Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can anyone lead me to a "how to" for the doorlock switch light mod? I assume it is pertty simple but what size bulb do I need?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok so I though it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to low cost mods. Anywhere from engine to looks. Only thing is that it has to be $30 or less. It will be neat to have a big thread full of cheap mods so other people can get some ideas. I will start.

First is the "lunchbox" delete
Cost: $15
Time: 30 minutes

Second it my switch panel for subs and parking brake bypass(so I can watch videos with car in motion)
Cost: $25
Time: 45 minutes(Not counting paint drying)
a relay is alot easier than this switch, and cleaner.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I love the door sill cover. I to will be doing this mod this weekend. I think I will be going to the junkyard on my luchbreak today to salvage some parts off some wrecked focus as well. Also I love the painted shift mod. I just hate the fact that mine is a cheapo plastic one. Maybe I can find one like your guys.
So just paint this with fingernail polish then spray clear coat over the top?
how did you paint it so clean? id have green everywhere

·
Registered
446 Posts
Integrate the factory sub and amp into an aftermarket radio.
Total cost- a pair of old rca cables (a couple bucks)
Time- about 10 minutes
I dont have pics, but it sounds amazing and works great!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Door trim on the edge of the doors to protect from paint chips. Available at any parts store for about 10 to 20 dollars. Total time required- about 15 minutes. Also dont have pics of this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You could also port your own throttle body for next to nothing. I havnt done it, but there is a how to article on the site. total cost would be under 10 dollars and about 30 to 45 minutes

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i don't know if its been said, but you can make a rear seat delete for under 30. (don't feel like reading through 20 pages. lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is original size.

my kenwood deck came with that and i originally had my usb port mounted on the bezel but when i redid my bezel i mounted the port in the glove box so it's hidden.

my cheap mod is molding the stereo kit into the bezel which gives it a nice clean finish. bondo kit, primer, desired color, and clear coat came out to roughly $20. this here is what i currently have set up in my car. i'm in the process of setting up another one.

also, i have installed lights under the dash and replaced the third brake light to the sedan with the third brake light from a mini cooper because it comes stock with a circuit board holding 12 high power red led's (as you can tell from the under dash lighting) got those for free from working at mini when customers needed to replace them because the covers kept popping off haha. only thing i had to pay for were the mounting screws, wires, and a toggle switch.

·
Registered
594 Posts
So just paint this with fingernail polish then spray clear coat over the top?
how did you paint it so clean? id have green everywhere
Go to Michael's, or another hobby store. Get some super-fine paint brushes- take your shift knob in and see what will fit in the shift pattern.

I'm doing this to mine- the inset will be silver (what would be off-white on the stock knob) and the shift pattern will be blue. I'll use Testors' model paint. No clear really necessary but I guess it couldn't hurt, just brush it on a day or two later.

·
Registered
691 Posts
With my seat all the way up, the seatbelt would rub the seat and squeak really bad, was very irritating. Went to a craft store and got an 8x11" sheet of felt paper with a sticky back and just wrapped all my seatbelt (the clicky part, idk the name) in it. No more squeaks, and it looks like it was supposed to be there the whole time.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You guys are full of awesome ideas! I stole a few (only spending 9 bucks total) and here are the results as of today:

My old shift knob was super worn down so I had to do a bit of sanding, there are still some lines left on it but one day soon I'll repaint it or just get another on. Doesn't look too shabby until then though.

Keep these great ideas coming!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Improved Duratec Throttle Reponse: $0.00

OK, for those of us that own a 2003 > 2007 vehicle with a Duratec engine, the "$0 Thunder Throttle" mod will get you some improved throttle response.

Complete background and HOW-TO with extensive pics >> HERE <<

Oh, and when I painted my shiftknob, I went for the "Ford Racing Parts" look....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please don't pick on me, my car was dirty at the time the pics were taken, but was later cleansed. :)

Following is a set of pedals costing less than 20 at most AutoZones. Nice look, but not a long term idea to be honest.

Following three are simple ideas implemented from this thread. I moved the focus logo from the back to the front dash.

Moving the logo was free minus the cost of tools. I used:
Double Sided Tape $5 - $10
Hobby Knife $1 to $15

After removing (carefully) the letters from the back of the car I used doublesided tape and covered the back of each (cleaned) letter. I used the hobby knife to trim the taped neatly.

Then I simply alligned each letter to my liking and secured them to the dash. I read where someone used hot glue. I do not reccomend this as the greenhouse within the interior of the vehicle will cause the glue to loosen and the letters will fall. I tried Hot Glue at first and that is exactly what happened in less than 30 minutes.

The neon lamps where added later in the day and cost less than $20 at most AutoZones

This is a picture of an LED Gear Shift, $24 plus tax at AutoZome and a speedshift (free with patience)

I used a dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel to cut about 5 inches off the shift rod to simulate a speed shift. The gear shift knob is universal and a nice secure fit.

This is an image of the LED Blue Scheme i am going for. You can see the shifter, the Lamps shinning on the focus emblem, and two LED shinning on the floor boards.

Tomorrow I am going to mod the OEM gauges to have the same blue color. I will post that later in the week.

Oh, the LEDs were about 20 at wallmart.

241 - 260 of 708 Posts