Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a pot hole and ripped a hole in the sidewall of my front right tire.

So I just had delivered two new tires of the exact same brand and size.

The tires in the back are at half tread life and have never been rotated.

When I get the new tires mounted & balanced, should I rotate the rears to the front, and mount the new tires in the back? Or just mount the two new ones up front?

Just wondering since the rears have never been rotated, but at the same time it makes sense to put them up front since it's a FWD car.

OR.....should I wait till I have more cash and buy two more new tires so I have a complete new set? (kinda hoping to avoid that because of $$$).

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
don't rotate, ur tires in the rear last longer than the fronts.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda what I was thinking also. Thanks!

I just read that thread about someone who wanted two winter tires up front but everyone said not to.....so then I started asking myself questions.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
as long as they are the same tire, you should be ok. or as long as they are the same type of tire. like winter, all season, performance, etc. you should be relatively fine. if you put winters on the front and slicks on the back for winter, you will be everywhere. Something similar happened to me. long story short, i got 2 new tires cause someone ran me off the road. i replaced them w/ the same tire and now i have 60% tread in the rear and 90 up front. its just fine.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the rear tires have never been rotated, they may have some crazy wear patterns and not be too good in front anyways. You should probably just leave them back there.

I used to always leave the rear tires in the rear, and replace the rear tires on every other set of front tires. That was on a Neon however. The rears would last a long time. Proper rotation is the best plan though.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
problem lies in if you have directional tread or not. if he is running directional tread, then he cannot rotate until the tires are gone.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're Nitto Neo Gens. I don't think they're directional, but I could be wrong. At least, they don't have an arrow pointing one direction.

And yeah, the rears had way more tread than the fronts so I guess it was kinda good timing.

I tell ya though, if I had less than 45 series tires, I would have definitely bent the rim. Plus, the Neo Gens have a rim guard which I also think helped. I may take some pics tomorrow.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
those are directional, so you won't be able to rotate them. when you do rotate them, you don't cross the car, do you? you only rotate front to back right?

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct. Only back to front. Whew.....lol. My last set of tires, Coopers, were the same way so I'm pretty used to that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts