Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
your killing my fun
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add forced induction to my focus zetec automatic and was wondering which would be better to do and still have daily driver qualities i plan on taking car to track on occassion but take car to shows and looking for more go to go with the show right now i can keep withyour normal rice burners but i wanna kill them and make them think twice about laughing at a domestic tuner if supercharge it i have heard many good things about the procharger setup and the turbo setup will get built by a local performance shop if i decide among that route

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Turbo, hands down. Don't listen to the people who talk about turbo lag, that was actually an issue back in the 70's and 80's. Today turbos have quick spin-up times that practically eliminate any noticeable lag. Plus a turbo will give you the same amount, if not more torque as horsepower. Remember that its torque that gets you going, that pushes you back in the seat...horsepower just keeps you there. A supercharger on an I-4 is weak in this respect, it always gives you more HP than TQ. And given some of the proven turbo setups' prices, they're just as affordable (if not cheaper than) a supercharger.

·
your killing my fun
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy at the local shop built a dodge spirit that runs 30lbs of boost and runs 11s on dot tires he will probably be the one who builds my setup for me

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, it really is a matter of opinion. Turbos do make more power, hands down. But if you want something reliable, and faster boost ( I know todays turbos are quick spinning) times then go with a roots style supercharger. A JRSC makes good power and is VERY reliable. Powerworks is better but a lot pricier. Although if someone is building a custom kit, then go with turbo. A custom sc is very difficult. Whatever you do go with make it safe. Big injectors and a safe (on the rich side) tune, THen for track duty have a leaner tune for more power. Turbos sound sweet, but if you want a sleeper go for the SC. ITs really up to you, what kinda power, sound, and streetability you want. If you want 200 or more at the wheels go turbo, if your lookin for 180 or under go SC. If you are inbetween, well then go with whats cheapest. If you only want straight line performance, go with N2O it is much cheaper and only hurts the motor during track days.
THats just my opinion, and what knowledge I have off the subject

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Moving to forced induction section. Read around in there and you willsee this discussed quite a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts