Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the engine on my 2007 Focus wagon 5 speed and I can't figure out how to get the shifter cables off the support bracket on the engine. I disconnected the ends from the transmission levers no problem.The factory manual says to turn them - the big plastic sleeves are knurled - but I'm not having much luck. Is there a specific technique to getting the plastic ends out of the bracket?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The plastic sleeves do unscrew but sometimes can be tight. Try pushing inward on them as you try to unscrew them.

Go to ~ 03:47 in the video below and you can see how they unscrew from the shifter end. Its the same at the trans end.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..but still puzzled....

Thanks..the ends on the cables don't look like the ones in the video, and oddly enough do not look like the ones clearly shown in the factory manual. Check out the attached picture. These are original Ford cables however. The black knurled collars just spin on the cable ends and don't engage anything. My mechanic buddy had a look too and could not figure them out. I did manage to get them out of the bracket by basically prying them out, but I'm sure this not correct. Im puzzled for sure. My other 07 Focus wagon has the same ends on the cable as well so it is definitely OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks..the ends on the cables don't look like the ones in the video, and oddly enough do not look like the ones clearly shown in the factory manual. Check out the attached picture. These are original Ford cables however. The black knurled collars just spin on the cable ends and don't engage anything. My mechanic buddy had a look too and could not figure them out. I did manage to get them out of the bracket by basically prying them out, but I'm sure this not correct. Im puzzled for sure. My other 07 Focus wagon has the same ends on the cable as well so it is definitely OEM.
I think the spring loaded knurled parts can be pulled back along the axis of the cable to widen the gap such that the gap can be pushed down on to the bracket. The ends just snap on to the ball knobs on the shifter or trans lever mechanisms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts