Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing on turbo-chargeN my ZX3 this summer- i plan on building the whole system so that i can pick different brands for different parts-

I am wondering which turbo - exhaust manifold i should get and where is a good place to get it from?

Its gotta go with either a T3 or T3/T4 - prolly the turbonetics or HKS!!![thumb]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
the focus power kit is good stuff, turbonetics if im not mistaken

·
Registered
793 Posts
i know the pectel technologies sstem uses the stock manifold, or shorty headers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm actually looking to custom the whole kit myself with random brands' parts- like this was the plan if you can bare with me---

ts/t4 turbo (HKS, Turbonetics? whatever
Try to get a front mount intercooler- prolly only a 3 core (HKS or Greddy)
SSBOV (hks of course)
Intercooler piping i may have to customize - not sure yet need to see how it will all be mapped out- thats why i ask for a good turbo exhaust manifold- that is the start of it all so it has to be decent- i dont like the whole kit idea- i mean yes its quick and easy but the money is a lot more and i will actually feel like its somewhat my turbo idea- anyways i checked out the turbo kit they offer and its about 5300- and from what i have priced so far i can do a lot more with that amount of money- so i think i will stick with mapping my own out- but thanks for the info.[thumb]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
By the time you rip your car apart trying to build a kit, just remember that someone else has already gone thru the hassle. If your car is a daily driver and cannot be down for long maybe building a kit isn't a good idea for you.

For example, if you try to istall an intercooler you will have to remove the fron of the car to do it, the bumpers etc. As far as all the piping etc, that is another thing to deal with.

That is why there aren't any companies making just headers, its very difficult to just fab up a kit based off a manifold.

Throw in tuning on top of it all, you will end up with more aggravation and at least as much money as if you simply bought a kit.

·
FF Affiliate
30,878 Posts
First a t3/t4 is WAY oversized for a Focus turbo and is old school at best you will need something much smaller

If you sit down and go over every part needed and to the quality i use you will find at best 1000.00 in savings and you will eat that up in parts you throw away that didnt work

I have strong respect for those wanting to turbo there Focus there way

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would use the gT28RS model the aka disco potato turbo this turbo here will spool quick and has great characteriscs its based on t25 std flange. I would pair that up with a tial wg and your choice of bov with a garret intercooler.

I think complete custom kit like that shoulndt be mroe than 2500 us dollars

·
FF Affiliate
30,878 Posts
2500.00 You guys crack me up you include an OLD SCHOOL that wont reach 300HP a tial WG

Yea with cheaper parts a creaper turbo kit can be had ,But i wont build a cheap turbo kit ,,Tuning alone will cost you near 1000,00 are you saying you can buy or build everything else for 1500,00

I dont think so

Tom

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
little offtopic...
tom...when you say tuning what exactly mean?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the time to do it- it isnt going to be done now- i have 2 months before i can do it- i will have one month to build it up without needing to use the car- so time isnt the issue - the real issue is finding good parts and at a somewhat good price- i just looked at ordering the turbo- which will now be the Turbonetics T3- with all the accy from turbonetics it should run me about 1500 for the turbo itself- now i will need an intercooler- the piping- a BOV, turbo exhaust manifold,downpipe, and a few other small things- so does anyone know if that turbo (by any small chance) will fit any of the shorty headers? if so which one so i can just buy that by this weekend along with the turbo- and theSSBOV- thanks for the help- and TOM i am still not buying your turbo- SRY i wanna do this myself-- unless of course you want to just sell me your manifold- i didnt think so- not without the kit right?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
TickfordZX3 said:
I've got the time to do it- it isnt going to be done now- i have 2 months before i can do it- i will have one month to build it up without needing to use the car- so time isnt the issue - the real issue is finding good parts and at a somewhat good price- i just looked at ordering the turbo- which will now be the Turbonetics T3- with all the accy from turbonetics it should run me about 1500 for the turbo itself- now i will need an intercooler- the piping- a BOV, turbo exhaust manifold,downpipe, and a few other small things- so does anyone know if that turbo (by any small chance) will fit any of the shorty headers? if so which one so i can just buy that by this weekend along with the turbo- and theSSBOV- thanks for the help- and TOM i am still not buying your turbo- SRY i wanna do this myself-- unless of course you want to just sell me your manifold- i didnt think so- not without the kit right?
Good luck doing your own, though I will warn you there have been many many failures in the past.

C'mon tom, sell your kit for $ 2500, thats reasonable right? LOL

Wow, some folks have no clue what goes into making this stuff.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
they all learn in the end of it. when its a car thats priced at 14k and a good turbo will run u 6k people have problems spending close to half the amount of money they spent on the car, for a turbo. thats why a lot of these kits like the bell kit, the foresaken good, and aerocharger leave out parts or find alternatives to an every day turbo to keep the kit priced under 4k. thats my little theory anyway i could be way wrong...

the closest id go to a custom turbo on my car would be toms starter kit

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for one- i paid no where near 14k for my car- thanks but no thanks for the "help" you have given me- all you guys do is tell me how i should buy tom's kit- yeah yeah go to focuspower.com - he's the best- well i never asked for that- i asked for a decent manifold- if i wanted to buy a kit- i'd ask Greddy or HKS for one- but i want to mix different parts from different companies that have better ratings then others- all i asked from this place was for a decent manifold since they are hard to come by individually, but i guess no one has a clue as to what there even is out besides TOM's starter kit- AND FOCALTECH- i know what goes into building a turbo- i have been around looking for parts for about 3 months learning from different shops and from different companies about each part of the turbo and about each brand- i know how much time it will probably take and i knwo what parts go into it- i have the list of what i want- price is not really a concern so much as QUALITY- i aint looking for all out 500HP or 10 sec 1/4 mile- i am looking for something decent and i am looking for the experience- so thanks again FOR NOTHING!

·
FF Affiliate
30,878 Posts
QUOTE,,but i guess no one has a clue as to what there even is out besides TOM's starter kit

*Well i do think they know what it out there and that is why they were trying to point you in the direction of a good kit and save you some time and trouble

There is the gude kit , Precision kit , and my kit ,Mine being the onlt one that addresses any type of timing let alone one that realy works

If you are doing it for the experience i understant that and respect it 100% but if it is quality that you want than you cannot buy better parts than what are in my kit

I wish you the best and hope it all works out for you and if i can help let me know but i think the "so thanks again FOR NOTHING" was a little snotty

Tom

·
Registered
793 Posts
hey tom, im just adding on, doesnt pectel make a kit too??? hey also tom, im gonna get a hold of you soon, i need some info! ill email you!

·
Registered
388 Posts
i used to run a T3/T4E, good for 600hp.

it will be overkill unless you are running big boost and then you'll still have lag. i would recommend a 16g, great for a daily driver. good luck...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts