Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was entertaining the thought of possibly putting a turbo into my focus. Thing is, I'm not sure what else I would have to do in order to run it safely. I'm guessing I'd need to keep it down around 8psi in order to be able to have it a DD. My biggest issue would just be cost (of course). I'm running a stock Duratec 2.0L in my '08 Focus SE Coupe right now and was worried about whether the stock parts could keep up with the turbo and not worry about undue wear from it or anything. I've seen people who've done their turbo and just wrecked it (though this did involve other things probably, like it not being tuned correctly) and if I'm already going to spend $2,000-$4,000 getting this complete turbo kit then I want to make sure that I do it right and don't mess something up. Anyone know any ideas or have done this themselves and can give me some do's and don'ts pointers. I was thinking about getting the FSWerks Stage 1 Turbo kit, I've seen it in action and know that it can go pretty hard and I've heard it's very reliable as well. If I did decide to do this then I would have already put on a FS 2.5" Stealth Exhaust or a 2.5" Cosworth, not sure yet. If I decide not to go turbo I'll probably just be slapping on a CAI.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
if you go with a turbo kit you might want to also look into a better clutch setup. You would be just fine with a stage 2 kit for a DD. The 2.5 exhaust would be the minimum size I would run with a turbo as well.

If you want to stay NA go with a CAI, 2.5" exhaust and a tune, good for about 20whp, make a nice difference on the street.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
So I was entertaining the thought of possibly putting a turbo into my focus. Thing is, I'm not sure what else I would have to do in order to run it safely. I'm guessing I'd need to keep it down around 8psi in order to be able to have it a DD. My biggest issue would just be cost (of course). I'm running a stock Duratec 2.0L in my '08 Focus SE Coupe right now and was worried about whether the stock parts could keep up with the turbo and not worry about undue wear from it or anything. I've seen people who've done their turbo and just wrecked it (though this did involve other things probably, like it not being tuned correctly) and if I'm already going to spend $2,000-$4,000 getting this complete turbo kit then I want to make sure that I do it right and don't mess something up. Anyone know any ideas or have done this themselves and can give me some do's and don'ts pointers. I was thinking about getting the FSWerks Stage 1 Turbo kit, I've seen it in action and know that it can go pretty hard and I've heard it's very reliable as well. If I did decide to do this then I would have already put on a FS 2.5" Stealth Exhaust or a 2.5" Cosworth, not sure yet. If I decide not to go turbo I'll probably just be slapping on a CAI.
You have a PM.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
see there you go, answers right from the company!
Good luck with your mods and let us know how everything turns out.

I wish I could boost mine, makes me jealous to here about everyone getting boosted!

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I wish I could boost mine, makes me jealous to here about everyone getting boosted!
Took me over a year to collect parts and get extra time/money to install my kit. Its worth it every time I get in the car....and I still get 30-31 mpg on the highway!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I might not be boosting mine at all. I might just be doing the FSWerks CAI, Stealth exhaust and tune. And I'm not sure whether I want the Stealth exhaust or go for a bit deeper sound and choose between the other race exhaust from FS or get a Borla. All these decisions to make!
And you think I would really have to upgrade the clutch if I decided to go with a Stage 1? I didn't think I would have to, or maybe that's just inexperience on my part. I do only have a auto (sadly I couldn't get a manual because I couldn't find at the time and one of my parents is having to use my car [mother] and she doesn't know how to drive a stick! ergh)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took me over a year to collect parts and get extra time/money to install my kit. Its worth it every time I get in the car....and I still get 30-31 mpg on the highway!
Yeah, I'm pretty lucky because I might just be able to use tax return money towards doing the CAI, exhaust and turbo all at once and get a tune after it's all been installed (would be real nice!) but I'm still debating whether I want to do the turbo or rip out the back seats and replace the area with a custom system back there. I mean I wouldn't do anything big but by taking out the back seats I could mitigate the added weight from the JL system I plan on putting in and since I don't have kids/family and normally just have one person in my car it would be doable for me to keep it as a DD. I think I should be getting about 4-5k back this tax season so let's see how far I can stretch it as far as mods go! This forum is really opening up my eyes to a world of Focus modding that I had no clue existed!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Try a Torsen, Exedy clutch, & CFM's LCA's!

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky because I might just be able to use tax return money towards doing the CAI, exhaust and turbo all at once and get a tune after it's all been installed (would be real nice!) but I'm still debating whether I want to do the turbo or rip out the back seats and replace the area with a custom system back there. I mean I wouldn't do anything big but by taking out the back seats I could mitigate the added weight from the JL system I plan on putting in and since I don't have kids/family and normally just have one person in my car it would be doable for me to keep it as a DD. I think I should be getting about 4-5k back this tax season so let's see how far I can stretch it as far as mods go! This forum is really opening up my eyes to a world of Focus modding that I had no clue existed!
I'd do a Torsen, Exedy clutch, CFM's LCA's, Steeda's STS, to start w/. Go turbo, go stage 2 & add the GT28R to start.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tip to get 5k taxes back: I claim as single and have them pull on more than what they normally would pull out. It about 3 months I had about 1k of refundable taxes taken out of my paychecks. And because I've never owed any money and make sure my taxes are paid I never do owe and get it all back.

And as far as the turbo and stuff go. I really didn't think I would have to go with a Stage 2 or to upgrade everything else besides the intake and exhaust. I'm not really planning on racing this too much or anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts