Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an 09 Focus what would be a better route turbo or nitrous?.. i know nitrous most you can use is a 50 shot to be safe, how much boost will i be able to run and how much difference hp am i looking at.. any info will be great.. thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
well the biggest difference is with turbo the power is always on tap and you dont have to worry about filling a bottle. also a turbo kit will net you more power but is more expensive

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
turbo ftw! whether custom or a premade kit

talk to focussport about their tuning. i konw the 08-09s are giving everyone problems tuning..

but they have done it, check out their SEMA car.

much more power going turbo though and safer and like already said, you dont have to fill a bottle, or get tickets for it being on the car

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
Turbo hands down. power is always there. no button, no bottle, no switches. just power any time you are ready for it. [thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Turbo all the way, it's safer, it's always there. Although it is going to cost you a pretty penny more than nitrous.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much power will i see with a custom turbo kit 11 psi intercooled?..we have a dyno at my work so i think were gonna get the tuning software from SCT for it..what other mods will have to be done, besides injectors and the actual turbo kit?.. also kinda of topic but i wanted to drop the car but i dont know if 1.5" drop will be to low or should i just get the 1" drop.. thanx for the advice

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much power am i looking at with 11psi intercooled?.. also et in the 1/4?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Typically the Focus gets about 10whp per pound so you wold be looking at 100-110whp over stock at 11 psi. 1/4 mile times not sure, I am not a drag racer and the focus really doesn't drag too well in my book

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'd be satisfied with a 12 or low 13.. i just want to scare a couple of peeps... here where im from.. the racing scene is huge.. especially with trucks..so just want to have some kills with the focus. shouldnt be hard to accomplish... anyone know what they run stock?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
how much power am i looking at with 11psi intercooled?.. also et in the 1/4?
at 11psi intercooled on a 2.0, about 215whp/wtq id say, depending on turbo setup and the tune.. and probably around a 13.6-14.2 1/4 mile depending on the driver and suspension and tires

i'd be satisfied with a 12 or low 13.. i just want to scare a couple of peeps... here where im from.. the racing scene is huge.. especially with trucks..so just want to have some kills with the focus. shouldnt be hard to accomplish... anyone know what they run stock?
stock the 2009s run like a 16.2 IIRC. itd be hard to get those ET numbers (12 or low 13) without building your motor and having more boost. as well as having some slicks for better traction.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
getting 12's will take some good tires and more than 11lb.. from my personal experience, lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
next season im hoping for high 12s at 11psi on my 2.3! lol.

with slicks, motor mount, shocks, lower stress bar, poly bushings, 03-04 2.3 tranny..

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
To break into low 13's and 12's you will need to do some internal work, a stock engine won't handle that amount of boost you'd need. Also, you will have to upgrade clutch, need a LSD, some good tires and probably upgrade your suspension.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
next season im hoping for high 12s at 11psi on my 2.3! lol.

with slicks, motor mount, shocks, lower stress bar, poly bushings, 03-04 2.3 tranny..
thats cool. good luck with the quest.. i'll be shooting for 9's [headbang]

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I am running nitrous, and I am voting for turbo. Dont get me wrong, the juice is intoxicating and I love it, but I only went for juice over turbo because I didnt have the money at the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would it run the same with nitrous?.. a 14 sec. focus sounds pretty good right now.. i talked to some nitrous people and they can make me a custom plate kit for it.. anyone else interested in something like that?... i guess i'll have to start saving for the turbo kit and forged internals..

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
If you are diong nitrous, get a kit from a reputable company. Yes you would run the same time at the strip, but its illegal to run the juice in town. Mine runs mid to high 14's on a 65hp shot.

Dont get me wrong, I am 100% satisfied with mine, but I would like to be able to legally run that kind of power around the town. Plus you get the "bad-ass" factor with the turbo.

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
Likewise^
I have a NX nitrous kit. And its great having the extra powa on tap when needed.
But if your are that serious about drag racing then you will eventually want to go turbo anyway.
I will be installing a homegrown turbo kit w/ a garret 2554 in the spring/early summer.
And rejetting my n2o down to a 35 shot.
So with 8-10 psi from turbo making 215 hp/tq and a 35 shot activated at WOT from 3000-6000 rpm there will be almost no lag...i want power NOW!
And that will put me at the limits of the stock internals.

At my first 1/4 mile drag race w/o n2o, i outran a mostly stock 05 2.3 st which ran a 15.6.
Another buddy had his first 1/4 times that night too w/ his 07 sap zx3 which has a cai/f.s. stealth exhaust. He ran a 16.7
Since the 08+ weighs about the same and makes about the same power as a 07 i wouldnt see how a stock 08+ would run much faster.

If money is tight i would just get a wet n2o kit for now.
And as long as its not hooked up...or is concealed[shhh]....then most state laws allow n2o to be in car for purposes of driving it to or from a track.

I always recommend suspension mods first...get rid of that soft stock suspension first.
For ANY type of racing it just wont do.
Plus its so easy to get rid of the suv like stock ride height.
And the focus responds better to suspension mods than engine mods anyway.

As far as a 50 shot being all that a stock duratec can take IDK about that.
I have a zetec ftw.
I've been told by a reliable and VERY experienced source I could run a 75 shot w/o problems if i run some race fuel, take out timing and use one step colder plugs. That a 100 shot would be pressing my luck.
With my 50 shot, r compounds, lakewood traction bars, front suspension rebuild, and more dead weight removed i hope to break into 13's on feb 27th...opening night at local drag strip.
Just take it out and run it..and then decide how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i think im going to go with the plate system.. once i get it all set and done.. i'll post some pics to see if anyone else is interested in the kit.. should be nice..

as far as suspension goes.. im going to lower it with some eibach sportline springs 1.6" drop, focus sport strut tower brace, and thats about it.

i plan just to have a k&n cold air kit.. i would like to mess around with the exhaust but i dont like to be driving around with noise all the time... is their a quiet exhaust?.. full exhaust i mean.. from header to tip..im a big fan of magnaflow.. is that a good cat back for the focus?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i believe focussport sells a stealth exhaust and i think borla too..... quieter versions of their normal exhausts...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts