Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got my new kappa 680.7cs speakers the other day, and Im planning on doing it up over the weekend. What Im hoping some of you audiophiles can help me pick the right location for the seperates.

First spot, on door panel below the woofer...

Pictures kinda goofy, just stuck it on there with some duct tape, the mount is flush with a rotating cup for the speaker, like in this picture:

Pros: less likely for a thief to spot (kinda important cause the whole reason I got the focus is that my truck got stolen and stripped)
Cons: Sound

Second Spot, surface mount on a-pillar...

or with the speaker...

Pros: Easy to install, looks decent.
Cons: Sound maybe? Easy to spot for theiving.

Third Spot, flush mount inside the a-pillar, like FocusInCali (thanks for all the great info by the way) has done in this picture...

Pros: Looks clean, sounds good from what Ive read.
Cons: Tough install. Easy to spot for theiving.

Id like to hear anyones $.02 on the matter, thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go for sound quality ( a-pillar flush mount like FocusinCali ). Don't worry about the theives, if there gonna steal from your car let the insurance compainies worry about it.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
do what blazin said, a-pillar flush mount. and besides if theives are going to break in your car, i highly doubt they will go for the $50? tweeters. it also looks better with them up there in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You know my thoughts.

FYI: The black horse in the photo played the War Admiral in Seabiscuit.... among many other spots in the movie.

By the way, definitely don't ruin your door panels and mount them there. If anything, mount them behind the panel on the woofer in a coaxial style.

The flush and forward a-pillar mount offers the best soundstage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Phil,

I had the pleasure of listening to FocusInCali's setup [:D], A-pillar tweeters included. Most excellent it was, even if I had to drive to the middle of nowhere (hard to do when it's still in Los Angeles...but it was all the same....in the middle of nowhere!) to meet the fine gentleman (Robert..aka FocusInCali). His system sounded wonderful, and I can only hope that I get to hear his new setup soon, which I can only imagine to be better. The first demo, however, it might have been even more enjoyable if that damned horse hadn't kept sticking it's nose through the window to listen with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside, Robert's setup (his old one) was superb [:)~], and without wanting to sound like a snob......I am an audiophile[8]. I truly appreciated the sound he had.

Having purchased two amps from Robert, and hence the visit to his home on that day, I'm now patiently waiting for him to get fed up with his latest HU (Clarion DRZ9255), whereby I'll buy it el cheapo (agreed Robert?!!!)!

One point I'd comment on, with the knowledge that Robert will surely address it, was the fact that each tweeter is close to a VERY reflective surface...that being the windscreen (glass!). The direction of Roberts tweeters, adhering to the direction that the A-pillar molding took them, pointed a little too much towards the glass. I'd expect Robert to agree that the drivers need to be pointing at a SLIGHT angle inwards (into the car) to potentially improve the sound somewhat [?]. Obviously, this theory would need testing.

All told, the use of the A-pillar as a location is definitely the way to go.

Cheers, Shane

PS. Thieves or no thieves......if the tweeters were in the doors, they can easily be chewed on or eaten by any horses (famous or otherwise), that might be passing while you’re getting out of the car. With the use of the A-pillars...no such threat!!![;)]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hahahaha LOL

Is $600 el cheapo?

As for the tweeter direction, the car is very reflective. The amount of reflection also has to do with the off-axis response of the tweeters being used.

The only way to dial in the position and pointing is to use velcro, etc. and keep playing.

I also use time alignment to center the image.

For straight up passive systems, my setup seemed to work best in the Focus. If I were to go fully active, then I might start playing around with dialing in locations and pointing. This only because there'd be individual driver adjustment for levels, time alignment, phasing, crossovers, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Robert,

I'd definitely love to come by and check out my "soon to be new HU"...although for $600 it does come with the car surely [;)]?? !!

Again, on a serious note (very difficult for me!!) your last setup was wonderful....SQ all the way. With the 9255 I can only assume it's even better. One day, over a brew, we'll have to kick back and you can embarrass me into getting my kit installed!!!!

Anyway, in an attempt to pretend that I had no intension of hijacking your thread, Phil....... I'm not sure what the specs of your particular tweeters are. So once again, from the verbiage that you'll find documented by Robert with regard to the A-pillar install, don't forget to take the available depth (under the A-pillar molding) into consideration. Obviously if the tweeters you have are too deep and won’t fit, then you’ll have to contemplate installing them elsewhere in the car, or buying drivers (tweeters) that will.

Cheers, Shane

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, with a unanimous vote, how can I do anything else right? Looks like Ill be investing in a hole saw! [thumb]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If they are too deep, you can always use fiberglass and make them look great; pointed wherever you want.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just recently bought a set of alpine 5x7 components and am looking to install my tweeters as well... my tweeters come with a variety of mounting hardware... I'm thinking about just putting them on the dash in the corners... thoughts? I know it won't be as clean looking..... but would it sound ok?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about putting them in the dash too, reflecting off the windshield should make them sound fine. The thought of pulling out my dash to install them is what disuaded me there. Id love to see it if you did end up going that route tho.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was thinking behind the airbag all the way up against the corner? still too tight you think? if not then I was thinking about the very top of the A pillar firing at an angle down and toward the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
also, another idea to make them less visible to theive, paint the little grilles tan, to match the a-pillar

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
don't decide where to put them until you listen to them in different locations

it also depends if you have time alignment

I tried different locations, I am using time alignment, and this is the best overall place for imaging and soundstage for my setup:

Oz Audio Matrix Elite 1" silk tweeters

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I thought tweeters should be a fixed distance away from the mids? Am I way off base?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It depends on the tweeters off-axis response, the use of the reflective windshield position, and/or the crossover slope.

Fortunately, the Focus has high mounted mids, so the tweeter is still close enough to work.

With my setup, I have the tweeters -6dB attenuated to blend well with the mids. This is another factor to consider when mounting in the a-pillars. Due to a more direct reflected on-axis high position, they will be louder, so they need to be attenuated in order to have the mids play high enough to have decent midbass, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I already installed my 680.7CS components and pillar pod was simply the best place for the front one tweeters (as FocusInCali said).

You have to be very careful with flush mount because they are two deep to have it in the pillar, so you will have to reduce the mounting, otherwise pillar will pop. Also try not to press that much the plastic nut that comes with the mounting for these tweeters or pillar shape will be somehow straigt.

Let me take some photos of my disaster before you do yours. I've got to fix mine. =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here they are:
„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ
Front Components (Pillar Pod):

„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ
Rear Components:

Hope this help you before doing yours man.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts