Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

For the past few weeks, the clicking sound for my turn signals has been working intermittently. It'll work perfectly fine for a few trips, then not on the next. Dash indicators and external lights all seem to work perfectly fine. It doesn't seem like a bulb issues, and I can find no rhyme or reason behind it.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I've only had this car a few months, and more electrical issues seem to be surfacing. I hate intermittent electrical issues!

Additional clues (in order of relevance):
  • If it's working when the car starts, it seems to work for the duration of the trip
  • However, the clicking did start working again once after taking a sharp corner (only once)
  • Clicking sound was not working and brights did not light up on the way home tonight (both are controlled by left stick). Not sure if these are related
  • Passenger-side HID headlight sometimes does not ignite.
  • Passenger-side automatic door lock also works intermittently (worked for about 3 hours on one occasion since owning the car)

Also, for what it's worth, this car is an SVT. If this you all think I'd have more luck, feel free to move this post.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I was in PC to watch my daughter graduate from North Bay Haven at the end of May.

Now as far as your issues, I highly suggest that you inspect and sand down the main battery ground on the fender well to bare shiny metal, do the same where the connector where it makes contact. Re-attach and cover with dielectric grease.

Post results and welcome to Focus Fanatics.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Moving this to General Tech Chat for better exposure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There seem to be broader electrical issues with this car. High beams do not turn on now; passenger-side HID headlight sometimes doesn't ignite. This evening after coming out of the store, the driver seatbelt light stayed lit while the airbag light flashed at me. Not cool. I turned the car off and back on again and it returned to normal.

Mechanically, there's recently a disturbingly loud sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, especially when cold.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Kinda seems like an issue with the multi-function (turn signal) switch which could explain the light issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda seems like an issue with the multi-function (turn signal) switch which could explain the light issues.
I had it into a mechanic today (belt tensioner assembly was toast) and that is pretty much what he said. He didn't sound thrilled to rip apart the steering column to get to this. Neither am I...

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
"rip apart the steering column"?
It's a two minute job that requires nothing more than a flat head screwdriver. Save some cash and do it yourself. A couple of youtube videos show how.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I havent done a turn signal switch, but it its anything like replacing the wiper switch, then itll be super easy. I changed the wiper switch in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to looking this up. The part is cheap and it looks trivial to do.

Before I hit up Amazon, is it feasible that a faulty turn signal / multifunction switch could allow the turn signal lights to work properly, yet not transmit that "click" noise? And that a faulty switch could properly show the "brights" indicator on the dash, yet prevent the headlights themselves from switching to high beams?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts