Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the old F.C. udp, the one piece. I put it on a few weeks ago, and have had no probs, and everything is good. But after reading here in the udp thread, I have a question. Why unhook the battery after putting on a udp? I don't get it? Someone please help me with this answer, I'll do it if it need be done.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
It will reset the ecu. this will help the car to "learn" the new speeds of the devices and realize that there is less drag, hence more power for you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ahh, thank you. Wow dude! I disconnected the battery for about 30 secs and hooked it back up. I had never done this since I put on my udp, cai, racing header, or plugs and 9mm F.R. wires. It seems to have made a nice difference in the idle, and definately givin the ol Foci a little spring in her step. Less hesitation on take off, and just more power and pep. I never really felt my mods did much, but now I feel em. Thanx, I had no idea you had to do that. Makes sense though.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I doubt that a battery/ECU reset will do anything to "learn" that your crank pully is smaller.

All the UDP does is put less drag on the engine so it goes to the wheels.
The ECU doesn't calculate the rotation of your accessory components driven by your crank and make adjustements.

If that were true, then people wouldn't be reporting that their lights or AC go dim/lo when they're at idle with the UDP installed.

The ECU is a good thing to do if air flow or other performance enhancing mods are installed on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts