Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did this repair in 30min.
You saved me much frustration with your easy clear directions.
Saved a ton of money doing this myself.
Cheers![cheers][cheers]

Steering Column - Ingition Problem Solved - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Please take a look at the link posted above. From your limited description it sounds like it may not be the key tumbler but either the starter switch located on the left side of the steering column or the linkage mechanism located through the center of the steering column that connects the key tumbler on the right to the starter switch on the left.

My daughters car had the same problem that started intermittently. Turn the key and it was ok, at times you had to turn the key back and forth to get the starter to engage. Slowly it got worse until one day she could not get it to start at all. Her starter, starter solenoid, starter switch, neutral safety switch, starter relay and key tumbler were OK. It was the linkage in (around) the steering column that was bad. You do not need to remove the steering wheel air bag or column to repair/replace it.

The link gives all you will need to repair it. I have had at least two others on this forum list what I feel is the same problem on '07 and '08 models and neither got back to me to let me know if I was right.

Check it out and let us know what you end up finding wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just completed this repair, too. Getting to some of the little screws to take out the flange was not nearly as entertaining as getting them back in, but hey, it's back together and working perfectly. I was going to take pictures of the process, but it started raining and I just wanted to finish since I wasn't in a garage.

BTW, there is one correction: you absolutely can get a new security bolt--the big one that is missing the head. Ford sells it; I picked it up at the dealership for about $8 after tax, but I'm sure you can get it online cheaper (which is how I got the flange). It's part number W302562-S300, and it has a hex head that will twist off once you torque it down properly.

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
Just replace it with a standard head metric bolt that does NOT twist off. Much cheaper. And now you can remove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
""""Did they fix the problem on later years? """"

YES Ford did fix the problem
The OLD cylinder had an offset keyway
The NEW cylinder has a keyway that is centered
So when one gets a repair kit from Ford the keyway is centered as well as any cars from 2005 and onwards

BTW I never heard of a recall, probably in the earlier years that problem may have been taken care via the warranty route or a freebie by a caring dealer

My wife's Dodge Neon started to have ignition cylinder troubles and I drove it straight to the dealer, while I could
How much did the repair cost? Im having the same issue with my 2009 Ford Focus SE. Most times it starts perfect and other times I have to turn the key at least 2 times to get it to start. I wasn't sure if it was the anti theft system as Ford has the computer chip in the key or if its the ignition. Hopefully its nothing major but I am going to get it looked at.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Did you see post #41 just above?

Here's another link to the thread that likely fits your problem:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/309714-steering-column-ingition-problem-solved.html?highlight=

Earlier models had a lock cylinder problem at times, that relates to not being able to turn the key. Quite a bit different from any problems with the actual switch, or in the case of later models ('08 -'11) that can have problems with the column lock mechanism connecting the lock cylinder TO the actual switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am taking my car to the shop Saturday afternoon to get it looked at. At first I was going to take it to the dealership and the dealership charges a $99 diagnostics fee and I cant really afford to put that out along with the cost of the repair. And the shop I started going to recently has no diagnostic charge so Im taking it there Saturday after work. Hopefully my car wont die on me from now until then. And hopefully its a minor issue that wont be too costly or even be time consuming. But so far this week I had one issue in the AM yesterday morning of having to turn the key 4-5 times and once this morning having to turn it 2 times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took the car to a shop and turns out the problem is in fact the ignition switch needs replaced. However according to the parts department it requires more work then to just take out and replace the ignition switch. And for the dealership to make the repair its $584 and the shop that diagnosed the issue is asking for $293 and my father has perfect experience with fixing cars but I don't think he can do anything involving programming with the anti theft system. So whats the best step to take to get the issue resolved?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
We can't give you much more info. based on guesses from a shop & a Dealer parts department.

Anti-theft isn't involved, I can tell you that much. Only comes into play if you change keys.

IMHO the switch replacement is a guess, and you should read the thread I linked on the steering column lock mechanism. That details how the mechanism can wear to NOT move the switch properly.

Remember, there are THREE parts involved here (without getting into the key chip sensor). Lock cylinder works the lock mechanism which moves the actual electrical switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the shop I took the car to this morning after a computer diagnostic the problem is in fact the ignition switch. I watched a youtube video of someone who had the same issue with their 2009 Ford Focus SE and he said that all he had to do was replace the ignition switch which is located on the bottom left side of the steering column. I may take the cover off and look at the switch myself and see how easy it is to remove and reattach. I was also given advise that I can disconnect and reconnect the battery. But Im only doing that at home incase I screw up.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
REALLY wish you'd read that thread.

Passing on unusual info. on fixes is one of the most valuable functions of the Forum, and this is def. an unusual one.

You probably SHOULD dig in there and pull the switch so you can turn it manually as a test. With the key in the lock so the chip can be read you should be able to turn it on & start it from the switch.

The problem that member found and posted for others to use is that the mechanism does NOT always turn the switch properly when worn, and all the "computer diagnostic" can possibly tell is that the switch isn't making contact when the key is turned. It can't tell why, only that it isn't happening. (don't NEED a computer for that)

You'd get the same result from a bad switch, a mechanism not turning it right, or not turning it at all - "computers" are dumb and can only tell you what they're fed for info..

One helpful diagnostic from that thread is that it usually works when the key is pushed in once worn a bit, when you've had trouble getting it to crank by just turning the key. IF you confirm yours working that way, it points directly to the problem I mentioned at the start - NOT the switch itself.

Not here to argue, and you MIGHT have actually gotten a recommendation for the actual fix I'm talking about without knowing it. Note the parts dept. comment that more is involved than just the switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the ignition switch replaced on my 2009 Ford Focus and ever since the car starts on the first turn of the key. So it was infact the ignition switch. I was previously informed in November that my right upper engine mount needs replaced. It looks okay but I don't know if that means anything. I was also told that a torque mount needs replaced as well as the engine valve gaskets along with the drive belt. But this was after a November oil change and I had my January oil change done elsewhere that didn't tell me anything. So hopefully the 2 mounts and the gasket are okay. The drive belt appears okay as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2010 Focus S manual transmission with 77,000 miles, just replaced the right front wheel bearing. Car won't start sometimes, at first I thought was the neutral safety switch in the clutch pedal. Now I found that when I push the key while turning to start, starts okay. what could it be ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Four years after your post; I'm wondering how replacing the lock housing assembly went with your daughters car? I think I have the same problem: starts one moment, no crank/no start the next. I have since swapped two ignition switches; doubt it's the lock cylinder, since the existing/original - albeit looser than when driven off the lot, nine+ years ago - still accepts the key, and drives the small pin into the ignition switch, when turned.

Any update/reply you can provide, will be appreciated, as I'm at a crossroads whether to take to regular mechanic to see if it's the starter/solenoid, etc. (may well be?), or to the dealer, and spend an arm and a leg to have them repair it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Usually when this starts to happen you can push the key into the cylinder while turning to start and it will crank. If this happens it is a sure sign the problem is the lock module
9L8Z-3511-A Lock Module - Automatic Transmission TSB 09-19-15 states concern is with 2008 to 2010 focus escape and mariners built before 8/3/2009

·
Registered
10 Posts
TiIngot: I need to do this to my 2008 Focus SES, however, I need to remove the steering wheel, to get clear access to the lock housing assembly. Do you - or anyone - know how to remove the steering wheel? Can you refer me to video/directions on the internet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
great post

Tilngot had it spot on, I filed a groove in the headless bolt too so I can take it off next time too, lol. Catman, you should be able to turn the steering wheel just right so you can access the last screw like Tilngot described. Don't take the key assembly out before you turn the wheel because then you will have to wrestle it back in. I have a 2008 escape, btw.
in an emergency you can start the car with a screwdriver. Take the ignition relay part off but leave it connected to the wires and let it hang. Put the key in so the chip sensor knows it's there. Stick the screwdriver in the hole in the relay and turn it just like a key and there you go. Remember to not lock your key in the car, lol. My wife managed to do this all weekend while I waited for the part.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts