Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well

It's time to replace the front tyres.

Standard fitment is : 215 /45 R 17 (Continental) - great tyres, Grip wet & dry is good, milage is very good (20K front, pottentially more at the rear..)

What they are not good at is absorbing bumps..

The ride is terrible - because the side walls are so stiff (and the suspension) - this makes any even slightly bumpy road a night mare.

My old focus (1.8 Zetec) - would drive rings around the ST170 just because it was still on the road - the ST with it's wheel/ tyre combo makes real hard work of most roads.

I recently replaced the tyres on my other car - this has 225/50 (ZR1 15's) and I changed from Bridgestone S03's to Toyo TR1S's .. and it was a revelation - I would still leave the suspension (adjustable) set to hard but because the Toyo's have a nice soft sidewall - this meant that the road holding was just so much better..

So - what I'm after is some advice.

Blackcircles offer the following (fitted price) :

Falken ZE512 (£85)
Falken GRB FK451 (£94)
Yokohama A539 (£95)
Pirelli P7000 (£99)
Continental (£102)
Toyo TR1-R (£114)
Toyo TRI-S (£113)

So - has anyone tried something other than the Continental and what has your opinion been of them ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually, the stock Conti's have extremely SOFT sidewalls. Too soft in my opinion. They actually cushion the ride better than most tires in it's price range. They also scuff up the rim a lot more than most tires because of it, you'll notice! I have tried Goodyear Eagle F1's and they are Extremely Stiff! They wander alot and bumps and potholes are felt a Lot more than on the stock Conti's. I've also used Falken GRB's on my old prelude and I really liked them except for the fact that every tire sidewall cracked within 10k miles. Ended up getting my money back from Falken for them. Other than that, I'd probably recommend the Toyo's since you'd had experience with them before. That is, if you like them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I am in love with my Falken RT-615s. Not on your list, but the best I have driven as yet, for a daily-driver tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts