Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I replaced my crank and water pump pulleys today. Actually, I had my mech. do them for me. Anyways, I noticed that after I picked it up, and while I was drving it home...I had to stop at the bank.

While I was waiting in line at the bank, I saw my tach go from what it normally is at (950) go down to like 750, and back to 950, and then back again to 750...it was going up and down...and then it eventually just shut off.

It starts up perfect, and it idles good for about 2 mins, and then it starts stuttering

anyone else happen to?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any way to fix this?

Also, the engine kind of shakes a little more, as the rpms get down to 950 or below, it shakes

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You stuck an underdrive pulley on without rasing the idle revs. Thats why you
keep stalling out. You need a chip/tuner to up the revs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't heard of ANYONE needing a chip in conjunction w/ a UDP

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do I do that?

Uplug the neg side of the battery...for how long?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
SlammedZX3WI said:
how do I do that?

Uplug the neg side of the battery...for how long?
Just keep the battery unplugged for the night. When you get up the next morning, plug it back up. If that hasn't fixed it, then you know it's not the ECU needing to be reset.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Reset the ecu just as you said (30 min atleast), then drive it kinda hard for about 20-30 so the ecu can relearn. That should fix it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
okay never heard of the "drive it kinda hard" part, sounds almost pointless. is there some reasoning behind that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
There's no reason to drive it any differently than you normally do, 'cause the car somewhat learns the way you drive, and goes with that, so after you reset it just drive as usual.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try unplugging the battery tomm. I work mornings, so I can't risk a dead battery come morning.

Anyways, how do I reset the ECU?? Do I unplug the POS or NEG on the battery?

Also, has anyone else encountered what I'm saying here?
thanks?!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Unplug the negative, as far as problems, I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you. Good luck, and I hope the reset works for you (it should).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, unplug the neg for roughly 30-40 minites?

It wont kill my battery, will it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a set of udp and the car loved them, it was when I installed my MSD DIS-2 is when the cat started doing exactly what yours is. I pretty much just drive and race as normal and just kinda keep it reved just a little to keep it from stalling when it gets that way. Im hoping to by the SCT tuning software to see if that helps. I have had to reset my car before and it didnt help for the stalling but it did reset my engine light after I intalled my cheater kit. Im very interested in know how every thing works out for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
SlammedZX3WI said:
so, unplug the neg for roughly 30-40 minites?

It wont kill my battery, will it?
Nope, there won't be any draw on your battery since the ground isn't connected, you could leave it off overnight and have no problem whatsoever, most likely even longer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm reseting the ECU right now, it's been roughly 15 minites..I'll let it go for about an hour, and I f'n HOPE!!! that it clears up my problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE:

After leaving the neg unplugged for about an hour, I started it up, and nothing changed other than the time on my head unit

Anyone else have any ideas?

I just put the crank and water pump plulleys on. and my cars idle isn't dropping as much, but it's still that blurp blurp blurp blurp sound

1 - 20 of 32 Posts