Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently did a custom turbo on a customers focus and instaled a timer as well.the problem is that when you turn the key off,the car seems to lose ignition for a split second and then power back up.the car tries to stall and then tries to fire back up.the only wayto insure it will keep running is to give it a small rev when you remove the key.i have tried hooking it up several diff. ways and it always did the same.i was just curious to know if any of you guys had ran across this and if you found a solution yet.
also the car seems to be hitting a fuel cut at 8psi.is there a simple fix for this?
sorry for all the dumb questions,this is my first ford venture.i mostly do honda and nissan.
thanks!
here is a pic of the kit:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Why is the turbo next to the headlight? And the intake running to the turbo cant be doing a whole lot either. And no I have no answer to your question but that has to be one of the most....unique turbo manifold and placement I have ever seen.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
hitting the fuel cut off...heh, what maf r you using and r you checking the voltage?

what r u doing for the fuel?..and why is the turbo setup looking like that...could you put the turbo and further away from the stock exhaust manifold. lol

·
Registered
793 Posts
glad to see some are trying there skills on a custom foci turbo!!

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
Your not realy hitting a fuel cut per say but you are MAXING out the injectors as well as the mass air the injectors can only do 0 to 100% duty cycle and the mass air will only do 0 to 5 volts +-

You will have to change injectors to some 42`s to 50`s and get a Recal mass air to match them i mostly use the 70MM Pro-M ,I cann say this any stronger than DO NOT TRY THE INJECTORS AND MASS AIR WITH OUT A CHIP from some one that has done many boosted Foci mainly us

You have deto now with only 8psi and WILL blow the engine these engines take 0 deto and will snap the rods hearing deto from the car beside it

I would park it till you have proper tuning

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car is using an additional injector driver and a j&s safegaurd.it is not only running on stock injectors.i simply asked for some help with the problems i am having.i know what i am doing and don't need anyone to tell me why what i have done won't work.i am merely wanted to know what the options were to get around the maf problem and how to get the timer problem straightened out.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
dued you asked a question and he gave you an answer, you apparently dont kow what you are doing since you obviously have no tuning, and you are here asking for help, 1turbofocus is the turbo guy and i would suggest you heed his advice,this is a focus not an integ or a honda, very different car which requires different tuning

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
An additional injector driver, interesting, why when there are much better ways to tune for fuel?

Also, the J&S while nice isn't a tuning device per se, it only detects knock when it happens. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent knock all together?

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
Im sorry to the rest but im going to turn into an A$$ HOLE NOW

QUOTE,,,.i know what i am doing and don't need anyone to tell me why what i have done won't work.

*You say you know what you are doing yet you say this

QUOTE,,,the car is using an additional injector driver and a j&s safegaurd

*Again you say you know what you are doing yet you have at best a band-aid address to tuning that will do nothing but cost your customer an engine and never make a good power ,I hope that 5th injector your running is a 150lb injector because at about 3500rpm is feeding the entire engine because the other 4 are at 100%duty cycle ,,,AND NO ONE EVEN KNEW YOU HAD A CRAPPY 5TH INJECTOR ON AND WHO TOLD YOU IT WOULD NOT WORK

Some time you have to read and listen to the information given to understand that some one is trying to help you with your question, I understand that you do hondas so i will try to tell you again because i understand how you honda guys are

QUOTE FROM ABOVE,,,Your not realy hitting a fuel cut per say but you are MAXING out the injectors as well as the mass air the injectors can only do 0 to 100% duty cycle and the mass air will only do 0 to 5 volts +-

You will have to change injectors to some 42`s to 50`s and get a Recal mass air to match them i mostly use the 70MM Pro-M ,I cann say this any stronger than DO NOT TRY THE INJECTORS AND MASS AIR WITH OUT A CHIP from some one that has done many boosted Foci mainly us

There is ALL the information you need to properly tune the boosted Focus there is also a 795.00 SCT self tuner that along with LARGER injectors 4 of them and a recalibrated mass air from Pro-M will do the job as well or i have what is called the MIC (Mass air Injectors Chip) that is 850.00 that will also do the job

Sometime its good to NOT act like the knowitall if you DONT knowitall your question was answered so loose the honda mentality

Im here if i can help further

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first of all, the guy was on a budget and i know the additional injector driver and j&s are a bandaid setup but that is all i had to work with and it has been working for quite some time now with no problems.and by the way,the j&s safegaurd cuts timing under boost as well as when it detects knock.as far as the additional injectors go,there are two 440cc injectors.they come on at about 2500rpm and there is an adjusment for every 1000rpm and there is also an adjustment for how much fuel to be added for each pound of boost.so it is tunable,however crude it may be.

"AND NO ONE EVEN KNEW YOU HAD A CRAPPY 5TH INJECTOR ON AND WHO TOLD YOU IT WOULD NOT WORK"
i was just aswering the question about what kind of fuel setup it had and responding to the criticsm i recieved.i am sorry if it came over wrong.i wasn't posting to have people tell me i am doing it all wrong.i was just asking if there was a simple way to eliminate fuel cut(i call it that because the fuel injectors are shutting off when it hits a certain voltage) such as an hks fcd or something of the like and if anyone had ran across the timer problem.a device such as the fcd would perhaps tell the ecu that the maf voltage was lower,preventing the fuel cut and lowering the duty cycle of the stock injectors(you would add fuel with the addional injectors).
i still have not had anyone answer my questions.someone has had to have done a timer by now.
and what is the "honda mentality".i realize they are two totally different animals and each have different was of making things work.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
Your injectors are at 100% that MAX the mas air can only read 0 to 5 volts so your at MAX there as well ,There just is nothing that can be done about it other than going to larger injectors 42`S will support about 210HP on the Focus and 50`s will do about 280 safely unless you have controle over the returnless fuel pump functions

As for the timer i dont use them nor do i get my turbo customers to use them the 360 deg. bearings that we now have as well as the new things the bearings are being made out of unless it is one of the old school cheaper t3/t4 style as well as if the customer cant remember to give it 10 sec before he cuts it off he dont need a turbo, I allways thought they were a waste of time and money and the money would of been better spent on a good tuning solution

If i can help just let me know

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now, I'm no expert, but it seems the brits have been successfully using a fifth injector on a lot of YS, CVH, ZVH, Zetec turbo setups to help with fuel.. at least until they go for a bigger fuel management setup, such as cosworth..

Also, I don't think a turbo timer is a total waste of time, it may not be the biggest priority when building a turbo, but I for one will want to add a turbo timer to my car, once I have my setup complete.

Also, I think this whole "Honda mentality" thing was kinda uncalled for, this guy entered the forum with a simple question, and didn't get very accurate answers (I'm not saying the answers he got weren't helpful, just that they weren't specific to the problem he wanted to solve, sorry if this sounds bad, english is not my first language).

I think almost everyone needs to relax a little more, and not post stuff like "Haha, you're turbo is in a stupid place", or whatever, this is a guy who's devoting his time to tuning a focus, and deserves our support and respect, just like the rest of us.

My $0.02

·
Registered
388 Posts
to get rid of the fuel cut try http://www.splitsec.com , i used them on my DSM.

as for the TT, double check the wiring. what TT are you using? make sure you didn't splice into the wiring, you have to run them inline.

the manifold setup is actually pretty popular on some cars....specially if running a large turbo. more lag, but that can help with traction issues on street tires.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
splitsec has nothing for the Focus and the ONLY way to do it correctly and safely is to do injectors and mass air

5th injectors at best are a band-aid fix they wont stop the mass air from hitting 5 volts or make up for 4 19lb injectors unless your going to run a 90+LB 5th injector

Do it right the first time and you wont have to do it right the second time

Tom

·
Registered
388 Posts
1turbofocus said:
splitsec has nothing for the Focus and the ONLY way to do it correctly and safely is to do injectors and mass air

5th injectors at best are a band-aid fix they wont stop the mass air from hitting 5 volts or make up for 4 19lb injectors unless your going to run a 90+LB 5th injector

Do it right the first time and you wont have to do it right the second time

Tom
they can custom build it for the focus no problem. if all he is trying to do is get rid of fuel cut this will work fine. I have ran it on my DSM for many years as have many others.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
Ok lets say they stop the 5 volt cut what happens then ,Make up some maps to keep it going ? what about the injectors they will be at 100% duty cycle by this time ,So change the injectors but band-aid the mass air voltage ?

Why not just do it correctly ,,Mass air ,Injsctors,Chip or some form of proper tuning

The PCM`s in the Focus and the DSM are worlds apart

Tom

·
Registered
388 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Ok lets say they stop the 5 volt cut what happens then ,Make up some maps to keep it going ? what about the injectors they will be at 100% duty cycle by this time ,So change the injectors but band-aid the mass air voltage ?

Why not just do it correctly ,,Mass air ,Injsctors,Chip or some form of proper tuning

The PCM`s in the Focus and the DSM are worlds apart

Tom
Tom,

so the PCM controls more on this car than most other cars? hope it's not as bad as VW or AUDI.....

can't he use a volt clamp and a FPR to keep it from hitting 100% duty cycle (preferbly 90%)?

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
We dont have a FPR tho the Focus is a returnless system and again why jack the fuel PSI through the roof when all you have to do is change the MIC

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts