Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned to the no longer free-of-charge Pashnit and happily discovered an untapped web of roads north of San Francisco in Marin county. All of the roads run together and there are countless combinations and routes to take. After several nights of reading, I chose a route that I felt flowed well and connected all of the highly recommended roads from Pashnit. It should be about 90 minutes worth of driving, not including stops, according to my estimates with the help of Google Earth. While I've never been on any of the pavement in this cruise, I'm sure it will be a blast.

From Pashnit: "Marin County is so unique to California as to terrain, you may actually wonder if you are still in California. Especially if you are well-traveled and familiar with other parts of this great county of ours. Portions of it may even remind you of other parts of America. The pastoral landscape of farms and rolling hills always reminds me of southeastern Wisconsin. As you ride the motorcycle through this wondrous part of California, relax and absorb the feeling of this ride- it's quite unlike anywhere else for hundreds of miles."

When: 10AM Sunday, June 11th

Start: The Northgate Mall, 5800 Northgate Mall, San Rafael, CA
We will meet in the parking lot on the east side of the mall, closest to HWY 101 in front of Macy's and McDonalds.

Finish: The Surfer's Grill, 3201 State Route 1, Stinson Beach, CA

Route:

Since Pashnit is no longer free and I can't simply link you to the road descriptions, I will include some highlight quotes from the pages.

Lucas Valley Road

"If this were a perfect world, I'd own a motorcycle dealership and I'd place it at the beginning of Lucas Valley Road. I'd put a huge sign up for all the freeway traffic to see.

So you're interested in a buying a motorcycle you say? Sort of on the fence now are ya? Not quite sure, huh. Okay now, here's the key, here's a helmet, and here's a set of leathers- now you head out, ride up this here road and then turn around and ride it back the other way.

20 minutes later I'd sell another motorcycle.
I'd make a million.
Really."

"The uniqueness of Lucas Valley Road is that it's very accessible and wastes no time throwing out curves."

Nicasio Valley Road

Point Reyes-Petaluma Road

"A fun little romp, albeit a main road headed out to the ocean and Point Reyes Station. Think of Point Reyes-Petaluma Road as a fast, but rural ride. No crazy curves, just a smooth glide downhill past Nicasio Valley Road"

Highway 1

"As you head north through Marin County, Hwy 1 hugs the ocean for a few miles through several joyous rolls of emotion- the road writhing to and fro then passing though Point Reyes National Seashore. Some of the roads headed inland in this part of Marin County portray the most pastoral lifestyle, green pastures, many farms, lotsa cows."

Fairfax-Bolinas Road

"The ride on over to Alpine Lake is a thrilling roll of emotion full of wild back forth S curves cut into the steep hillsides. West of the dam up the hill you go in a series of switchbacks past 200 foot tall redwood trees as the road heads into the vast Golden Gate National Recreation Area."

Ridgecrest Blvd.

"Out of all the roads within this entire state, I have long been transfixed by this little spot within the Golden Gate National Recreational Area just north of San Francisco. The treeless expanse of green meadows never ceases to amaze me, while only minutes away are lush forests of redwoods. This diversity is a seeming dichotomy of two ecosystems living side by side."

·
Registered
22 Posts
HOW MANY CARS DO YOU EXPECT?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Hopefully I'll have a new shaved front end to destroy.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...
This ought to be fun
[:)]

RALLYJEFF: so far 2, are you going to be 3?
(I'd say 12-15 is a good guess - until proven otherwise.)

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not looking good. [:(]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks cruz, I appreciate the support! [thumb]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll keep my eyes on the lookout... [paranoid]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For anyone coming from Sacramento, there's going to be a caravan meeting at 8AM at In-N-Out on Truxel.

3501 Truxel Rd.
Sacramento, California 95834

8:00AM Sunday, June 11th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts