Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, new suspension should be here tomorrow morning. On to another issue. I googled the hell out of this and cannot figure it out! My hazards all work just fine, but, turn signals I get nothing. I tried a new switch on the column, same thing, no turn signals. Could it be that the hazard switch is fine, but it’s not allowing turn signal indication to function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
So, new suspension should be here tomorrow morning. On to another issue. I googled the hell out of this and cannot figure it out! My hazards all work just fine, but, turn signals I get nothing. I tried a new switch on the column, same thing, no turn signals. Could it be that the hazard switch is fine, but it’s not allowing turn signal indication to function?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
You are checking TSs with ignition ON, correct?

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, that is correct. Ignition on, car running. I do have a very good amount of automotive knowledge, normally I would start with a flasher, but, from what I have read, the focus doesn’t have one, it’s the signal switch in the column and the e-flasher switch. I could be wrong though and just gathering misinformation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmm, the reason the hazards work is because they're controlled by the button. Something must be wrong between the the turn signal switch which as you said, is also the flasher relay, and the lights. Check fuses under the dash, I don't recall which one is the TS but it could be that since hazards are completely different fuse and relay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copy that and already done. My best guess is the switch. The local salvage yard gave me 8 of them for 20 bucks. Has to be one good one in the bunch. Trying to do the rear springs now, already ripped the finger open. Front is done though, took 25 minutes to swap struts, the rear is kicking my ass.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The 'flasher' for the TS and Hazards is part of the GEM. When you have the hazard flashers on are all 6 lamps plus the dash indicators flashing?

When you turn on the TSs do the dash indicators light up?

Verify fuses F33 (15A) and F36 (7.5A) in the CJB.

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 'flasher' for the TS and Hazards is part of the GEM. When you have the hazard flashers on are all 6 lamps plus the dash indicators flashing?

When you turn on the TSs do the dash indicators light up?

Verify fuses F33 (15A) and F36 (7.5A) in the CJB.

Paul

Tail turns light up for e-flashers, grill turns light up for e-flashers, dash indicators light up for e-flashers. Try to use the turn signals, nothing on exterior and nothing on dash. I pulled every fuse out of the box today, one by one, every one of them is good, none missing.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Tail turns light up for e-flashers, grill turns light up for e-flashers, dash indicators light up for e-flashers. Try to use the turn signals, nothing on exterior and nothing on dash. I pulled every fuse out of the box today, one by one, every one of them is good, none missing.
What about the two in the front bumper cover (side markers)?

Paul

·
Registered
944 Posts
I’ll have to check after work. Aren’t those just marker lights?
They are both side marker lights, turn signal lights and hazard lights.

>>Front grille and tail lamps have dual filament (low/high) bulbs, side markers have single filament bulbs.<<

If the parking lights are on (no turn signal, no hazard):
The side markers light steady with the low filaments in the front grille lights and tail lights

If the parking lights are off and a turn signal is on:
The side markers flash in unison with the high filaments in the front grille lights and tail lights

If the parking lights are on and a turn signal is on:
The side marker flashes alternately with high filament in the front grille lights and tail light

If the parking lights are off and the hazard flashers are on:
The side markers flash in unison with the high filaments in the front grille lights and tail lights

If the parking lights are on and the hazard flashers are on:
The side markers flash alternately with high filament in the front grille lights and tail lights

Verify your hazards work as described.

Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a similar issue in my Dodge Dakota not too long ago. I replaced the switch and had no luck, then I bought a new connector and got it to work. It was a short in one of the wires. Check for burn marks on the wire insulation or melted plastic on your connector 🤙

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well then. This is funny. So I believe the connector was not seated all the way. I pulled the dash to try changing switches. When I did that, the connector came unplugged, probably due in part to the shortness of the wires. That said, I plugged in a new switch to check if it was good, boom, turn signals functional. So I decided to see if the connector just wasn’t plugged in firmly in the old unit. Plugged in nice and tight, once again, turn signals function as they should. I guess I could have just pulled the dash before work one day, but didn’t want to get wrapped up in a project. So, she is all good now. Just need to remove the paint from the front signals (po spray painted them black, stupid).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now it’s on to the next, trying to trade this exhaust for stock. It’s just too loud for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paint removed from front signals. Wasn’t too bad. Down to exhaust and ac. Might just get muffler measurements and weld in a replacement. Ac, I figured attempting a charge will let me know where I stand. Ie- leaks, clogs, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well then. This is funny. So I believe the connector was not seated all the way. I pulled the dash to try changing switches. When I did that, the connector came unplugged, probably due in part to the shortness of the wires. That said, I plugged in a new switch to check if it was good, boom, turn signals functional. So I decided to see if the connector just wasn’t plugged in firmly in the old unit. Plugged in nice and tight, once again, turn signals function as they should. I guess I could have just pulled the dash before work one day, but didn’t want to get wrapped up in a project. So, she is all good now. Just need to remove the paint from the front signals (po spray painted them black, stupid).

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
It's actually a pretty common issue my friend. Glad you got it all worked out!

·
Registered
944 Posts
That said, I plugged in a new switch to check if it was good, boom, turn signals functional. So I decided to see if the connector just wasn’t plugged in firmly in the old unit. Plugged in nice and tight, once again, turn signals function as they should. I guess I could have just pulled the dash before work one day, but didn’t want to get wrapped up in a project. So, she is all good now.
[thumb]

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts