Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off Im new the forums, and this seems like a nice community. Good group of guys you got here.

Anyways... I'm torn.. on both ends. I dont know if I should get a ZX3 or an SVT, and whichever one of those i get, SC or Turbo. Basically I'm looking for some input... i dont have TONS of money to spend. I want to have a quick, reliable daily driver. A sleeper if you will.

Whats the easiest way to achieve that? ZX3 or SVT? I dont really need all the jazz that comes with an SVT, and I'd like to get a ZX3(Cheaper). Are the ZX3' internals capable of holding a good amount of boost? For turbo i was thinking Tom's kit and only that. How much would whp/wtq would i be able to squeeze out of it with Toms kit/Tune?

Any help would be appreciated.[?|] [thumb]

J

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well the svt internals are much better they are forged. were as the zx3 arnt but the zx3 with a good tune can hold up to 250 hp with out doing any internal work max psi safe to run would be around 12 or lower on a zx3 you will have to run 93 octane. 03 svt is running 19 psi on a stick svt so you can c the diff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh, Thank You for the info.

Another thing, how much are SVT's going for these days? If i cant find one for under 11k, i'd rather just get an ZX3 and turbo, for the ultimate sleeper.

What would you guys do?[???:)]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
um a svt is going to be about 15 plus

you could buy a nice zx3 for 6-8 then turbo it, lsd,clutch and flywheel for about 7500 so you got maybe 13-15 k in it when you are done

·
Registered
117 Posts
dude, it is possible to snag an SVT for about 11K, or under...maybe an 02 with decent miles.
If your lucky, u could even scoop up an 03.
SVT's give you a lot of value for your money...better engine components, stiffer/lower suspension, not to mention the slick 6 speed getrag tranny...lol, thats just fun to say...getrag tranny.
Overall, the SVT gives you better all around performance right out the box, plus even more potential once you start adding mods. I'm fairly new to the focus world myself, but parts for the regular zx3's are about the same as for the SVT's. I'm not sayin that SVT is the only way to go, but if you're looking for a sleeper, the SVT is not a bad place to start. My 2 cents...

good luck on your decision

·
FF Affiliate
30,772 Posts
Hmmm, I have my Turbocharged SVT for sale with many many other parts and boltons done to it at about 12,000.00$$$$ in boltons alone and asking 19,800.00 for it

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe me, If i had anywhere near 19k to spend, I'd get your SVT tom.

I think im going to go with the SVT. Wheres a good place to look? I've checked the forums here but nothing really in my price range that isnt already sold OR in my area.

OH and the second argument, SC or Turbo? I've been leaning towards turbo but any of you SVT SC guys have anything to say to sway the arguement?

How hard would be it be to piece together a custom kit? Anybody have any tips? Or would it just be safer to go with the focus-power kit?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Trick JM said:
I think im going to go with the SVT. Wheres a good place to look? I've checked the forums here but nothing really in my price range that isnt already sold OR in my area.

you could give autotrader.com, or even Ebay a shot.

I was able to get financing through a bank who actually recommended that I go through Ebay...so I did, and got a killer deal from a private seller. It was out of state but the bank also financed the shipping costs. I made most of the arrangements online and the car was delivered to my door. If you truly want an SVT, they are numerous in the midwest area.
Seek and you shall find. [8D]

once again, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. [thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
30,772 Posts
Here is another way to look at it

SVT if you find one for 11,000.00 then buy my kit saying that is the way you go 5800.00 that puts you at 16.800.00 for 3,000.00 more you get

Quaife
Clutch
Fly
Gauges
Boost controler
Nitrous kit
wing
hood
head lights
tail lights
extra SVT wheels
and thats anly about half the list of boltons

Only reason im selling it to move on to the 05 wagon , Going to VIR with the SVT this weekend to play

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One last question, How does mileage affect being able to boost.

I.E. Would an engine with 65000 miles be able to hold boost just as well as one with 20k or less?[8]

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
If you want a daily driver then I would get an SVT and supercharge it. If you get the Powerworks it you will be pumping out serious horsepower and it will be more reliable than a turbo. But thats just my opinion.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
that car looks like a really good deal..but to ME it would be more fun to build a car from stock like

02+ zx3 w/ no more than 50k= 8000+

procharger kit 10 psi- 100+ hp gain= 3300

eibach pro kit w/ sport lines= 430

full tranny build up= 1500

thats about 13,500..thats what i woulda done if i coulda done it all over again

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
SVT + $$$$$$ + turbo = 330whp[thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
30,772 Posts
Iggmasta said:
If you get the Powerworks it you will be pumping out serious horsepower and it will be more reliable than a turbo. But thats just my opinion.
And your basing this on?

So your saying that the PW kit IF it made serious HP would be more relaible than a turbo kit making serious HP how is that?

Tom

1 - 20 of 46 Posts