Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stock 2.0 dtech. it has a plastic intake manifold and was wondering if i put a turbo in it, will it blow my intake manifold? are there any mods i need to do in prep for a turbo?

·
Registered
156 Posts

Seriously though the way you phrase the question it seems like you have not even tried looking through the wealth of information on this site. Injectors, tune, wideband, different temp range plugs, intercooler & pipes, oil feed and drain lines, water lines if its a ball bearing turbo. Its not as simple as just throwing it on and you're done unless you buy a full off the shelf kit complete with tune, which is still going to require a decent amount of labor. If you are planing on high boost and high power levels also include pistons, rods, and other internal work so you dont fry your engine. As far as the intake thing, I ran 20 - 25 psi through a stock plastic zetec intake manifold and its still in one piece.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Seriously though the way you phrase the question it seems like you have not even tried looking through the wealth of information on this site. Injectors, tune, wideband, different temp range plugs, intercooler & pipes, oil feed and drain lines, water lines if its a ball bearing turbo. Its not as simple as just throwing it on and you're done unless you buy a full off the shelf kit complete with tune, which is still going to require a decent amount of labor. If you are planing on high boost and high power levels also include pistons, rods, and other internal work so you dont fry your engine. As far as the intake thing, I ran 20 - 25 psi through a stock plastic zetec intake manifold and its still in one piece.
lol the jpeg is so awesome[thumb]

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would be interested in getting a smaller turbo put on my stock Focus sedan. I plan on adding a performance header, exhaust, and intake, so putting a smaller turbo with that would be pretty sweet. But I would like to know how much additional money I would have to dump into the car in order to make the turbo work (without getting crazy with all the little odds and ends). But I don't want to kill my car, so I've got to do it right. But I'm only looking to spend like 1.5K max on everything, so... I don't know how realistic my goals are.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not very realistic at all, even a DIY turbo kit is going to cost more than $1500. The FSWerks complete stage 2 kit is probably the best turbo kit for the Duratec foci, with the top speed kit coming in a close second. FSWerks also recently released a kit for the old Zetec.

The stock duratec motor is good for up to around 250hp, and the manual tranny I have heard can handle up to 450hp with an upgraded clutch and flywheel. If you have an ATX you will be limited to 220hp unless you upgrade to a lentech, which cost thousands by itself.

I agree with bennyfocus, you guys really should do a search, as there is a wealth of info on this subject.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not very realistic at all, even a DIY turbo kit is going to cost more than $1500. The FSWerks complete stage 2 kit is probably the best turbo kit for the Duratec foci, with the top speed kit coming in a close second. FSWerks also recently released a kit for the old Zetec.

The stock duratec motor is good for up to around 250hp, and the manual tranny I have heard can handle up to 450hp with an upgraded clutch and flywheel. If you have an ATX you will be limited to 220hp unless you upgrade to a lentech, which cost thousands by itself.

I agree with bennyfocus, you guys really should do a search, as there is a wealth of info on this subject.
ya as do I. everything that megax36 is correct the only thing you would need to change is the drive axles i believe they are good for lower end of 200hp depending what all's been done, might be a little off been a while since i read that. you can come close to $1500 if you know the right ppl and have the tools. but like all great things, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Id hope anyway with all the force being pushed through to the pistons that the pressure would never be great enough on the plastic manifold to cause it to break anyway, just my thoughts though

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
lol the jpeg is so awesome[thumb]
it's a gif. [facepalm][rofl]

ya as do I. everything that megax36 is correct the only thing you would need to change is the drive axles i believe they are good for lower end of 200hp depending what all's been done, might be a little off been a while since i read that. you can come close to $1500 if you know the right ppl and have the tools. but like all great things, you get what you pay for.
the axles are good actually... go do some more research this isnt a honda.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
5000 get's you started on a focussport turbo stage 2!

I would be interested in getting a smaller turbo put on my stock Focus sedan. I plan on adding a performance header, exhaust, and intake, so putting a smaller turbo with that would be pretty sweet. But I would like to know how much additional money I would have to dump into the car in order to make the turbo work (without getting crazy with all the little odds and ends). But I don't want to kill my car, so I've got to do it right. But I'm only looking to spend like 1.5K max on everything, so... I don't know how realistic my goals are.
That 1500 will get you a header/2.5 exhaust/intake & a tune![wrenchin]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Haha I forgot I posted in here. I saw my gif and made myself lol a little bit. So glad I finally had a chance to use it.

Again all joking aside if you set a budget you might as well triple it. There are always extra costs and things dont fit stuff breaks shit happens. This is not to sound rude but if you have little to no experience buy a complete kit with tune spend the extra money now or you may not have a DD after you ruin it trying to learn about turbos the hard way. My first turbo focus had all ebay parts 42lb injectors a 15psi spring no tune and was a ton of fun for roughly 15minutes. Before that I had 2 minutes of fun with a 125hp shot of nitrous (see profile pic). I knew what I was doing was wrong, I learned alot from my mistakes, I have spent 5 times over what I paid for the car, and I always had a backup vehicle. If you are willing to possibly make some of the same mistakes I did just to save 2 or 3 grand more power to you, I dont recommend it though. ;)

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
i have a stock 2.0 dtech. it has a plastic intake manifold and was wondering if i put a turbo in it, will it blow my intake manifold? are there any mods i need to do in prep for a turbo?
NO! There are many people running the stock plastic intake manifold with boost and having no issues , I would say your safe with boost to about 26-30psi on the stock plastic intake

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts