Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is in regards to a 2007 ZX5 with a 2.0 Duratec.

Question #1
What is the name of the hose/tube that connects the air intake to the valve cover? I'm using YELLOW arrows to point to the hose in question within the below image.

Question #2
I assume you're not supposed to be able to disconnect it from the air intake without first squeezing the clip? I can pull mine right off of the air intake without touching the clip. I suspect this may be a factor in the car idling poorly?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 with the 2.0 PZEV, it was idling rough as well. There were a couple things I’ve done and the idle smoothed out. This is one of them.

It helped a lot, but I bet if I would have just replaced the IAC instead of cleaning it, it would have helped even more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! Appreciate the feedback....you're a good man!

My idling problem occurs when I push in the clutch. When I engage the clutch, the rpm's hover ~2100 until I come to a complete stop. Once fully stopped, the rpm's slowly decrease from ~2100 to ~900 (right where it seems like it should be). This pattern persists every time I engage the clutch....even if I only creep forward a few feet from a complete stop.

In my research, I found a few folks who've reported this same problem over the years. However, nobody every shared what they did to resolve the issue....except one person who said resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal and driving normally for about a week. I'm currently 3-4 weeks and ~600 miles of driving since the last time I fully disconnected my battery.

While checking for vacuum leaks w/ a can of carb cleaner, I discovered the part in the picture doesn't fully seat with PCV nipple on the air intake. I doubt the lack of it fully seating to the intake PCV nipple is causing my idling problems. Nevertheless, I know it isn't right so I'm in the process of replacing this tube and will then renew my efforts to identify a vacuum leak.

Assuming replacing this piece doesn't fully resolve the issue, I think the next thing I'll do is get an EVAP smoke machine with the hope it will identify any leaks in the EVAP system. Once I'm reasonably confident the EVAP system is all of that buttoned up, my plan is to get an OBD II scanner to see if I can identify any related components that aren't working properly (eg. AIC valve, TPS sensor, throttle body etc..).

I'm optimistic I'll figure it out sooner or later....hopefully sooner!! :)

Any feedback to help this aspiring shade tree mechanic is welcomed!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts