Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Ti since the beginning of July and figured these two issues would get better around the 1000mi break-in mark, but no such luck as I'm sitting at just under 1500mi.

1- My gas mileage (only in Drive mode and normal morning/evening commute) sits at 25ish mpg. My 2003 Lancer got easily 27 in the same conditions. Does the increase here just take longer than I thought?

2- there is a terrible squeaking noise which appears to be coming from the air vent to the left of the steering wheel while the car is in motion. Any ideas what that might be, or should I just have the dealer take a look at it?

Thanks!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I've had my Ti since the beginning of July and figured these two issues would get better around the 1000mi break-in mark, but no such luck as I'm sitting at just under 1500mi.

1- My gas mileage (only in Drive mode and normal morning/evening commute) sits at 25ish mpg. My 2003 Lancer got easily 27 in the same conditions. Does the increase here just take longer than I thought?

2- there is a terrible squeaking noise which appears to be coming from the air vent to the left of the steering wheel while the car is in motion. Any ideas what that might be, or should I just have the dealer take a look at it?

Thanks!

1- A NOVA commute kills everyone's gas mileage. What Octane gas are you using and from where?

2- WARRANTY!!! Take that to a dealer. You paid top dollar for a top of the line Focus. Make them take care of fit and finish issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks!
Is this from a manual calculation? The gas mileage indicator may not be accurate for up to 2,000-3,000 miles.

On owner's manual:

We do not recommend taking fuel economy measurements during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of driving (engine break-in period). You will get a more accurate measurement after 2,000 miles–3,000 miles (3,000 km–5,000
km).

So it looks like you're still within that period. You might also try resetting the gas mileage after your full fill-up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@benkap
1- But do you think the NOVA commute would suppress the fuel economy that much? I'm using 87 right now, but from what I read it may be better to move up to 91-93, and to be honest it's not a huge jump in price when you're only buying 10-11 gallons at a time. Thoughts?

2- I'll be making an appointment today.

@jhayne
It was a manual calculation from my gas receipt and the trip odometer that I reset after each fill-up. I'm hoping more time/mileage (and perhaps a higher octane?) will help the situation.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I've noticed that Sheetz and Hess give me lower mileage than Shell or BP. I've also seen everyone talking about running a higher test resulting in better mileage. It couldn't hurt, seeing as how it would only be a $2-$3 per tank experiment. Since you'll be in the dealer for them to look at your vent anyway, may as well talk to them about your fuel consumption.

Check your tire pressure, too. It has been SO hot here recently that it may be off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@benkap
Yeah, for the next 1000 miles or so I'm gonna use 91-93 and see if there's a difference.

Great call on tire pressure, completely slipped my mind to check that out.

Called my dealership, they can't see me for a week, but hopefully it's nothing too labor intensive to get the squawking gone

·
Registered
239 Posts
I take I-280 to work here in Silicon Valley which is a very hilly, twisty road. I suspect that's why I get similarly poor gas milage. I have 1000 miles on my car and in my driving cycle, I'm struggling to get any better than 29 mpg. The 36 mpg estimation is likely on entirely flat roads.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What is a NOVA commute?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed that a mid-grade fuel will boost your fuel economy by a little bit but not too significant. What is your green driving rating displayed on your dashboard by the leaves?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Northern Virginia.
Thanks mattiqx. I have heard of people who spend hours getting to and from work in D.C. every day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@thatairplaneguy

I have full green (5 or 6 leaves) for speed and I'm missing one for anticipation or whatever the second category is

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm. Well so far I have seen a large variety of gas mileage between people which could be because of how people drive and the terrain they drive in. I drive the hatchback model in the countryside mostly (slightly hilly) and average around 32-33 mpg. I am curious to see though if that is the actual number because sometimes the system seems like it's underestimating.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Try resetting your average in the car. I went from an "average" of 22.6mpg (car sitting in dealership for MFT update, and in my driveway when I was learning the inside features, etc.) to now having an average of 33.9 after a 120mi round trip and another small round trip (5-6mi) to bring my girlfriend home after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts