Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well damn.....I thought I had an original mod there. I swear I never saw it done before.....[:I]
haha its alright, you're still amazing with cheap how-tos =)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I just ordered a pair of yellow foglight bulbs for my '09 coupe off ebay for $12.99 shipped since Lamin-x doesn't make a kit for the fogs but does have it for the headlights/tail lights. I was also told the the SVT fogs will fit, but you need to trim off approximately 1/2" all the way around for the newer Foci' fogs.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
This thread needs to be perked up......I know there are plenty of cheap mods left out there. Here are two more......

A rear seat cover for temporary or permanent use. One side is soft polyester fleece as shown. The other is a water-proof material......this one is gray/black, with a black back-side. The size is perfect...50"x60"......and is held firmly by my hatch cover. It's sold as a picnic blanket....Ace Hardware $12.

WWW.smartfleece.com

And here's a nice-sized small trash bag, that hangs on the headrest. Found this one (in gray/black only) at Office Depot. Case Logic.....$12.

·
Registered
14 Posts
has anyone thought of trying to make the fuel door locked but where it'll be released from a lever inside? i had a honda civic before either of my focuses (or foci?) and it had the fuel door release inside.

if someone thought of a way to do this on a focus that would be amazing because gas is going up and i'll bet people will start siphoning people's gas again!

i'm just thinking if it can be done, i'm sure there is a way to do it under 30 bucks...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Crazy thread.

Here are mine, so far:

1)

Not sure if the US and UK models have these, but here in Canada, you get these cheesy bright yellow and offensive warning/instructional stickers, written in two languages, on the visors. Horrible, right in your face. First week I had the car, I had to cover up those! I used a product I use in graphic design and signage, Avery® White Permanent Durable ID Labels for Laser Printers 6579
They are highly durable, have a high tack, resistant to elements (even used them outdoors in rain and direct sun).
Just make your own design using your design software. I would recommend making them 2mm or 1/8" wider and longer to fully cover the existing label and it creates a bit of a beveled look. Very tacky... place slow and sure, you only get one chance!
Cost: .50
Time: 45 min from design to print, trim, to application.

2)

Rear light added. This was a must for me, with tinted windows, black interior, there was never enough light at night. Found a push button LED for $6.00. I painted it flat black and stuck to the head liner with one side of industrial Velcro (only a few cents).
Cost: $6.00
Time: 30min

3)

OK, a puffy smiley face sticker... not a mod, but defiantly cheep and everyone who rides with me smiles at it/comments on.
Price: Free (took off a birthday card)

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Crazy thread.

Here are mine, so far:

1)

Not sure if the US and UK models have these, but here in Canada, you get these cheesy bright yellow and offensive warning/instructional stickers, written in two languages, on the visors. Horrible, right in your face. First week I had the car, I had to cover up those! I used a product I use in graphic design and signage, Avery® White Permanent Durable ID Labels for Laser Printers 6579
They are highly durable, have a high tack, resistant to elements (even used them outdoors in rain and direct sun).
Just make your own design using your design software. I would recommend making them 2mm or 1/8" wider and longer to fully cover the existing label and it creates a bit of a beveled look. Very tacky... place slow and sure, you only get one chance!
Cost: .50
Time: 45 min from design to print, trim, to application.

I actually just did a similar mod, except I went for the full delete of the labels. Here is my how to:
1. Park in the sun, leave visors down, windows up.
2. Come back the car a few hours later
3. Peel those things off [cool]
Cost: $0.00
Time: 1 minute per visor

I actually was in a rush to get to work last week and forgot about the windows and had left the visors down due to the bright morning sun. When I got off work my car was nice and toasty inside. Saw those stupid stickers, pulled at the one and realized it would come off. Ill post a picture later

·
Registered
87 Posts
I actually just did a similar mod, except I went for the full delete of the labels. Here is my how to:
1. Park in the sun, leave visors down, windows up.
2. Come back the car a few hours later
3. Peel those things off [cool]
Cost: $0.00
Time: 1 minute per visor

I actually was in a rush to get to work last week and forgot about the windows and had left the visors down due to the bright morning sun. When I got off work my car was nice and toasty inside. Saw those stupid stickers, pulled at the one and realized it would come off. Ill post a picture later
I actually tried that. Did nearly the same. But the results were not favorable. The inside temp. of the car was 42C. but when I started the attempt of peeling off, I was faced with the discovery that the labels were laminated/fused to the visor, not stuck on like I believed. I did manage to scrape a small corner that came away in small pieces, but it was just not coming away like what I expected and what you were able to do. Not sure why they would be manufactured differently.

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
I actually tried that. Did nearly the same. But the results were not favorable. The inside temp. of the car was 42C. but when I started the attempt of peeling off, I was faced with the discovery that the labels were laminated/fused to the visor, not stuck on like I believed. I did manage to scrape a small corner that came away in small pieces, but it was just not coming away like what I expected and what you were able to do. Not sure why they would be manufactured differently.
Thats what I thought as I had to try remove them before and thought they were fused to the vinyl visor. I just noticed that it was really hot and almost malable just started to tug on the corner and it slowly peeled off.
Not completely perfect as I can still vaguely see an outline of where the label was.

I havent tried to remove the marks, it might come off better. It was hard to take a picture of it showing the outline. I'm much happier with it gone

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i used a damp rag and an iron, worked perfect, leaves a tiny outline but barely noticible unless you're looking for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is a different look for the rear bumper. No pics. Just go to your local sign guy or computer graphics guy. Get 4, 4" black circles, cut them in half. Measure the distance from the driver side rear wheel well to the exhaust cutout. Apply one of the half circles with the flat part down onto the passenger side, using your measurement. At that point it will look like a dual exhaust cutout. To complete the look, put the next one in the center and then center the others across the bumper. When done it will have the "scalloped" look. It will only work on light colored cars. Looks great for less than $20 and no need to buy a complete rear fascia for $200 - $300.

·
because race car
1,948 Posts
there's always the fog light mod! cost under 10 bucks and I still have a bunch of wire and connectors left!

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
What is the purpose of this mod?
to quote tom from this thread:
Sorry I haven't paid attention to this thread.

This mod basically allows the foglights to be turned on with just the parking lights. In addition, when your highbeams are on, the foglights will also remain on.
want to say it was specific for cerain years(dont remember as my car lacks fogs altogher)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The 05-07 you can already do that, no need for the mod. I know for sure my girlfriend's 07 you can.

I don't have fogs so I wouldn't know.

not sure about 08+

201 - 220 of 708 Posts