Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so looking around I'm starting to get worried...

What is that black tub connected to the valve cover(on the left side)? where does it go to? I havn't had time to look around under the hood in a while...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
It should run to the air cleaner

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is that in relation to the airbox?

I noticed some people attach it to their aftermarket intakes... if you take a look in my gallery I have an injen intake, but there is no where to put it. I hope everything is ok...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
It looks as if that intake uses the factory lower air box? If it does, it should still go where it was factory, in the side of the lower airbox.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, it does still use the factory lower half of the airbox, but shouldn't it have some sort of filter?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
It has a small foam insert in the box, if its not there, all you need is a Motorcraft #FA1693

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I never touched it so it should be fine. my intake is a PITA to get on/off so I'll have to wait untill I have alot of time to check.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ok, good luck brother.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It goes to your factory airbox, and most aftermarket air intakes have a spot for them too. The good news; it's not important apparently. I removed my whole airbox assembly to install my intake and needed a tamper-proof torx bit so I put it all back to gether. Well when I removed it again to install the intake, I had forgotten to re-install the stupid thing, for who knows how long? If you're not using it (let me know how that injen is by the way!) just close off the end or something and you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It shares the airflow with the engine to allow the head to breathe. I broke the orignal tube once and had to seal it off with a piece of electrical tape, and my car ran like crap. If it's left exposed, it acts like a vacuum because of the moving internals, and it will suck all kinds of nasty things into your head.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice header cover copy cat.

hmm ok so after i take a look i'm assming it has been blocked off, is it best to leave it be or should i get one of those small cone filters and just hide it?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
After I broke the original tube and before I had my AEM, I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a Mr. Gasket Oil Breather for $10. I took it home, bored out the center of the rubber plug with a drill press, and fitted it around the metal pipe coming off of the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just loled at work thinking of the kid in you avatar saying that.

mine is "ceramic paint made for high heat exhaust" and i bet your can wasn't covered in flames like mine. aparently this paint is supposed to cool down the entire engine bay. i've noticed a significant gain probly about 50whp.

·
Registered
461 Posts
really, a 50 whp gain from this special paint? I wonder how much to re-paint the entire car? HaHa (evil laugh, see you at the track!)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
03_SPI_sedan said:
i just loled at work thinking of the kid in you avatar saying that.

mine is "ceramic paint made for high heat exhaust" and i bet your can wasn't covered in flames like mine. aparently this paint is supposed to cool down the entire engine bay. i've noticed a significant gain probly about 50whp.
Well jokes on you, becuase next week, I'm putting a Honda badge on my heat shield. Lets see who has 50whp then...

·
Registered
593 Posts
So that filter is actually purposeful? I installed the FS cool flo intake and I just removed the tube and attached the smaller filter to the curved plastic elbo coming from the valve cover. Then I had the Focus in a dealership getting a wheel bearing replaced and when I got the car back the filter was gone. I just noticed yesterday but if its neccessary I'll replace it...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ouch! i hope your engine is ok, i just pulled it apart this morning my filter is still there i'm safe! yay!

no ugly tiny cone filter! yay!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts