Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did something to my car and now my left turn signal is blinking very fast while the right one is moving at its normal speed. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
this means that there's a break in the circuit somewhere for the left blinker. Probably a burned-out bulb. Turn on the blinker and look at the front, side, and rear signals to see which one you have to replace.

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
^^^^What he said, but you only have to check the bulbs in the grill and the tail lights. When one of the main bulbs burn out, the car does a hyperblink to let you know one of them are out. The side bulbs are just a marker light of sorts. [thumb]

·
Registered
44 Posts
tiresmoker said:
^^^^What he said, but you only have to check the bulbs in the grill and the tail lights. When one of the main bulbs burn out, the car does a hyperblink to let you know one of them are out. The side bulbs are just a marker light of sorts. [thumb]
It hyperblinks because of the flasher modual which gets charged and discharged faster due to the fact there is less load on the circuit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing happened to me last night. However, my left rear brake light still works. But when I lock the doors only the right light flashes. I never opened up the housing but from what I can tell there is only one bulb there? Does that mean its perhaps a fuse thing?

·
Registered
352 Posts
the left and right markers are fused individually. I have had this problem before and that is what it ended up being. I thought it was very strange. But true

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quick flash!

oh_christopher said:
Same thing happened to me last night. However, my left rear brake light still works. But when I lock the doors only the right light flashes. I never opened up the housing but from what I can tell there is only one bulb there? Does that mean its perhaps a fuse thing?
Consider the fact, that in most cases, the turn signals are hooked up to a different circuit than the parking/running lights.

There are two filaments in the taillights (single bulb); one for running light (typically where the keyless entry and alarms are tied to) and another one for the signal lamp. If the running light filament on the left taillight or its fuse is disconnected or burned out, that is likely the problem. Try replacing that left taillight bulb.

I believe the replacement is a 3157 dual-filament bulb.

D

·
Registered
121 Posts
"I did something to my car" << if that involved putting in LED replacement bulbs, with out putting in, a in line load resistor. That will induce hyperblink.

Putting it out there..... been there done that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
aiden1983 said:
It hyperblinks because of the flasher modual which gets charged and discharged faster due to the fact there is less load on the circuit.
It was true for older cars, but I believe in all Foci ('99 and up) the frequency of blinking is digitally controlled by the GEM. So the only reason it blinks faster is to indicate an open circuit. I wish they did not include this feature because it makes putting in an LED bulb hundred times harder [;)]

By the way, if the parking light filament burns out, it does not influence the brake/indicator light.

Originally posted by CHillRyde
... a in line load resistor ...
You meant a parallel load resistor? [:)] Since the GEM measures the current, we need to increase it while leaving the voltage at 12V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts