Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new member, this is my first post, but not new to the focus.
bought it new in jan 2000, now has a little over 288,000 on it.
at 188,000, the original belt stripped of its teeth at the crank gear. i found tdc with a screwdriver, put on a new belt etc, and drove it another 100,000 miles.

long lead up to my problem.
after putting everything together the car didnt run.would start but idle up and down if ran at around 3000 would run more evenly, but still zoomed.
took it back apart..everything still lines up timing wise.
replaced vacuum line,still problem. even with new line and hose clamped..its still running fast when hit with starting fluid.
took apart again today..loosened cam gears, rechecked all.
i'm convinced its not the belt, but i cant find anything loose. i shook the crap out of the engine getting the new mount on the first time, but cant find anything loose.
last thing..when the intake runner connecting the tb to the air box is in place, it wont idle at all..with out it it will idle as described earlier. thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thats a lot to group together to try and pinpoint the problem. So the whole problem is that it wont run right after this timing belt change? It only runs bad when the intake tube(with MAF) is connected to the throttle body?

Are you throwing any codes? Mine ran like crap after the TPS sensor code, which actually being a problem with the throttle body.

I would start with checking for codes, and checking to make sure any connection you took loose is connected properly. It might just be a coincidence that this issue started happening after the timing belt change, but seems unlikely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats correct. it idles poorly without the intake runner..but as soon as i install it it dies.
when the vacuum line is hit with starting fluid, the rpm's increase..so even tho its a new line, it still leaks. i dont have a code reader

·
Registered
658 Posts
Which vacuum line are you talking about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one i replaced ran from the intake to a hard line feeding something umger the coil.

i found the problem..another hard plastic line that ran into the intake or under the intake and ran into the cabin it looks like. it just kinda snaps in place doesnt seem to seal at all..but the car sure wont run if its not in place.
i just came back from the dealer looking for it in the ipc. but no luck finding out what it was.
so aggravating, 2 xtra days of messing around for nothing..but it really runs good and alot smoother with the new motor mount..it will be nice having a/c again after idk how many years..and hopefully get another 100k out of it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The pcv hose? I cant be for sure without seeing pics. Also check the pcv line, which runs under the coil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts