Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a flat in my tire. It was between the threads. Got a plug put in. Months later got another flat, same tire, this time the screw went into the tire thread. Left the screw in but lose air pressure about once every two weeks.
Is it better to buy a new tire, or is it safe to have more then one plug in a tire.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Get it fixed with the screw out, left in is a temp. expedient just to get to a repair facility.

It can do more damage or get thrown out to cause a flat any time.

More than one proper repair is OK, Plug patch from the inside is the best repair IMHO but there are good plug systems.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd also put that tire on the rear also.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There was a salesman that used to come by my dad's shop every few months. One tire on his car had....honest to god.... probably 50+ plugs in it. In the tread, in the sidewall, all over. He, obviously, did it on purpose to show how secure the plugs can be. Ever since then, I haven't really cared about plugging a tire. I do prefer the patch plugs, but sometimes a shop will tell me it's a 2 hour wait and $20 for a plug patch or a 10 minute wait and $5 for a plug. lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sidewall's a no-go except for demonstration purposes....

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I remember the high performance tires on my Contour SVT, a plug was a no-no. The patch from the inside was required.

I suppose driving at 140+ mph a plug could fail?

The OE BF Goodrich tires on my Contour SVT were amazing.
Early on in my life with the car. when I took one rear tire off to replace with a new tire, the guy showed me the old tire. It had five nails in it. one a big spike poking through from the outside and showing an inch or more inside the tire. the heads of the nails were worn off.. but all the nails were showing up through the cords inside.
The tire NEVER leaked at all.
Who knows how long they had been in there.

(My guess was someone was deliberately trying to give me a flat, as the nails were all near the same position.. (crazy hey))
Anyway, I an certain I drove on that tire with nails in place, at 130 to 140mph many times.. [hihi]

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
I live with a back alley entrance that is bare ground, dunno what the hill there was made from but used to be thousands of nails there and a hundred exposed with every hard rain. I used to pay my 4 year old at that time a penny for every nail he found, he would fill a bucket so full he could not lift it. Ridiculous. As a result since I do all my own work I learned quickly to plug tires and often drove them with 5-8 plugs in them and until they showed no tread, but I didn't race or otherwise hi-perf drive the cars. Can't count how many and never failed a one in a dangerous manner, they generally will slow leak if the plug flaws. One year I fixed more than 40 flats and getting tired of it. Got to where I modded my plugging procedure to about 95% dead reliable and using cheap Walmart plugs and glue. Now I often don't even remove tire, just plug it on the car, and in less than two minutes. Beats getting the executive treatment (wait 3 hours to get a tire plugged) when you buy the road hazard warranty. I quit doing that long ago.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,211 Posts
When I need work done to one wheel I drive the wheel to the shop (usually Walmart on a Sunday) in another vehicle, or use the spare, and give it to them. It expedites the process from two hours down to twenty minutes. The loose wheel becomes a quick side job for the techs.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If they're far apart, no problem....

I think they use mushroom plugs now.

The mushroom head acts like an internal patch.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Normal plugs do that.............the mushroom of the rubber strip is what keeps them in place.

I do the same thing as sniper when I change tires, yank the wheels only, since I always do tires in pairs. They commonly get to them in like same thing or 20 minutes. I quit balancing so even faster at times. The flat issue is not a problem any longer, I've fixed my own now for many years. Been so long since one leaked I cannot remember. One time way back one did, the hole was slightly too big for one plug so I took two and crossed them in an 'x' and installed and that one took also till the end of the tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts