Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to do something trick with underbody lights. Don't worry, I don't think it will be ricey at all. And if anybody wants to run with this and make it work on your own car, be my guest.

I want to get some high intensity under car LEDs, probably 6-8" long tubes, splice wiring harnesses into the existing turn signal wires, then hook the LEDs into that, so it would be easily replaceable/removeable. They would be positioned in the four corners of the car, orange ones up front, red ones in the back. When I turn the signals on, the underbodies will light up in tandem with the turn signals, otherwise they will just be off. Now there are a lot of unknowns that I will have to tackle to make this work, but the first is finding LEDs that will work. Plasmaglow has a wheel well kit that would work PERFECT but the a$$holes that sell the kits wont split the colors... its either all red or all orange. I am not payin $240 for lights. They have to be LEDs so that the amount of amperage drawn is very low (to avoid messing with the turn signal timing) and I'll have to add a transistor for the rears since they are in the same circuit as the running lights. But I need to find some kind of really robust , really bright LEDs arrays. There is also the option of doing it with semi-truck lights (the round trailer lights) and mounting them under the car. I don't know if that will give off as much light or hold up.

So I want to know what everybody thinks. A) do you think this is a lame or cool idea B) Anybody know a source for really good short LED bars that would stand up under a car, maybe alone or in pairs. and C) Anyone who may have an improvement on this idea or want to call me a stupid ricer, go right ahead. Like I said, in theory it doesn't seem ricey, due to the level of technical prowess required to make it right.

Thanks to any who respond

·
Registered
118 Posts
check out the third brake light LED's on a lexus or bmw at your local boneyard. i did a conversion with those lights in my middle strip on my old zx2....it looked bad ass. good luck with the project. that sounds cool to do. might have to try something like that...thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Streetglow makes neon accessories dubbed "OPTX". You can buy them off the net and I know we sell them at Bestbuy. They have underbody kits and small single stick kits that are like 8" long in an array of colors. Blue, red, white, purple, yellow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Question, if I have a stock zx3 (not dropped, no sideskirts) will the tubes be visible from the sides? THANKS.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on where you mount them. I bet if you mount them on medial side of the rocker panels nobody will see anything but glow.

Thanks for the sites guys. I think I ran across a the OPTX set already, I don't know if its sturdy enough though. If you look at the Ozmium website at the wheel well LEDs you get a good idea of what I'm shooting for as far as hardware, but instead of putting them in the wheel wells they would go ahead of the fronts and behind the rears. [idea] Can you buy from the Toucan site? I can't find a price on anything.

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
wow, the last time this thread seen light was> 02-23-2004, 06:38 PM , 6yr old thread[headbang]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.