Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing some clanking in the left front suspension of my foci...

here's some pics of what's clanking around down there... I really need to get this taken care of. [:(]

Any idea of an estimated cost to repair?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Anti sway bar end links. Autozone carries some nice heavy duty ones with grease zerks for $25 each. They have 2 different ones, one with zerks, and one without. Different packaging, too. I opted to get two with zerks, but they are pretty much the same part. I still have to put mine on, come to think of it. That ball stud on the end of the sway bar will NOT come off mine! I need an impact wrench lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well do I pose any huge threat to myself or the car by driving it like this?

I can hear the clankin like if I go over a speed bump at an angle... I'll definitely get it taken care of ASAP.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
if you arent going to fix it youself i wouldnt drive the car any farthur than to take it to a mechanic. small problems when ignored lead to big problems. drive it if you must tho but be easy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Easy fix your self. Buy new end link and take out old one and replace.

I wouldn't drive any further as it is unless you completely remove the old one first. Then its safe to drive until you get a new one.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
its really easy to replace. u need to jack up the car, put it on a jack stand (i use the jack later on) remove the wheel. to get the endlinks off use a 15mm box end wrench and an allen key. to put the new ones on, u might have to use the jack under the lower control arm to compress the spring a bit until the new end link lines up with the tab on the stut. its a 20 minute job

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Stab (Stabalizer) link failed there easy to change... there about $35 from a dealer don't buy napa ones there alot cheaper built and I had one snap on me

in the picture that little ball way at the back is where the stab link is supposed to be connected to

Yes they pose a safety risk, without them the car will lean alot more into corners and that bar may interfere with steering as it did to mine

Basically you will need a carjack with a stand, patience, a socket set with open end wrench's thats about it for tools there pre sized so theres no adjustment nor will it need anything else

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
all you need is a long torque arm, and ur good, its an easy fix, don't take it to a dealer, you will pay over 100 bucks!!

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Anti sway bar end links. Autozone carries some nice heavy duty ones with grease zerks for $25 each. They have 2 different ones, one with zerks, and one without. Different packaging, too. I opted to get two with zerks, but they are pretty much the same part. I still have to put mine on, come to think of it. That ball stud on the end of the sway bar will NOT come off mine! I need an impact wrench lol

You do know that to get it off, you need to slip a box wrench around the outside nut, and then turn the inner one with an allen (or is it Torx?? I forget) wrench, right?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys...

I'll have to buy the tools to do it myself... seems like it would be a fairly easy fix. I'm driving this car very very granny like especially since I have a right side motor mount that needs to be replaced as well... [:(]

Poor foci has 120,000+ miles and is starting to show! I have a couple of things to do to her...

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
not to thread jack but i hear a popping sound when i cut the wheels when i am reversing. is this the same thing. i cant check right now there is an inch of solid ice on my car and it is still coming

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
You might need a pair of channel locks or vise grips to get the ball part of the joint out of the sway bar. A small pipe wrench would probably work best.

Please make sure you know how to jack your car correctly on a level surface, and chock the wheels with something- even a 2x4. Factory jacks, like the one in your spare tire well, fit in one of 4 reinforced places on the pinch weld: within 1' after the front wheels, and just before the rear wheels. Check your owner's manual for more information. It's a good idea to loosen the lug nuts before jacking the vehicle, it is also a good idea to place the tire/wheel under the A arm for safety's sake.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
not to thread jack but i hear a popping sound when i cut the wheels when i am reversing. is this the same thing. i cant check right now there is an inch of solid ice on my car and it is still coming
That's a different problem, end links will clunk on bumps and corners, very annoying. I also suggest that anyone who installs these purchase another 4 8mm 1.5 mm nuts to jam the supplied nuts in place, or purchase some blue thread lock if there is not a place for a cotter pin or a nylon locknut. I had problems within 2 weeks with my Moogs- no problems since I installed a jam nut.

badass3; I have the same problem you have. Investigate your transmission mount.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...

I'll have to buy the tools to do it myself... seems like it would be a fairly easy fix. I'm driving this car very very granny like especially since I have a right side motor mount that needs to be replaced as well... [:(]

Poor foci has 120,000+ miles and is starting to show! I have a couple of things to do to her...
Dun feel bad I wish i had your problems there easy fix's :( sadly my fofo lived its life with a family that absolutely abused it and drove it into the ground

Interior reeks bad, dog hair everywhere, screwed glass, stained seats stained carpet none of the interior lights work, hvac looks like a UFO cuz its worn down,
drivetrain doesn't run and has every problem under the sun, bad started, bad waterpump, timing belt, ignition, collapsed and melted with holes PCV tube, melted wires, VERY old and worn plugs, bad motormount, left spring, left and right shocks, a stab link about to break so this is a total overhaul (its hit 220,000) and look like its never seen a mechanic

XD this cars being stripped to its shell and redone again back to stock with a new interior :D so your job isn't that bad LOL

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
is it only in reverse if its in forward aswell it may be the frame mounts that are gone

·
Registered
467 Posts
great picture. I just had the same situation on mine. I am going through my whole car at the time.
Nothing unsafe, just noisy lousy handling. I would say easy to fix, but I am wrench and like busting my knuckles and having my hands bleed. Well worth the effort though, do it as soon as possible but if youu need to buy xmas gifts right now it can wait.[cheers]

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i know i need a passenger side motor mount and i am getting inserts for the dog bone but the mount under the airbox looks good. i will so some investigation tom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts