Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..i intsalled the 2002 european grill on my pzev and as you all should know, this deletes the grill turn signals. the problem is...i took the bulbs out of the grill signals since they were not needed anymore. i have the side mirror leds on my car and they worked beautifully before the grill installation. however, after the installation of the new grill they stay on at all times . in addition, the tail lights dimmed as well as the bumper turn signals. the leds are hooked up to the bumper turn signals. im not sure how to fix this problem. i would like for everything to function as it did prior to the grill installation. any ideas on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated. if you need more info on my car let me know. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
that will happen especially if both of your turn signal bulbs were to burn out. they completed a circuit. i'm not sure at this very moment but i'll look around and post an answer asap. good luck in finding an answer/solution

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to all who are trying to help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The previous reply hit it on the head. The turn signals complete a circuit that affects all of your signals. I ran into the same problem. I now have the complete European front set (bumper, grilles, fenders and sidemarkers). But for the few weeks before I ran my previous front signal sockets to the sidemarkers, I just left the bulbs in, taped them to a stationary point so they wouldn't dangle. Be sure to put them inside plastic or something so the bulbs don't get ruined if you do that. I wrapped foam around the bulbs first to keep the bulbs from melting the bag.

Putting in a resistor with the wrong resistance may cause some damage though. Be careful!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just a thought - not sure if this will work.

You know when a turn signal bulb burns out, the remaining one comes on but doesn't flash anymore? That's because turn signal flashers traditionally worked off the current flowing to both bulbs. Burn one out (or remove it) and there's not enough current to make the flasher flash.

One solution is to replace the flasher unit with a "heavy duty" flasher. These plug right in place of the old flasher. They are made for cars that pull trailers, where the additional bulbs on the trailer raise hell with the flasher due to the increased number of bulbs, increase in total current. These heavy duty flashers work independent of current/ number of bulbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas. i hope one of them works out for me. As of now i have no front turn signals and its becoming dangerous. thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i dont see why resistors would mess up anything, you could get a multimeter and check the restance of the turn signal bulbs and get a resistor that is close to the same resistance, maybe a little higher to be safe. the electricity dosent know its going through a bulb, it just sees it as a load, same as a resistor

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
dank said:
i dont see why resistors would mess up anything, you could get a multimeter and check the restance of the turn signal bulbs and get a resistor that is close to the same resistance, maybe a little higher to be safe. the electricity dosent know its going through a bulb, it just sees it as a load, same as a resistor

The resistance of a cold bulb filament is roughly 25% of the hot resistance. You would need to factor that in. (Measure cold resistance and multiply by 4 to get your equivalent resistor value). And remember, the resistor will be dissipating HEAT if you do this correctly... if you are really trying to put in a resistor that is equivalent to a turn signal bulb, remember that turn signals draw roughly 25 watts. That is enormous compared with the typical little resistors you find at Radio Shack, which are 1/4 watt.

Personally, I'd be looking to replace the flasher unit with a heavy-duty flasher as I mentioned earlier in this thread. HD flashers don't care how many bulbs are in the circuit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The resistance of a cold bulb filament is roughly 25% of the hot resistance
yeah, i actually thought of that right after i posted.. i hoped noone would notice [rolleyes]

and i didnt even think about the power rating [?|]

well there goes my theory out the window
damn... i wanted to be right [:(] [:(]

it just seems that there would be a better way to do it, rather than have a bulb hidden behind the bumper [???:)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
dank said:
... it just seems that there would be a better way to do it, rather than have a bulb hidden behind the bumper [???:)]
Hey, dank:

No offense bro, but I have already mentioned a better way to do it: heavy-duty flasher. They are like $10 at any parts store and they simply plug in place of the stock flasher (once you locate it under the dash). Skill level for this mod = rank beginner. Cheap AND easy.

Disclaimer: I have not actually tried to replace a fOCUS flasher unit with a generic HD flasher unit, but, these things have been around like forever and I would be AMAZED if this doesn't work.

Once more for the record: HD flashers are used on cars/trucks that occasionally pull trailers therefore the # of bulbs in the circuit changes. The HD flasher doesn't care how many bulbs in the circuit, unlike the stock flasher which is purposely designed to stop flashing if one of the bulbs goes out (to give you a clue that something is wrong)... or in this case, if one of the bulbs is removed.

'Course, the HD flasher is going to sound like any old everyday flasher, not the cool sound the fOCUS flasher makes....

·
Registered
446 Posts
no offense taken, i actually misunderstood you... sorry[:I]
when you said "heavy duty flasher" i thought you meant some sort of super bulb to replace the blinker. now after i re-read your post it makes alot more sence.[thumb]
sorry for the misunderstanding [:D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts