Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy the FSWERKS kit due to ease of install and saving myself the headache of piecing it all together and finding out crap doesn’t fit right, on FSWEKRS website it says their kit doesn’t fit on auto trans cars is it a clearance issue that can be worked around? Or is it because our gen auto trans can’t even hold the power they make from factory so they’re saying it won’t fit for insurance/ liability type thing?

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
Its because they cannot Tune the ATX , it does fit the ATX and I know how to Tune the ATX with boost , they will sell you the kit less Tune

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha, thanks Tom, I’ve heard you’re a god around these parts will be going to you for tunes once it’s all setup, going built with stage 2s, FSWERKS kit & probably spray a little methanol for the IATs and anti detonation also will be going 2.3 head, any tips you might have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How in depth and how much is needed for that? The way I had it priced out it didn’t seem too bad to do 2.0 w 2.3 head using junkyard parts and going to my local machine shop and having them take care of the head. Is it worth it to do a 2.5 swap? That much of a diff in power? Sell me on it before I go ahead and build this 2.0 lol

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
You can buy a low mile 2.5 for 250-450.00 , then you have to change to a 2.3 timing cover , use your 2.0 balancer , Adapter for the TB , VCT eliminator and adj cam gears

The adj cam gears you would be doing on the 2.3 so that wouldnt be an added expense

Hands down would be the way I would go

Then you can Turbo it from there , Or just leave it all 2.0 and just max out the stock Engine , even with a 2.3 head your still limited to the same HP limit about 250-260

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry if I'm thread highjacking, just had a quick question.

A manual transmission is more desirable imo, is it possible to make the ATX strong and durable enough to handle the additional hp and torque?

I'm new to the newer gen Fords, got my 2010 SE as a DD. My other car isn't a Ford, (look at my Avatar pic for a hint) and I turbo'd that one that started as an ATX and I converted it to mtx. But I had a donor car to do it with.

You told Tom to convince you about the 2.5 swap..... Convince me about retaining the ATX vs a complete MTX drivetrain conversion.

Thanks in advance for not bashing me for highjacking you post.

Ttyl

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
The stock ATX will hold low boost and seems to do well , if your wanting to make big power in the 280-300 whp range then doing a built ATX is very costly and if you have the ability do the 5 speed swap

The ATX that Lentech built for me help over 700whp but again was very costly , Trans , converter , LSD , trans brake etc 6000.00

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
The stock ATX will hold low boost and seems to do well , if your wanting to make big power in the 280-300 whp range then doing a built ATX is very costly and if you have the ability do the 5 speed swap

The ATX that Lentech built for me help over 700whp but again was very costly , Trans , converter , LSD , trans brake etc 6000.00

Tom

Tom
That's what I figured, very costly. Two big advantages to ATX is consistent shifting and smoother transition from gear to gear.

With MTX you have to get very good at shifting quickly while boosting or you'll lose the momentum of the acceleration and be constantly dropping out of boost. That's hard on mounts, strut towers and clutches.

I do see the advantages, but unfortunately for my other car Dodge fwd ATX transmissions suck ass. So the MTX is truly the only option if turboing one of their cars.

Ok, I'm convinced about the ATX option. I didn't think that the Ford ATX was adequate for use in boosted cars.

Well thx for the explanation. I'll turn this post back over to the original poster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts