Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally picked up my focus yesterday and stock stereos are not my style at all. i'm putting together a front to back alpine system with a IDA series digital media receiver, type R sub and door speakers.

my question, however is about the door speakers. i'm not worried about the shape, since i know i can get brackets to fit 6 1/2's, 5 1/4's and 5x7's, but i can't decide between them. this isn't immediate, but i will be putting a 10 or 12" alpine type-r sub sometime after.

i think all three of these speaker types will do fine standalone until i get the sub, but my real question boils down to this. given the placement of the door speakers (so high up) is it worth getting components or should i stick with the two ways (either 5 1/4's or 5x7's most likely)? i'm all for comps and i see their benefits, but i don't see much gain to be had in this situation without kick panels since the tweeters would be mounted only marginally higher than the cone, plus i'd have to mount the x-overs, drill holes in the door panel for tweeters, not to mention the added cost of comps over 2 ways, even from the same type-R line.

what say you? will it make enough of a difference to justify it?

5,155 Posts
I think it does. Component sets give a much cleaner, clearer and crisper sound than any two-way set can. Plus, you'll get more bass from the two-ways, and if you have a sub, thats the last thing you want up front (IMO). Plus, not all component sets are more expensive, just do some shopping around.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna bump this one back up for more replies, i forgot all about this thread.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a nice set of 5x7 amped in the front locations and they sound real good, but now I'm about to step up to components. I have been lurking around athttp://diymobileaudio.com and they recommend these Phoenix Gold to many people and supposedly cannot be beat for the money. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6952 I have some sitting around waiting until after Christmas for me to install, and I plan on mounting the tweeter in the A-Pillar and woofer in the door. Maybe to a search on DIYMA for those Phoenixs and you can read some of the reviews and recommendations.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The mirror area covers (triangular piece) make a good mounting location if the tweets arent too bright. I have my Infinity Kappas there and they are solid there

·
Banned
143 Posts
if you dont wanna cut holes and muck about too much you can use double sided tape and put them on your dash. looks dodgy but does the job. otherwise get a hole saw and hack up the dash and you can mount them flush.

·
Banned
143 Posts
not directly related, but on the topic of tweeters... i find the stock speakers are lacking "crisp" high frequency sound. how would it sound if i get a pair of tweeters and wire them in parrallel with the front speakers? they have a set frequency response (2khz-20khz) so im hoping i wont need a crossover(???). oh wait i read about some tweeters with built in crossover so i could use them. and if the sound is too harsh i could wire in a resistor with it. im really not sure. any advise would be great.

thx!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mirror area covers (triangular piece) make a good mounting location if the tweets arent too bright. I have my Infinity Kappas there and they are solid there

wont work with manual windows, unfortunately, which is why im bringing this up. i'd have to mount them somewhere on the door panel, most likely, unless i cut up the A-pillar trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts