Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friend just informed me that her turn signal if malfunctioning, she says it won't stop blinking after she has already turned. what could be the problem, and how would i go about fixing it? i have a Haynes Repair Manual but i can't find anything related to that problem, so can someone gives us a hand here, and btw i believe she has an '02 2.0zetec. thanks guys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes does it just not automatically turn off when she is done with the turn (centers steering wheel) or are they stuck on no matter what position the switch is in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
you need a new airbag clockspring got one for my sisters car for 20 bucks off ebay or i think they are about $45 + shipping from bsir here on the forum

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does she have to turn it off manually? Or is it literally stuck blinking even with the signal stalk centered?

Probably just have to replace the turn signal assembly.

Had that problem many many years ago.. replaced the assembly, and it was all better again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
stuck signal a defective multifunction switch

Isaac,

If my Ford dealer is giving me the right skinny, this problem is caused by a defective or worn out "multifunction" switch that drives the signal. Replacement costs about $160 at a Ford dealer, where my car now sits being repaired. I have had this same problem for years in a 2000 Focus wagon: left signal just starts on spontaneously, does not turn off after turn, often hard to keep off even when the turn signal lever is at neutral position...

NC

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i will guarantee its the clock spring

those things go out like no other

and its easy to fix yourself as well

i had the same problem about a year ago.. the turn signals wouldnt self cancel...

go to dealer, pay about 50 bucks for a new clock spring

go home, disconnect battery, let sit for about a 1/2 hour

pop the top of the steering column off

pop out the multi function switch, as well as the washer switch
take off the 4 hex screws that hold the air-bag on to the steering wheel, and set the airbag aside

there will be one large nut that holds the steering wheel on the column, remove it, but make sure to either mark, or remember where the wheel was(ive found that its easiest to lock the steering wheel, then remove, so it goes on in the same place)

remove old clock spring

then put everything back, and youre done

should take about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how mechanically challenged you are

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
damn it, my clock spring broke too!!
I took everything apart... and found out the little thing on the steering wheel that push the turn singal back has broken...

other than buying a new clock spring...
anyway I can glue something back on to push the trigger?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i can't because my car have something breaks everyday...
now I need a new CD player, because the past owner hot glue the face on it...
when I want to pull the HU out and see what is going on,
I snap the face and found glue all around it,
that is why I can't pull the head unit out... because the hot glue is around the casing as well...
Now I manage to pull it out, so I either need a new CD player or to glue it again LOL
it is a stock HU and I wana replace it, but I am still mad when people glue stuff together just to sell it...
I buy the car for $4000 and already spend mroe than $500 to repair it...
lemon car lemon car... I hate people do crap like that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a way to repair this clockspring? I have seen in other forums that someone hase used superglue to fix the clockspring. Has somebody done something like that? Pr is there someone who could give us some images with a broken clockspring so that we know what to expect from repairing one. Thanks

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Doing mods to the clock-spring........just remember the circuit for the air-bag runs through this thing. They're not made to be repaired, just replaced. And for obvious reasons, like safety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I know that, and that is the thing that I fear a bit but the turn signal not cancelling itsef off is a mecanical problem (I think) and I am not planing to touch the circuits thats why a relevant photo of the turn signal conecting to the clockspring area whould help me alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone... I have seen that ClubPeugeot has some HOWTO tutorials in fixing the clockspring ... why shouldn't Ford have something like this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have fixed my clockspring. It was a piece of plastic broken from the clockspring ... my luk was that i faoun that piece of plasti then I removed the steering wheel and the clockspring and glued that plastic back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This Kinda thing drives me crazy, had they made that little piece of plastic on the clockspring just a bit thicker from the beginning then none of us would be complaining, but no let it break sooner so we continually need to keep replacing parts. Say what you like but we are lucky we are not one of the 26 million GM owners driving around with faulty ignitions with no idea what's awaiting them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I originally thought it was my turn signal switch that was the culprit but after getting a price of $50.00 for a simple four speed fan switch, I feared I'd have a heart attack getting the price for the turn signal. I got a good one from the wrecker but it was the same. Then I checked it further and found the tab that pops out when you activate it. Looked inside the steering column to where I could see something had broken off the clock spring and all was clear as mud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It usually is in the switch when the arm stays in the on position and will not cancel, return to the center position.
Now it the arm is in the center off position and one side continues to blink I would consider a clock spring. That being said It is worth the time to pull it apart and verify which part is broken, the spring or tab.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts