Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I have been debating on doing a tune on my ST. I'm thinking about going with the ProCal from Ford just to keep potential warranty issues in check in the future. Yes, I would like to get as much umph out of the car as possible but since this is my first new car, I don't want to push it just yet. What I'm noticing is the information I find on the FP tune, Cobb, and others is outdated. They're all posts from 2013-2015 when these cars started getting popular. Does anyone have any newer, updated results or long term results from these tunes in 2017? I would like to think the bugs and issues people were reporting a few years ago have been corrected since.

Any thoughts on the Ford ProCal tune today?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
What other mods are you doing? fmic? d/p? Of course a intake.....You doing some type of oil separator?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What other mods are you doing? fmic? d/p? Of course a intake.....You doing some type of oil separator?
Felix,

Already have the catch can which is working great. At some point (when I can afford it) a FMIC and a new turbo inlet pipe. From what I have read there is no need to do anything with the factory air box aside from a K&N drop in, which I already have. The ProCal from Ford Performance appears to be a one time install and that's it. There is no adjusting parameters for anything. Whereas with the Cobb unit there is.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not to pull you away from here its a great forum ,but a lot of info on upgrades can be found at Focusst.org they have a whole subforum on tunes & tuners
Good luck on the modding , if your dead set on keeping your warranty then id go Mountune , but that catch can has probably already sealed your fate ? hell Ford wouldn't even put 5w-30 in my wifes TI HB ,said i would not be covered if something went wrong engine wise

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
That'd be up to you, emissions wise. The non catted is going to be louder, spin the turbo a tad bit quicker w/ pops/spatts....You want a tune for it btw.
and if they go with a tune, being non-cat will give them the option of adding louder pops and crackles via tune. Some enjoy the added noises and burbles they can tune in now. Check out youtube "stratified crackle and pop"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and if they go with a tune, being non-cat will give them the option of adding louder pops and crackles via tune. Some enjoy the added noises and burbles they can tune in now. Check out youtube "stratified crackle and pop"
Eh, I could do without the crackle and pops. I've never liked that sound. I like a nice mellow rumble or growl (depending on type of motor). Don't get me wrong, Ken Block's Focus is wicked as all get out, but that's a race car. Not a street car.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Eh, I could do without the crackle and pops. I've never liked that sound. I like a nice mellow rumble or growl (depending on type of motor). Don't get me wrong, Ken Block's Focus is wicked as all get out, but that's a race car. Not a street car.
Well the extra pops and crackles are just an add on, so no biggie there. The rumble/growl will just depend on your dp/exhaust combination then [:)]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the extra pops and crackles are just an add on, so no biggie there. The rumble/growl will just depend on your dp/exhaust combination then [:)]
I've been looking at video/audio clips of the MBRP setup and liked the rumble it has. I don't see the significance of changing the down pipe unless it's a bigger diameter pipe? If that is the case then I get it.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
I've been looking at video/audio clips of the MBRP setup and liked the rumble it has. I don't see the significance of changing the down pipe unless it's a bigger diameter pipe? If that is the case then I get it.
Well be warned, going to 3" will definitely increase the volume over the 2.5" ones offered. Last i looked MBRP only made 3" versions, so know that going into it. I'm not sure how the stock dp sounds with the 3" though, I havent listened to videos in a while. If going to 3" turbo back, make sure you have a good muffler and resonator

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well be warned, going to 3" will definitely increase the volume over the 2.5" ones offered. Last i looked MBRP only made 3" versions, so know that going into it. I'm not sure how the stock dp sounds with the 3" though, I havent listened to videos in a while. If going to 3" turbo back, make sure you have a good muffler and resonator
Ah, see, I didn't realize the downpipe was also 2.5". For some reason I thought it was bigger. Don't [boxface] me too hard...I'm still learning these cars. lol If that's the case then a matching dp would only make sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts