Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
ST and STedan wheel swap:

Last week my sedan and my friend's ST both had new wheels for a few days, when we swapped for fun.
We had been wanting to see his wheels on my car for some time so we agreed to do the swap. His ST got my Rs, and the STedan got his Varrstoens

My Rs are 17x8 +46, while the Varrstoens are 18x8 +35. The wheels fit flush but the OEM rim protector pokes a touch.

It was fun to change the look of the car for a bit, but the fact that they were Varrstoens and not TE-37s bugged me a bit. I’ve always liked to go with OEM/authentic/original parts with my cars when applicable so this was a change. It was because of a 9-month wait for 5×108 Volks that Mario went with Varrstoens in the first place. They still wouldn’t be here today had he ordered them back then. That’s crazy.

Anyway, the cars are back on their own wheels now. Last Thursday we changed back. If anything though they’ve made me start looking more for ideas for next year. This was the second season on the Rs and while I still like them, it would be nice to change to something new and different. That’s what winter’s for; with them coming off soon I’ll have time to ponder my options and see what is available.

·
Prăk-Tí-Kűhl
3,178 Posts
I love the look of black wheels on your car, yours pulls it off very well. Maybe paint the R's black?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I think you got it right with the silver 17" wheels. They look great to me as is. They might look better in a darker silver-gray, like the Rado Gray ST wheels, but when wheels are all black like those Varrstoens it's hard to see what they really look like. They need at least a lighter pinstripe around the lip of the rim (yellow? silver?) if you go with all black.

The other thing I like better about your wheels is the 5 spokes instead of 6. An even number of spokes (or pairs of spokes) never looks as goood to my eye as odd. (Maybe it's just my eyes that are odd?)

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I love the look of black wheels on your car, yours pulls it off very well. Maybe paint the R's black?
I don't think so. I don't really plan on doing black wheels again (my GP had them last year) but perhaps a darker grey or even battleship grey shade.

If the Rs happen to go back on for 2014 I may look into changing them a bit though.

definitely the black rims look way sweeter on your ride [woot]....im go with what Heath Bar said....o and another thing that lip you got on your ride is clean[headbang]
Thank you! It still gets lots of attention.

I think you got it right with the silver 17" wheels. They look great to me as is. They might look better in a darker silver-gray, like the Rado Gray ST wheels, but when wheels are all black like those Varrstoens it's hard to see what they really look like. They need at least a lighter pinstripe around the lip of the rim (yellow? silver?) if you go with all black.

The other thing I like better about your wheels is the 5 spokes instead of 6. An even number of spokes (or pairs of spokes) never looks as goood to my eye as odd. (Maybe it's just my eyes that are odd?)
I've always liked the look of TE-37s so a real set would be incredible. Too bad it requires waiting forever or running adapters.

Don't touch the R's. The R's look better than the reps.
The Rs were a great fit for the car if I do say so myself. More Foci are popping up with them now, in fact.

With the Varrstoens' sizing a lower ride height is needed to pull them off better. I need to tuck tire like Mario does; next year.

I do have a couple ideas in mind for what wheels I would like to try and get for next year, but the price I could get for my current setup would play a role in the decision.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Are you looking to get those wheels I PS'ed?
They are definitely on the list. The price is decent for them. [:)]

Thanks again, by the way.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
The black wheels look really good on your car, but so do the Rs for sure. But just the way they are. Normally I prefer black wheels myself, but ever since you got the Rs, they're one of the sets I've been considering for when I "upgrade my shoes" lol

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Go for it.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Next year calls for coilovers, so in the photo it's dropped more.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photo. That's an impressive edit, matching the perspective and light angle of the wheels and car like that.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts