Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: How hard is it to get a new key for the Focus without having either of your old ones, being 2 states away from the original dealership?

Backstory:

So... the ignition locked up on my '03 (105kmi). Being the health aide/student nurse/economy car driver that I am, I couldn't afford a tow nor to drop $500 for the dealer to fix it. So after being abandoned in 30-degree weather (YOU LISTENING, FORD?) stuck in an empty parking lot on a Sunday night (long story) I got some rides and ended up ultimately discovering and utilizing the WD-40/hammer-tap routine.

Now, my ignition was stuck. REALLLLY stuck. So it took quite a bit of tapping. Only started the car by this means a total of 3 times, but alas tonight, after work, the key snapped off in the ignition. And no, I wasn't hitting that hard, but like I said, it was stuck good.

Now, I have the new ignition cylinder from the dealership still in-box (picked it up before work this AM, set me back $145). However, I only have the one key for my car, and when I asked them this morning to make me another key along with my purchase *just in case*, the parts guy at the dealership gave me a hard time (he was already giving me a degradingly hard time because I'm a 26-year-old girl planning on swapping the ignition cylinder parts) and said they'll only make copies with both keys. To which I asked him WTF sense does that make, if I had both I wouldn't very well be standing here asking you to make me a copy now would I? Oh and they will charge me a programming fee plus 2 hours labor. I'm venting. Sorry.

So now anyway, my original dealership is 2 states away. My only key is snapped, and the car still needs the new ignition switch.

Any suggestions, aside from the fact that when this is fixed, I'm sad to say I'm giving up my beloved Focus and moving on to more dependable, non-Ford pastures?[mecry]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question or two..

I have the 'head' of the key still, that's where the chip is, right? If I salvaged the broken piece and had a non-chip hard copy made, and taped the head of the old key to the steering wheel, would the copy work?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Actually have them cut a new key without programming and I will show you step by step how to remove the pats from the new key and transplant the old pats into the new key..

The Dealer does not have to have ANY of the keys pertaining to the vehicle thats a crock... I had a key cut for one of my focus's without the keys being present, The keycode which is 4 numbers and 1 letter (Example: 0000X) will tell them the keys tumbler set or the vin will

I highly suggest you don't tape/leave the pats attached to the vehicle.. (behind the shroud) or on it.. its not that hard to remove the pats to be honest...

All I did was take a box cutter pickup the key and on the top edge you will see a cap just slip the blade between the cap and the keys casing and carefully pry up.. the pats is the long Tube

your new key may have the chip epoxy sealed just have someone drill the top of the new key pull the old Chip vial out and drop in the new one then just buy some JB Weld 2 part epoxy mix it up and fill in the hole

PM b16sir1991 <-- Mike at Hilbish he can probably set you up a new key and have it express shipped out and may possibly be able to predrill the chip out so all you do is remove yours and insert it in the hole filling the void with epoxy/hotmelt glue..

Does your key have the Ford Embossed logo or is it a aftermarket key like a ilco key ????

·
Registered
50 Posts
x2 on mike at Hilbish. His number is 800-849-0233 x34 or ask for Mike in parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts