Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i went for a good 100 mile drive, and my car just shut down on me. I mean driving just fine and bam... dead. Before it died the battery light came on and the rpm gauge was twitching up and down. And when i go to start it up (while im still moving when it died) sometimes i can tell that im not getting full power from the engine. Before it would happen once and be just fine, now when it happens it every 2 blocks. So needless to say im not driving it unless it have to. Any ideas whats going on?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
get your volt meter out and check your batterys voltage. Also, on the back of your alternator there is a plug with 3 wires coming out, check that those 3 wires arent broken.

Ive had to replace my alternator twice so far, and that wiring harness once. they are fairly common issues in the svt.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
are you getting a CEL?

and just to be clear, what are the voltages at exactly?

test with the engine off

test with the engine running

test with the engine off, battery disconnected

test with the engine on, battery disconnected.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, those i will check tomorrow.
car off is at 12.69, running its at 13.8-14

·
Registered
383 Posts
Also, just for a from a good maintenance point make sure you do the timing belt early. I'd just hate to see a nice svt launch a t-belt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check your ground wire. There have been some issues with the connections on the SVT's. Mine acted up like this a while back following some work at the dealership. The technician had not tightened down the ground sufficiently.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's a few.

-Engine lift eye to area right below right strut tower

-Battery to body

-There's one right by the starter on a bell housing bolt I believe

I always like to grind the area down to bare metal and then put some dielectric grease over them.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
also, a friend who has an SVT had an issue with stalling. New battery, new alternator didn't fix it. His positive and negative cables were highly corroded INSIDE the rubber/insultation coating. Check for continuity in the wires, not just voltage through them. Voltage and amperage are seperate things.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Those are timing codes for the p1383 and p1381. When was the t-belt last done? That was my worry like I stated before.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im not sure, i bought the car 4000 miles ago. I looked at the belt and it seems to not have visible wear to it

·
Registered
383 Posts
The vct solenoid could have taken a dump also. I'd just check and make sure the motor is in time. Make sure the cam bar lines up and what not. If you need to borrow one, just let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
(reading this will be like reading a huge book so please just read i need help)ok so i have 3 problems, 2 of them are really off topic and the other is sorta off topic( has to do with the electrical system) but you guys seem to know what your talking about, i have an 2002 svtf and i have a 500 watt amp and a 10 inch sub, when i am running the system hard, i will stop at a light and my car will just drop idle for like 3 or 4 seconds, the batt light comes on and then it will go back to normal, the and is my car is showing a cel, basically saying it is getting to much air, dose anyone know a typical place in the intake system for leaks to happen, ok the last issue is with my tensioner pulley (I think its that pulley, it has been replaced) i had the alternator replaced but when they replaced it the bottom belt cover wasn't put back on so when it rains if i stop at a light and the car drops idle, my serpentine belt will start slipping badly and i have to shut the car off and restart it and go on, but it also makes the same noise sometimes when it drops idle, it also dose it alot when i run the ac, can anyone help me with these problems, i need help!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Order a new set of batt cables. The power wire is probably shorting out and causeing it to shut down

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could i get a walkthrough on how to do this? Not quite sure how to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
get your volt meter out and check your batterys voltage. Also, on the back of your alternator there is a plug with 3 wires coming out, check that those 3 wires arent broken.

Ive had to replace my alternator twice so far, and that wiring harness once. they are fairly common issues in the svt.
Wow.👀🌅🌅🌅🙏🇺🇸

1 - 20 of 20 Posts