Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
fokuzx3 said:
that car looks like a really good deal..but to ME it would be more fun to build a car from stock like

02+ zx3 w/ no more than 50k= 8000+

procharger kit 10 psi- 100+ hp gain= 3300

eibach pro kit w/ sport lines= 430

full tranny build up= 1500

thats about 13,500..thats what i woulda done if i coulda done it all over again
You can add about 1500.00 to that 13.500 in stuff that you didnt have on your list , Injectors , MAF , tuning ETC

Tom

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
1turbofocus said:
And your basing this on?

So your saying that the PW kit IF it made serious HP would be more relaible than a turbo kit making serious HP how is that?

Tom
Well there is less stuff to break, superchargers are made to work with a stock engine so there is no need to really upgrade the internals or tranny if you don't want to, and you can run less boost so there would be less pressure on the block but I see that if you get a turbo and run a low amount of boost it can be just as reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Low boost? No way. If i'm going to drop 5k + into a car, I expect to feel the power. Although I DO want it to be reliable. Now I just have to find a car/tuner.[?|]

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
Iggmasta said:
Well there is less stuff to break, superchargers are made to work with a stock engine so there is no need to really upgrade the internals or tranny if you don't want to, and you can run less boost so there would be less pressure on the block but I see that if you get a turbo and run a low amount of boost it can be just as reliable.
There is no more moving parts on a turbo kit than on the PW to break

My turbo kit is made to run on a stock engine and trans as well

What you didnt mention is my kit comes with a warranty the NO ONE has come close to EVER , no SC , no other turbo kit come close that has to fit into the reliable part some where

Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts
my friend bought his 03 svt for $10,000 and it only has 21,000 miles. also the best deal i have seen was at columbia, IL riverveiw ford, they had a brand new 03 svt for 15,000 i didnt get it because i was there to pickup my 04 zx3 sticker $20,800. it is hard to get over the fact that i could have got svt for less.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Trick JM said:
Exactly how much $$$$?[8D]

and is high-ER mileage (50k-70k) going to affect boost performance?
Regaurdless of SC or turbo engine wear will effect performance, even being NA with alot of miles effects performance. Its not uncommon for turbos on cars to last over 200,000 miles. There are semi's on the road with over 1,000,000 miles on their turbos.

My setup cost considerablely more than most standard kits, but I put ALOT of high $$$ electronics in it, reworked the tranny, redid most of my original kit to incorperate alot of Tom's kit into it...... my kit originally had NO parts from Tom, now it about 80% Toms..... his kits are GREAT quality[thumb]

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just my 02 SVT for 9,000 with 50,000 miles on it. And it comes with a gettrag tranny (ha ha) that is pretty fun to say. You should def. go with the svt. Way more appeal

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
1turbofocus said:
There is no more moving parts on a turbo kit than on the PW to break

My turbo kit is made to run on a stock engine and trans as well

What you didnt mention is my kit comes with a warranty the NO ONE has come close to EVER , no SC , no other turbo kit come close that has to fit into the reliable part some where

Tom
O damn i didn't know yours had a warranty. Nm get Toms kit dude [:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Focus-Power - DIY Turbo Kit Info I make my own Turbo kits , I can also Tune them for you
View attachment 305958

Tom
Tom, I've been wanting to boost my '03 ZX5 Zetec for awhile, and I've been looking at both your kit and the FSWerks kit. I'm curious as to what all comes in your kit, as the picture on your website isn't all that clear.

I'm also trying to figure out if I absolutely need to go for forged pistons and rods, or if I can get away with hypereutectic cast for a relatively low-boost (no more than maybe 14psi) engine.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tom, I've been wanting to boost my '03 ZX5 Zetec for awhile, and I've been looking at both your kit and the FSWerks kit. I'm curious as to what all comes in your kit, as the picture on your website isn't all that clear.

I'm also trying to figure out if I absolutely need to go for forged pistons and rods, or if I can get away with hypereutectic cast for a relatively low-boost (no more than maybe 14psi) engine.

Click on the link in his response. It appears the Zetec DIY link on his website is not working. But the link in his response above lists in detail what you get, what you need, and the options available for his DIY kit.

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts

This DIY Kit fits the 2000-2004 Zetec and 2002-2004 SVT Focus

What You Get:

• SPA Manifold
  • 2.5 Down pipe with V-Band clamp for ease of install
  • Waste gate down pipe going back into the 2.5 down pipe slip style
  • Piping from Turbo to Intercooler
  • Intercooler that is 8 x 31 x 3.5 this sucker flows like crazy and cools very well
  • Piping from Intercooler to TB
  • Piping from Turbo to Filter in the inner fender well
  • Bracket for intake piping
Price: (ZX3 or SVT)
$1495.00

Options Will Be:

• Comp Turbo with v-band installed ($825.00 When bought with DIY Kit ) This is a very good spooling turbo yet will make 350HP at the wheels with a built engine
  • Adaptor from 3 bolt SPA type waste gate to 2 bolt turbonetics EVO ($45.00)
  • Oil pan with bung welded in ($95.00), if you exchange oil pans ($35.00)
  • 3 Inch MAF Tube ($78.00)
==========================================
What You Need To Get:

• Turbo
  • 3 Inch MAF Tube
  • BOV
  • Waste Gate
  • Hoses (2) 2 inch , (1) 2 to 2.5 , (2) 2.5 , (2) 2.5 to 3 inch (1) 3 inch
  • Clamps 16
  • Bolts,washers,nuts
  • Oil feed line -4
  • Oil return line
  • Vac lines
  • Filter
  • Diablo Mafia
  • 60lb Injectors
All of these parts can be purchased from eBay or any Turbo stores. Shop around to find the best deals.
==========================================

Remote Tuning:

• ZX3 $565.00 YOU MUST have a A/F Gauge
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where's a good place to get a set of forged pistons and rods? I've been looking through Summit, but their catalogue isn't the best for the Zetec.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never bought from real street myself, so cant say what the service is like.

Massive carries a lot of stuff for the focus. I've always had good service from them myself, fast shipping too.

I bought JE pistons when I had my engine built. Quick search and this popped up for a combo set with eagle rods:
Looked like they also have all the accompanying studs and bearings there as well.

Are you building it or are you having someone do it? Im sure your engine builder would know where to get all of it as well...
Anyway, you got options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm gonna be building the engine myself. I haven't gotten the block machined yet, so I don't know exactly what to go with yet, but I appreciate the links.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts