Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been through the local Dealer and threads and nothing matches. The car drove fine and as I pulled in the driveway it died. When I turn the ignition key now the "Check Fuel Cap" light comes on and then goes off. The Oil light comes on and stays on (Oil level is good). The light by the Hazard Light switch starts to blink really fast. BUT, the car won't even give a clicking noise. With the key in the "ON" position I can't even get the car in neutral so I can push it over to the side of the driveway.

I tried disconnecting the battery (terminals are clean) and reconnecting it - nothing

It has acted up in the recent past (two months) where it would not start. The dealership said to try disconnecting the battery and try a different battery - it did start then. When I had the old (1 1/2 yr and not a cheapo either) battery tested it was good. The alternator bench tested good. The next time it wouldn't start I just disconnected the battery leads and reconnected them and off I went.

OK - What is the deal? [gunfire] Is this my best alternative?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the blinking light is the anti theft light. I believe when it blinks fast it means there is an issue with the anti theft system Have you tried a different key?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
when the check engine light is blinking it's a serious misfire. It's blinking to let you know you have to stop and check asap. I'd do a compression test and see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
What does the odometer display look like?

To get the car into neutral so you can push it- use the emergency shifter release. It's hidden in the console under a plug- look in your owner's manual for more information. I don't have an AT, so I can't be more descriptive than that. You can use your key or a screwdriver. All cars have these, but some are more hidden than others.

Are those the only lights that show up on the dash? Oil light on is normal, you have no oil pressure without the engine running.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the PATS system (anit-theft) do you have a spare key? See if that works. It may just be an issue with the key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the other key and it has the same result. The anti-theft light does normally blink, but when I turn the ignition on it blinks really fast. I will look for the emergency shifter release. At least then It will be out of the way. If I can't get it figured out it may have to go for a trade!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, after sitting for two days I went out to check on the shift release and I was able the turn on the car, but it did not start. It only clicked once. I was able though to get it into neutral and move it out of the way. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would see what the voltage is at the battery terminals, if you are having an issue with the alternator not charging it you could end up like you are. The ECU acts up when voltage gets low, even if the alternator checked good it could have a wiring problem that is either not letting it charge correctly, or make it back to the battery. If you have a spare battery that you could connect up to for checking if the car starts, I would do that too. Jump starting is okay, but if your battery is dead or really really low it could load your system down and ruin the alternator once you remove the jumper cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was so frustrated I have been just driving by Ford Truck (Bad on mileage!!) Thanks, I will give that a try. I did find a good electric man from a friend and when I get is started again I'm letting him work it over he is thinking along the same lines you are about this "problem."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now what do you all think?

OK, before I changed out the battery I tried to crank the Focus. All I got was a couple of clicks. I changed out the Focus battery with another battery. The car started right up, twice. Then I put the Focus battery back in and thought I'd try to start the car. It started right up, twice. I tested the cells of the Focus battery and all showed good. Before I take this thing out to the back "40" and put it out out of my misery [gunfire], do you all still think it's the alternator?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would check the wiring on the starter. Its possible the solenoid is getting stuck or the wires are loose. Especially the ground cable.

HTH LMK

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is definitely not the battery, get the car checked by some electrician. So many thing could provoke the car to do just nothing, i.e when you have the transmission in D if you turn off the car and try starting it will do nothing and it is controlled by some computer module to dont harm the tranny, or maybe some sensor or solenoid is not working properly. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts