Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

can anybody share a picture or description on where does the temperature gauge needle points when the engine is already warmed-up?

is it normal to be in the middle of the temperature gauge for the Ford Focus 2013 Trend Hatchback? or being in the middle is already a sign of overheating?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Moved to MK3 Focus.

Yes when the engine is warmed up it will stick to the middle as the gauge is a glorified idiot light and will hardly move from the middle from around 40C-98+ C when the engine is operating normally. It will only rise above this when the car is severely overheating.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Moved to MK3 Focus.

Yes when the engine is warmed up it will stick to the middle as the gauge is a glorified idiot light and will hardly move from the middle from around 40C-98+ C when the engine is operating normally. It will only rise above this when the car is severely overheating.
I really wish there was a way to edit its function (maybe using FoCCCus?).
Putting the car in test mode when you start the engine will let you see the real-time temperature. It has almost no relation to the gauge.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a scangauge. The 1/4 mark is about 109 degrees and the middle point is about 210 degrees. I've seen it go up to 217 degrees at the middle on a hot day. Once the needle is at the middle and the car is warmed up, it doesn't move higher. As suss6052said, it is a glorified idiot light rather than a precision gauge.

Some of us old timers remember that the old cars generally had thermostats of 185-195 degrees, so some owners may think over 200 degrees is hot. Naw, it's normal for these cars. Must be a by product of direct injection I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The higher normal temps. & the gauge not being an accurate indicator of actual temps has been going on since the first Focus in 2000 here.

Just when this started predates cars by this name....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im a newbie with the recent car models...just wondering if this ford focus 2013 does have a thermostat?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
im a newbie with the recent car models...just wondering if this ford focus 2013 does have a thermostat?
Of course it has a thermostat, but it doesn't directly use the temperature reading from the engine coolant temperature sensors for the gauge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts