Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Make some good power early and tons of it at higher rpms... Wonder how hard it is to program for all of those variables?

So comparing that dyno vs a stock SVT...

how fun would that be to be making power through the whole rpm range like that? At 170hp @3k rpms would be great...

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Nothing worth twin charging IMO the Superchargers we have make WAY to much heat at High rpm.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Nothing worth twin charging IMO the Superchargers we have make WAY to much heat at High rpm.
well my understanding of these twin charged setups is that the supercharger essential is bypassed after the turbo starts making power, so would the excess heat from that be negated then? Supercharged for the low RPMs for better lowend toque/hp and then the turbo takes over completely after its spooled; so essentially its a win win situation, the pros from each setup with out the negatives? well after you get the programing, fuel and switch between the two dialed in and everything else working properly, which i assume is easier said than done.

or is the supercharger continuously feeding into the turbo, compounding?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys with the 03 and 04 cobras and doing the twin charged option and making good power.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Guys with the 03 and 04 cobras and doing the twin charged option and making good power.
The guys are making big power with out it as well , I think nothing has been proven yet and its a waste of extra time and money

Tom

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
well my understanding of these twin charged setups is that the supercharger essential is bypassed after the turbo starts making power, so would the excess heat from that be negated then? Supercharged for the low RPMs for better lowend toque/hp and then the turbo takes over completely after its spooled; so essentially its a win win situation, the pros from each setup with out the negatives? well after you get the programing, fuel and switch between the two dialed in and everything else working properly, which i assume is easier said than done.

or is the supercharger continuously feeding into the turbo, compounding?
Unfortunately thats not possible the supercharger is still spinning. While not making the boost that the turbo is it is still producing heat and forced air. if your running a total of 20 psi 6 is coming from the SC and 14 from the Turbo you cant just stop the charger from doing its thing while being revved

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
What everyone seems to be missing is all the roots style blowers for the Focus are all undersized turd buckets that are not much more than heat makers. The only one thats even cooled is the powerworks and just by changing out its pulley starts to overwhelms is cooling.

So unless someone comes up with some ground breaking way to greatly increase the cooing capability that no one has tried in 11 years then this thread is about as useful as a limp dick in a whore house.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why couldn't you do like a procharger and a turbo both feeding into the same intercooler? Seems like it'd keep the heat down. That seems like too much work tho, I'd just have a turbo if it was me...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Why couldn't you do like a procharger and a turbo both feeding into the same intercooler? Seems like it'd keep the heat down. That seems like too much work tho, I'd just have a turbo if it was me...
The procharger would end up being a restriction since they are basically a belt driven turbo and are speed dependant.

Even though a roots style blower would also be a bottleneck at least they are positive displacement so twin charging would work.... IF you could cool the boost.

The best way is have the turbo feed the blower.. but then theres the cooling issue and since the Focus has jack shit for free space under the hood you would need to machine the blower with an exit and return so you could run it to an intercooler..... but machining the blow is expensive.

I've looked into this and ended up just running a kickass turbo.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
And then you sold it!!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think that anything is a waste of time. I mean if someone has the time and money to spen on something like that and they want to do it why not. I mean there was a time we people thought the Focus wouldnt be in the 400whp range and people have surpassed that. Not to mention V8 swaps and not only are they doing these swaps but using FI on these builds. I put this up here to give some info on other cars that it has been done on. Don't know if anyone has seen them or not but there is a twin supercharged and twin turbo skyline and also a twin supercharged Lightning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts