Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2014 focus base model today, and i am unable to disable the traction control.

i read the manual, and it states that you use the steering wheel mounted buttons to cycle through the menu on the guage cluster to disable TC. Problem is, i do not have that button... [dunno]

the car is a fleet vehicle, so i do not have a salesman to ask. i stopped by the local Ford dealer, and spoke with a service advisor. She basically was no help, and was perplexed that the car did not have sync or something. in fact, she got another service advisor to show him the car has power front windos and manual rear windows. [:I] she stated she will have a tech look into it if i get an oil change there...

i will be putting 30k miles a year on the car, and it will be driven in all conditions, which will see a good amount of snow. i would like to disable to TC so i don't get stuck. the car DEFINATELY has TC, as it was raining today and it was traction was "tested" and the car cut power and the TC light lit up as the car cut power.

so, any help? any secret combination of button presses to disable it? or did Ford cheap out and save the $3 on a button? [:D]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Must be closer to Winter, second one today for this question.

Moved to MkIII section where you can find the other thread & search for prev. threads on this.

Base S model cars are missing quite a bit compared to all the rest, TC switching is on that list.

Other models have an annoying menu to go through each time you want to turn it off (activated at each start) but at least it's on the menu.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
On the down side traction control can suck. When my 2012 was new, the worst situation was a left turn in traffic. One wheel hit a tiny patch of water and oops the car stopped MiD TURN and would not go at all. Which totally sucked as cars are headed right at me while I sat in the way..
Eventually the traction control decided to stop being such a PITA and now after a few thousand miles and three Winters usually never even shows it's ugly head.
So it is a learning process for the device..
Main warning is watch those situations where you MUST have control due to traffic and have water or ice under you... The car may decide to just stop because the wheel slipped a tiny bit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I found that the stock tires where the main reason traction control would kick in and often kill the car. Put better tires/snow tires on it and its been much less of an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put better tires/snow tires on it and its been much less of an issue.
although i agree with you 100%, it not going to happen on this car. it is a fleet vehicle. thing may not even get an oil change...

speaking of which, does ford offer a free maintenance (oil changes) for first 24k or 2 years? i can't seem to find anything on the ford site, so i am guessing not. thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My 2006 zx3 had a button by the shifter for disabling TC. Used it every winter getting up our road. Hill with a 90 degree turn, have to hit it fast and power slide thru it to make it up. Impossible to do with TC on.
The button was fast and much easier than going thru the menu. Never found TC to be a advantage, especially with a 5 speed. Sucks you can't turn it off. Snow tires may be your best bet.
Also miss the big 1" hatch release button, much easier to find in the dark than the little button we have now. Enough whining from me, the new car has a ton going for it despite the few irritants.

·
Registered
289 Posts
although i agree with you 100%, it not going to happen on this car. it is a fleet vehicle. thing may not even get an oil change...

speaking of which, does ford offer a free maintenance (oil changes) for first 24k or 2 years? i can't seem to find anything on the ford site, so i am guessing not. thanks.
The don't. Some dealers offer a free first oil change but since yours is fleet that doesn't really apply to you.

Just an FYI, the stock Conti's are just dreadful in the snow. Zero ice traction to boot. Idk what your situation is, but if this is going to be your "personal" car for a while, you might want to consider getting a winter tire package from tire rack (snow tires + steel rims - they mount it for you and ship it to you, you bolt on the car). You'll spend ~6-700 dollars but you'll be thanking yourself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
TC will not stop you driving in winter, it will get you far further, it brakes the wheels that have already lost grip leaving power for those that still have it. It will NOT brake you to a standstill

Funny how all Landrovers have TC permanently enabled and seem to have no problems on ice, mud or snow (OK the extra driven axle helps)

If you are going nowhere spinning both wheels with TC cutting in, then take your lead foot of the gas and change up a gear, TC cant fix bad driving

·
Registered
265 Posts
TC will not stop you driving in winter, it will get you far further, it brakes the wheels that have already lost grip leaving power for those that still have it. It will NOT brake you to a standstill

Funny how all Landrovers have TC permanently enabled and seem to have no problems on ice, mud or snow (OK the extra driven axle helps)

If you are going nowhere spinning both wheels with TC cutting in, then take your lead foot of the gas and change up a gear, TC cant fix bad driving
I can't speak for the TC on my new Focus, yet. Give me a couple weeks and I will.
But TC on my 2006 most definitely stops you from moving. If you have slippage on both front tires they shut down. Especially climbing a hill/driveway in snow. You need to modulate the gas quickly to somewhat overcome it. But bypassing the TC and allowing the wheels to slightly spin worked much better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Top Gear or one of the other UK car programs tested the old "TC on ice is bad" wives tale, by putting a selection of cars on a sheet of ice that was at a slight incline (about 5 degs), not a single car drove up it without TC on. ALL went up fine with TC enabled

TC works on the difference in speed between all 4 wheels, any wheel that is faster is slipping and is braked until it matches the others then released (in pulses). It wont ever completely stop a car as at 0mph all wheels will be the same speed and the brakes will release

One of its best attributes is it stops axle and shaft problems where a madly spinning tyre suddenly gets grip and twists the axle shaft. On my landy you see any wheel that lifts off the ground stop rotating till its back down again

Ford Owned Landrover for a while so had access to all its TC algorythms etc

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well I can't argue with Top Gear. But we know a little about snow in Tioga County Pa.
And with just FWD TC sucks in snow, at least as stated in my 2006 ZX3.
I also drive a 4wd ranger w/no TC, and a 4wd Xterra w/TC and stability. It works fine on the Xterra with the other axle pulling as well. AND aggressive M/S tires. But all season tires and just FWD? Not going anywhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, that's not the TC's problem, that's just simple physics. heavy car, lack of tread and lack of friction

Let your tyres down a bit, that helps a lot, as do proper M&S tyres

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check your owners manual, there is a fuse that, when pulled, will disable TC. I believe it will also disable a few other things but I'm not sure what those are.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One Top Gear or other TV show from the UK with a single Ice scenario proves very little.

And I got a laugh googling London Snowfall to check my impressions of it.

Millimeters as a depth measurement? Anywhere that gets decent snowfall writes that off as "trace" snowfall.

TC is nice to catch unexpected wheel spin. Most systems, like most ABS systems, can't allow limited spin or slip & that makes them poor for many snow/ice situations.

·
Registered
289 Posts
One Top Gear or other TV show from the UK with a single Ice scenario proves very little.

And I got a laugh googling London Snowfall to check my impressions of it.

Millimeters as a depth measurement? Anywhere that gets decent snowfall writes that off as "trace" snowfall.

TC is nice to catch unexpected wheel spin. Most systems, like most ABS systems, can't allow limited spin or slip & that makes them poor for many snow/ice situations.
Agreed.

When the road is a little slick on takeoff or traction is lost in "light" conditions, it's useful.

When you had the winter we had last year...totally useless. I'd like to see anyone try to get up a mile long winding hill with 4 inches of snow and a foundation of ice with TC enabled. Winter tires or not...

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
TC always gave me an edge on my '07 Focus. I was able to run up hills that other vehicles were spinning their wheels and sliding backwards. My '07 was a BEAST in the snow, and I just had Bridgestone Hi-performance All-season tires. I've never used winter tires here in Colorado. I once drove my '07 up through the Eisenhower Tunnel during a two inch an hour snowstorm, (6% and 7% grades). I actually passed, to my surprise, two 4WD vehicles going up to the tunnel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts