Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I thought I would start my build now that its progressing. I went to the strip and ran a disappointing 15.4 @ 89mph. I also broke all 3 motor mounts. How I have no idea since it was basically stock. The car has a aem cai, 2.5" orp and flex with a 2.25" roush cat back and a run of the mill diablo tune.

I decided it wasn't fast enough so I tore the motor out the very next day and started disassembling it.

So far I have alot of my parts but not everything. This build consists of the following.
The snail:

A Garrett T3/T04E .57 trim .60 A/R on the cold side with a .63 hotside. I attempted to polish the cold side myself.

The engine will be composed of Cosworth rods with JE pistons. I had custom bushings made to fit the JE wrist pins.

custom bushings, they are offset because the cosworth rods measured .050 shorter than the eagle rods and this made up the difference.

The stock crank will be polished and reused, That's a given. The block was at around 103K and still has hatch marks on the cylinder walls.

It has arp main studs right now but I still need the windage tray machined which will come soon. The block still needs machined to accomodate the pistons. For this I made my own torque plate out of 1" steel.

I will also be installing arp head studs when it gets closer to being completed.

I have a precision 350 hp intercooler.
The BOV is a turbonetics raptor and the wastegate is a turbonetics evolution.
I picked up a mafia and am in the process of buying a J&S.
I will be installing a new OEM head gasket with a new water and oil pump.
I have a Innovate LC-1 wideband.
I also have a predator for a tuner

Things I still need:
arp head studs
water and oil pumps
3" maf tube
injectors
manifold (gonna make my own as soon as I figure out what I want)
charge piping
head gasket
timing belt
plugs
serpentine belt
boost gauge
J&S gauge

Can anyone think of anything I am missing? I will get more pics as I get more time.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Branden, your gonna dig the power. It's very addictive.
Add ARP cam gear bolts. And use their assembly lube on all their parts. I also went with ARP flywheel bolts. Loctite the threads, and use the lube under the head of the bolts.
You won't believe the difference , if you would of told me 5 or 6 years ago that a little 4 cyl could run like this. I would of told you , your crazy. No way . But I am having more fun with this car , than all the muscle cars that I have ever owned. Good luck.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finished up the torque plate. things are slow right now since im working a shut down seven days a week 12-14 hours a day.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would go to an sct for tuning. You can't do analog inputs with the predator, which sucks. Plus your tune will be so much better.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
So are u going to make a one peice aluminium intake manifold?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want a sct if only for the 2 step.a one piece manifold is a possibility. depends on how much my grandpa wants to help. he is my machinist. he made those bushings. if i can figure out good dimensions cough jim or john cough and can get grandpa to make some velocity stacks its a possibility. the know how and tools are there. grandpa is a retired machinist from ford with both a mill and a lathe in his garage
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got my head studs and ordered new rings. rods are fitted to the Pistons and the block is at the machine shop being bored. having the mains align honed and being magnafluxed. along with having the crank polished and the oil galleys cleaned. only need bearings after that to assemble he bottom end.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Block needed the deck resurfaced. New rings will be delivered tomorrow, just ordered a new oem head gasket, new ford racing oil pump, massive msx90 plug wires, massive header bolts, and massive cam cap bolts. will be picking up the block and crank this weekend. And from there its time to put the bottom end together. also picked up massive dog bone inserts since i tore the prothane ones. I received my J&S (thanks Bmyles) I still need a new water pump and a timing belt. Thinking about going with the gates racing, any input on this? I wanna go with the gold coast guided pulley. Any ideas on a tensioner pulley?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Just go with a standard timing belt if you havnt bought one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't gotten a belt yet. and i bought the j&s before i read that and plus i have a predator. and if i remember right it only works with the xcal right? and my car is svt swapped. another reason i got it was peace of mind
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
svt. everything is svt. i swapped all the wiring under the hood and dash. so everything is svt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well heres my next update, i got the block back from machining. Got the ring end gaps all set, just ordered clevite h series rod and main bearings. Now once I figure out what way the cosworth rods go I can start to assemble the bottom end, hopefully next week

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok got all my arp hardware installed. the j&s is wired up. Pistons are on the rods. still need rings put on. once my bearings get here i'll start the assembly. may not be turbo until next year though.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
newest update. The pistons and rods are in the bottom end now. Waiting on the windage tray to be machined and to buy a gasket for that. really thinking about going with a set of cat cams and selling the turbo for a big one.

im undecided on what to do for a turbo mani all i know is im making one. Ideas anyone?
still need injectors and charge piping and im looking at doing a return style set up. will get pics of my assembled bottom end later, right now been toying with my sons pw80

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Time to bring back this thread, plans have changed. Got rid of the .57 trim and bought a gtx3076 with a tial .63 hotside, went with a full stainless 3" exhaust, cat cams turbo grind 2291017, siemen deka 80# injectors, cfm 3" maf tube, return fuel setup with a walbro 400 lph pump. Will be deleting the vct but have the cams made for it if I ever decide I want it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts