heard that you should never hit the crank bolt with an impact. can anyone else verify this? i had the locking tool when i changed mine. you can actually make your own locking pin. i believe it is in the haynes manual

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
after looking at the CFM page and my engine... the only way i can possibly see it screwing up your engine, is there is like a "skip" in the teeth... check the CFM UDP page out... you'll see it... so the Crank POS must "see" this skip, and thus that could throw off timing and cause issues... but otherwise... i dont see how it could ever damage your engine...

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
not sure on your duratec. on our zetecs, its beneath the OEM oil seperator. there is a blank plug that you remove and replace with the pin.

anyone with a haynes manual for 05+????

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
thanks evan! i thought S2 did that... lol

but heres some food for thought, i happened to be thinking of UDP's on the way home and thinking about the spare engine i am taking apart in my garage.

ok think of this, read it more than once before you reply if need be.

but here goes...

the CFM UDP cannot screw up your engine...

because the UDP crank pulley you are replacing is the accesory driven pulley... with the little teeth on it that the crank position sensor reads, correct?

the "sprocket" that runs the timing chain to the cam shafts is inside of the timing cover... sinse its lubricating the chain with oil correct?

the reason CFM sells the cam locking tool is so that way you can lock the motor up, to get the bolt off the crank... the accesories and engine wont ever know that the crank pulley has been changed, except they are running slower...

if you have an impact wrench, you can hit the crank bolt fast enough to not need the cam locking tool, and even if it did move... your not messing with the timing by replacing the main accesory pulley and the water pump pulley...

does this make sense to anyone else?

basically, the crank pulley you see and possibly will replace from CFM drives the accessories, not the cam shafts... so in sense, you could never throw off the timing by doing the UDP install...

correct?
Im sayin correct

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
what i meant by all my talking, is that the CFM underdrive pulley, even installed incorrectly is impossible to damage your valves or pistons... if you think about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts