Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you guys mount your tweeters? Any pictures of the location? Has anyone done fiberglass A pillars?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would assume a good place would be below the power mirror control knob on the driver side and the same place on the passenger. I have never actually done it but it appears to be the best spot for it (just the right height and position). the only other place I can think of is on the door as close to the dash as possible and have directional tweeters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm about to mount some tweeters in my car. I don't think the interior mirror control caps are flat enough to mount a tweeter. I think I'm going to mount mine into the un-used portion of the stock speaker grilles, seems like it's the easiest place to mount.

·
Banned
263 Posts
i put a set under the side window defrost vents on the dash. dont need it here in florida and they just drop right into place and stay

·
Registered
518 Posts
I looked at doing that, but once you get the vent out, the HVAC tubing is right underneath, did you drill a hole to get the wire through the tubing?

·
Banned
263 Posts
no if you push down on it a little you can feed the edge of the wire in between the top of the tube and the dash. you can reach up from the bottom and find the wires pretty easily too. however if you cant, a small hole in the tubing is OK. if you ever remove them a small piece of tape will close it right up.

·
Banned
263 Posts
thanks for the pic. mine fit almost like that but i didnt use the trim ring and put the vent cover back on top, but that looks great also

·
Registered
548 Posts
4k Hz & up become more & more directional going up to 20k where most humans max out at. Kick panels are supposely soundstage sweetspot, but any where ear level pointed toward you is best in my experiences. Steeda's set up probable bounces off glass a little though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mounted mine in the Door...

·
Registered
518 Posts
HAHA, I have the wheels from Larry Ward's car.

Mounting the tweeters in the vent is certainly the easiest place to mount because you don't have to drill a 1" hole, but what happens when you turn on the A/C and send air to the windows? You've blocked off both vents, so I'd assume more air goes to the windhsield vent.

I'm going back to Boston soon, so I'll be needing the heating system to function on the windows, seems like the corner vents don't really do anything, only the large one below the windshield has any affect.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea when I felt the air coming out it didn't seem like it was all that much. So putting the tweeters there won't hurt anything.

·
Banned
263 Posts
yes it barely blew out of mine also thats why i had no hesitation about putting them in there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
How does it sound in that location? Sokmeone posted that it looks like in the Steeda car, it would bounce off the glass. My tweeters can be angled a little, I'm thinking that might help.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Honestly if you can tell a difference from the vents to the kick panels, then I don't know what to say to you. It will sound fine.[thumb]

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
kick panels, puts the soundstage right at your ears!!!!!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
A-pillars.....i love them here. (JBL GT series components). My ears aren't the best with loud high's BLASTING in my ears, so this is a good spot for them I think.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's not a bad idea at all! I checked out the mounting for my tweeters in the HVAC vent, not even close, so I gotta find somewhere else. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the un-used portion of the stock speaker grille. I'd rather not have the highs right at my ears screaming, I get a headache already from my speakers that produce mostly highs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts