Focus Fanatics Forum banner

421 - 440 of 708 Posts

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
i want those. i plannned on paintng my headlights black. maybe i"ll order those and install them. they look really sick.
Before you paint them black check to see if they are black under the chrome. Somebody found out the machs are like that. They wanted to remove the chrome before painting and found out they are a gloss black under the chrome and looked great. There is a thread around here somewhere.

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
Before you paint them black check to see if they are black under the chrome. Somebody found out the machs are like that. They wanted to remove the chrome before painting and found out they are a gloss black under the chrome and looked great. There is a thread around here somewhere.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I am going to do that to my OEM's and put them back on my car. The only reason I got the aftermarket ones that I did, is cause I wanted an led strip in them, but now I've got a euro grille on the way, and black OEM's would look better with the grille - especially with led's in them

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Here's the thread I have saved on this. I see the pictures have been removed but the info is still there. I plan on doing this to my Machs when they get here.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270335

·
Minty!
6,610 Posts
i can definitely do that. i really like the LEDs in the headlights but i'm not sure if they're legal where i live. a buddy of mine has a white LED strip on the front bumper where fog lights would go, and he got a ticket for it. but if they are in the headlight i'm guessing they would be alright. the LEDs are just for looks, right? i wouldn't think they would make much of an improvement in lighting.

·
Minty!
6,610 Posts
If you mean the LEDS, they are available in the US, I found this on the website:

" Focusing on the North American market, we serve both Canadian and American mass merchants, such as Wal-Mart Canada, Canadian Tire, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys and International customers in Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
"

I've never seen an Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, or a Pep Boys north of the 49, so those have to be American chains that distributed these LEDs.
i don't remember seeing strips specifically for headlights. they are just the normal strips, not with the diodes on the side like you said. i will keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They don't emit light that you could drive with, it would be like driving with just your marker lights. For me they are not just for show, they are now my DRLs, which we are required to have, but what constitutes DRL is very vague. Some cars use reduced lowbeams (like the focus) while other use orange marker lights or LEDs. The law basically says the car has to have front lighting of some sort that comes on automatically with the ignition. I got tired of my $85 PIAA headlights burning out because they were on all the time as DRLs.

But the reason for putting them in the Headlight assembly was to make them appear more legit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i don't remember seeing strips specifically for headlights. they are just the normal strips, not with the diodes on the side like you said. i will keep an eye out for them.
The ones I used are actually called Head N Grill LEDZ.

You might be able to use the normal ones, they would point the diode parallel with the front lens instead of through the front lens, but you'd have to be very accurate with your placements so the filler piece didn't block them. I'm giving this only based on what I can see inside my light assembly, and it looks like they could fit in. If you're looking for a headlight glow as opposed top something more visible to oncoming traffic.

I'll post pic of mine so you see what I mean, just might be a few hours as I'm on my out for a bit. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is wired into the ignition power just before the headlight switch, they are not controlled by anything other then the ignition itself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, because I am using them as Daytime Running lights they have to be that way by law. I knew a girl that was given a Jeep Cherokee form the US in her aunt's will, it cost her cost to a grand to have it brought up to code to Canadian ownership and registration, the biggest expense was installing a DRL system. Baffled the hell out of me when all they had to do was rewire the fog lights to the ignition. I could have done it for $20, and that would have included buying me lunch and 2 coffee.

·
Minty!
6,610 Posts
Yes, because I am using them as Daytime Running lights they have to be that way by law. I knew a girl that was given a Jeep Cherokee form the US in her aunt's will, it cost her cost to a grand to have it brought up to code to Canadian ownership and registration, the biggest expense was installing a DRL system. Baffled the hell out of me when all they had to do was rewire the fog lights to the ignition. I could have done it for $20, and that would have included buying me lunch and 2 coffee.
i seee. i like that idea alot. i honestly haven't heard of that law here, so if i were to do it, i would wire it to a toggle switch. that way i could have them on without the headlights (obviously not driving at night like that) and they wouldn't blink if i wired to the grille lights.

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
i seee. i like that idea alot. i honestly haven't heard of that law here, so if i were to do it, i would wire it to a toggle switch. that way i could have them on without the headlights (obviously not driving at night like that) and they wouldn't blink if i wired to the grille lights.
Mine are wired to idk what it's called, but I just turned my car to accessory and tested wires under the hood til I found one that cames on with the car. So I guess mine are daytime running lights too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
All cars in Canada built after 1990 require daytime running lights. That why you see all us Canadians driving around in the States with our lights on. :)

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
All cars in Canada built after 1990 require daytime running lights. That why you see all us Canadians driving around in the States with our lights on. :)
It should be a law here in the states too. I can't believe how many drivers do not understand the concept of light in the rain.

How well do those LED's show up in the daytime? I have some small orange ones on my car and they don't show well through sunlight shining on the headlights.

BTW Any Focus (2000-2004 at least, maybe up to 2007) can have day time running lights by simply putting in a relay. It turns on just the low beams and no parking or reverse light. That said, you LED's are way cooler.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I hate my DRL's. It epitomizes a car built for the inattentive and/or elderly. I am smart enough to know when I need headlights. I don't need the car to do it for me.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I hate my DRL's. It epitomizes a car built for the inattentive and/or elderly. I am smart enough to know when I need headlights. I don't need the car to do it for me.
Amen to that, reason #234,687,340,200 that I hate GM products. If I want to drive around with just my fogs and parking lights on I going to damn it.

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
My superduty had drl's, a simple pull of the fuse took care of them. Not to mention every crappy Chevy or GMC truck since 1995 driving around with only one drl on since GM engineers are idiots.

421 - 440 of 708 Posts