Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my wife runs over a small snowbank this morning and damages the shield under the car(where you change the oil)
its over $200 to replace here in canada plus labour.
she has an appointment at the dealer this afternoon and i am sure they will recommend replacement.
has anyone had this removed due to damage and was there any bad effects from doing so.
thanks[rant]

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
so my wife runs over a small snowbank this morning and damages the shield under the car(where you change the oil)
its over $200 to replace here in canada plus labour.
she has an appointment at the dealer this afternoon and i am sure they will recommend replacement.
has anyone had this removed due to damage and was there any bad effects from doing so.
thanks[rant]
You can change it yourself, it's only held in place by 10(ish) torx screws if I remember correctly - nothing fancy. Buy it from the US... even with the currency exchange, shipping and fees, it'll be cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought mine at 40k miles (2013, it was a rental). It didn't come with the shield. Looks like it was cleanly removed at an oil change. no issues.

BUT I am replacing mine, keeps the water and salt off the engine and everything. Lots of connectors right at the bottom, no need for them to be overly exposed.

replacing it wont pay for its self in fuel economy. But it might prevent some other maintenance issues.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just bought mine at 40k miles (2013, it was a rental). It didn't come with the shield. Looks like it was cleanly removed at an oil change. no issues.

BUT I am replacing mine, keeps the water and salt off the engine and everything. Lots of connectors right at the bottom, no need for them to be overly exposed.

replacing it wont pay for its self in fuel economy. But it might prevent some other maintenance issues.
I can bet plenty of those shields will be removed and not put back on by fast lube joints.. LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi all
she just got finished.
some of the screws were missing,they replaced them all and charged half of labour.
less than $50 inc taxes so she was pretty happy.
thanks for all the replys

·
Registered
952 Posts
Happy to see you got it worked out. Living in Ontario we put kilos of salt down so the carpeted shield is a welcome feature in addition to its aero benefits.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Happy to see you got it worked out. Living in Ontario we put kilos of salt down so the carpeted shield is a welcome feature in addition to its aero benefits.
I made my dealer wash the engine bay at the end of November. My engine bay is now all dirty and there's dry salt in some places... Does not work well if you ask me... actually I should look if I have the shield haha.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I made my dealer wash the engine bay at the end of November. My engine bay is now all dirty and there's dry salt in some places... Does not work well if you ask me... actually I should look if I have the shield haha.
You must remove the aeroshield prior to washing the engine. All that dirt and grime will be deposited on the shield and the felt will sag under the weight of all the water.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
You can change it yourself, it's only held in place by 10(ish) torx screws if I remember correctly - nothing fancy. Buy it from the US... even with the currency exchange, shipping and fees, it'll be cheaper.
Talk about dollar exchange rate...

I almost completely stopped buying from US temporary until the CDN dollar settle closer to the USD...

1$ CDN = 1$ USD this was the good old time (c. 2007)

EDIT: don't forget custom fee and delay time... sometimes it's not worth it at this time...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Talk about dollar exchange rate...

I almost completely stopped buying from US temporary until the CDN dollar settle closer to the USD...

1$ CDN = 1$ USD this was the good old time (c. 2007)

EDIT: don't forget custom fee and delay time... sometimes it's not worth it at this time...
I know, I remember. I used to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com but not it's not even worth it... we're getting srew'd here in Canada...

However, this is worth. Shipping time is approx 5 business days. Total cost would be 136.12$ US so arround 170.15$ CAN. Custom fees would be 7% so 12$ - no taxes. You can probably even ask the dealer to write on the invoice a price under 100$ US (so it's a "gift").

Also, a little tip you may use in the future, every dealer has their own price - it's not fix accross all Ford dealer. I needed parts for my Focus here in Montreal. I called a dozen dealerships. On the 12, only 3 had the same low price. The difference was about 30% on the price.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The shield works, that other grime is coming through under the hood!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The shield works, that other grime is coming through under the hood!
Dirt/salt come also from front (remember there's a radiator there [:p] ) and wheel wells (not completely sealed)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I know, I remember. I used to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com but not it's not even worth it... we're getting srew'd here in Canada...

However, this is worth. Shipping time is approx 5 business days. Total cost would be 136.12$ US so arround 170.15$ CAN. Custom fees would be 7% so 12$ - no taxes. You can probably even ask the dealer to write on the invoice a price under 100$ US (so it's a "gift").

Also, a little tip you may use in the future, every dealer has their own price - it's not fix accross all Ford dealer. I needed parts for my Focus here in Montreal. I called a dozen dealerships. On the 12, only 3 had the same low price. The difference was about 30% on the price.
I usually say: Is that your best price (at the dealer part desk)?... It works well or if I don't want to go all around Montreal to get a part, I just request if they can price match the "other dealer" [:p]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Lol thanks for reminding me I pickup the car from the Dealer tomorrow afternoon after clutch replacements. I am going to check it is still there lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts