Focus Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
how are those little LED projectors treating your eyes? lol
The lamps aren't that bad. but they are meant to drive with them on either. Most the smart people figured that one out on their own.

After having the pedals for a bit now, I take back my reccomendation. Save for the real deal.

I installed my gauges tonight and I will post the tomorrow. I need to get something to help dispurse the light from the LED i stuffed in the gauges. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok here they are. Took me longer than expected to get them up but these are 100% homemade and fully customed. They are one of a kind and easy to make and the best part is... They're free. Well after the cost of experimentation they are. Well here are the pics.

And

They are made of three layers. The top layer is is well the day time viewing layer. The middle layer is a sheet of transparency paper. This helps with the light diffusion. And the bottom layer is the color layer. My Bottom layer looks just like the top layer except everything is red instead of white.

The illumination is very good despite the bad quality fo the picture.

Everything uses the factory lighting and diffusion plate so the only thing you need to change is the Gauge sheet.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's pretty tight man, how'd you do that? The custom numbers and all that jazz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's pretty tight man, how'd you do that? The custom numbers and all that jazz.
Well here is how I did it.

1: I Photo Copied the origional gauge cluster sheet.

2: Edit how you like using whatever software you prefer. I used Paint Shop Pro. You are going to need to make layers, so make sure your software can do that.

The first layer you make is going to be your Top (visible) layer.

The second layer is going to be a simple layer of clear transparency paper.

The third layer is going to be your color layer and light diffusion layer. This layer should look EXACTLY like the top layer EXCEPT this layer will be used to change and or diffuse the light emmited by the dash bulbs.

For example: Here are my 1st and third layers;

and this is my third layer

Its also best that your Top layer be transparent on any part you want light to shine through. This is nice in case you want to print your top layer using Transparency paper as well. Read lower down for more info on a better 4 layer design.

3: Once you made your layers you can either print them or have someone (like Fed Ex Kinkos) print it for you.

4: This is the hard part. YOU MUST ALLIGN ALL THE LAYERS PERFECTLY. Take your time and do it right.

5: Once you've alligned them spray glue them together carefully.
6: Cut out your new guages and install and enjoy.

If you want to use transparency as your top layer as well, simply create your two seperate layers.

Any part of your top layer that you want light to shine through simply make transparent.

Your next layer will be another layer of transparency (this is to aid with the light diffusion).

Follow with a layer of plain white paper. Or what ever color you would like if you want to mix the colors.

Your bottom and forth layer will be your color layers. This layer should be printed on transparency paper as well. I have found that this helps with the light diffusion and it seems to allow for the truest color patterens.

*hint
When alligning the layers, align them and use a clip to hold them together.[wiggle]

Any question you have please ask.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Free bump for this thread, I did those door sill covers over 1 year ago and they are still holding strong. I used rubber wall base and attached with gorilla glue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
plans

As i'm at college i cant really give pictures right now but i've got a ton of little minimods from when i first got the car. Right now i'm looking to paint all the aluminum in the dash a metallic orange and match the air vents and speaker wells too. Eventually take orange thread and embrodier the front and back seats seems (or find a way to give it a pipe embroidery along the seems, any ideas?) caliper paint is always a good idea. advance auto sells spray cans for customizing rims. the '08 to '10 have door sills that say focus (i'm going to paint the innards orange on those instead of them being all black. looking to do a grill mod soon. (keep original plastic grill but add aluminum mesh to the back and tear out the plastic and the front bumber and mold with aluminum to match grill. Also painting the fog light holders chrome. Debadge and remount is easy and clean looking if done with care. (plan to either black the letters out or paint match and remount on the mesh for the front grille, guerilla glue works well (blue or black for color)?)

also have one idea i Really wann do but have no idea about how to go about it... ideas much apprecitaed.: I want to wire and led rig all around my rear window and back to side windows (on the coupe) to my break light. that way when i hit the breaks my entire window becomes a break light (maybe put it on a toggle switch so i could turn it on only at night.) (dont know if this is even legal but i want it

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know of three states where you can carry a loaded pistol or revolver concealed in your car without a permit. Alaska, Colorado, and Vermont.
And florida!!!

As long as it isnt in reach, you dont need a permit to carry it in your car.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here is my (well) under $30 mod.
I was tired of not being able to see in my hatch at night with the factory light so…

I went on Ebay and got the cheapest LED strips I could find. 2 of them for $3.50 SHIPPED!!
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120635871461&viewitem=)

I spliced the LED in to the wire which led to the factory light ( *warning* because these LED’s were so cheap, the wires on them were very thin and somewhat difficult to work with. Have patience)

The results. MUCH better visibility over the factory light. I may try another location for the LED strip to see if it will better light up my hatch as the LED is rather high up, and not really pointed towards the bottom.

·
Registered
106 Posts
blue headlight bulbs from the andersons:$9.99
will put in pic later

·
Registered
72 Posts
De-badged rear trunk area, Sylvania Silverstar #3057 Stop/Turn Signal bulbs.

1 can of Professional Pro-Shine Silicone spray. Keeps everything that's black shiny and looking show quality clean.

Eagle One, A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray on, wash off.

261 - 280 of 708 Posts