Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna no what u guys think i should doto my car. i wanna no if i should turbo it or if i should supercharge it..

thanks matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well..........................

I'd start my search over in the forced induction area of the forums. Use the search feature and you will dig up a wealth of information. If you have cash and lots of it then work towards a turbo. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, so you can't just ask if you want a turbo or a supercharger. Here's why. A turbo is going to give you lag and but kicks in at about 3000rpm and gives you more top end, a supercharger is going to give you no lag but no where near the top end you would get with a turbo. If you're looking for a quick 1/4 mile, 60ft. car then the supercharger is what you want. If you like the freeway, then turbo it. I personally am saving for the turbocharger. I love the high speed races and the track. So either way your car is going to be quick. But its up to you on whether you want top end or quick from the start and less top end. So its all on where you want your power.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
soonerman77 said:
Well..........................

I'd start my search over in the forced induction area of the forums. Use the search feature and you will dig up a wealth of information. If you have cash and lots of it then work towards a turbo. That's all I'm saying.
Do this, when you post, look at where your posting!

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
SlowZX3 said:
Ok, so you can't just ask if you want a turbo or a supercharger. Here's why. A turbo is going to give you lag and but kicks in at about 3000rpm and gives you more top end, a supercharger is going to give you no lag but no where near the top end you would get with a turbo. If you're looking for a quick 1/4 mile, 60ft. car then the supercharger is what you want. If you like the freeway, then turbo it. I personally am saving for the turbocharger. I love the high speed races and the track. So either way your car is going to be quick. But its up to you on whether you want top end or quick from the start and less top end. So its all on where you want your power.

Im sorry i dont buy one word of that ,Every supercharger graph that i have seen posted my turbo kit made the same or more HP and TQ at a lower RPM than the superchargers out for the Focus,,The days of the slow laggy turbos is over ,If the proper turbo is selected it will come on in the low end and keep pulling till 300HP all the way to redline,,By 2500 RPM my kit is doing 60HP and 125TQ at the wheels ,That more TQ than the Focus Zetec makes with a LOT of mods and only at 2500RPM

Tom

·
Registered
845 Posts
Doesn't the Vortech start adding *noticable* boost at around 3000 rpms too? Because of the type of supercharger.
The Jackson Racing however hits when your foot hits the throttle which makes it somewhat of a jumpy ride sometimes in the city. The JR also peaks out its psi at about 3500-4000rpms instead of taking you to redline like the vortech.

That would make the Vortech more "top end" (like a turbo) and the JR more "low end" boost even though the Vortech is a pulley driven supercharger as well.

(I got this info from superchargersonline.com if anyone wandered)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will always have lag with a turbo no matter what. It's inevitable. Of course, modding your engine will help with the lower rpm's but no matter what, you will always have lag.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
SlowZX3 said:
You will always have lag with a turbo no matter what. It's inevitable. Of course, modding your engine will help with the lower rpm's but no matter what, you will always have lag.
Thank you for that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
SlowZX3 said:
You will always have lag with a turbo no matter what. It's inevitable. you will always have lag.

theres a rocket scientist in the house!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
yes , u will always have lag, but tom was telling u that his spool up very quickly!!

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
I guess it comes down to what are you calling lag ,You mash the gas on my kit even at 1/2 throttle you better be ready to go right then

If you think that you mash the gas and there is a sec or 2 then the boost comes on yes this is lag,But like i said lag is old school turbos and improper kit design

You will have to drive my car or one of my customers cars to understand what im saying when i say THERE IS NO LAG

On the dyno start the run at 2000 and have 125 pound foot of TQ at 2500 where is the lag thats more TQ than most modded NA engines at 6500 RPM and more than most blowers for the Focus do

So where is the lag all you nay sayers focaltech im shocked you would respond like you did i thought you knew more about boost than that

Tom

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
i always thought of lag as more of a mental thing, the power curve with a turbo isnt as linear so the power is more instaneous... a s/c will bring u into the high power #s gradually as a turbo just slaps ur face right into it more or less. seriously though... 125 ft lbs at 2k.... what more do u want?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know what Toms turbo kits are like. But it all comes down to having the right sized turbo for your engine. If it's too big, your going to get lag. I gather Tom's are well matched. 2bad I don't know anyone in Australia with one.

At the moment, we have a turbo charged civic from a Greddy kit. it spools fairly quick and can reach max boost 5.5PSI (only set at 5.5 till we get it tuned) by the time it hits 3000 RPM. Now, if your driving your car hard, when you shift your still going to be in boost. So the turbo lag is real just getting from 800RPM to 2000RPM.

As long as your turbo is matched to the engine, the turbo will shit on most supercharge kits with no lag.

Supercharge kits are always forcing air. If your foot is off the throttle in a turbo car, the car behaves very like a N/A car and you use the same amount of fuel before, but if you open the throttle up, be prepeared to be thrown into the back of your seat!

·
Registered
8 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I guess it comes down to what are you calling lag ,You mash the gas on my kit even at 1/2 throttle you better be ready to go right then

If you think that you mash the gas and there is a sec or 2 then the boost comes on yes this is lag,But like i said lag is old school turbos and improper kit design

You will have to drive my car or one of my customers cars to understand what im saying when i say THERE IS NO LAG

On the dyno start the run at 2000 and have 125 pound foot of TQ at 2500 where is the lag thats more TQ than most modded NA engines at 6500 RPM and more than most blowers for the Focus do

So where is the lag all you nay sayers focaltech im shocked you would respond like you did i thought you knew more about boost than that

Tom
It all depends on the RPM point that you are at too. Another thing that comes into play is your exhaust flow and manifold design. A well-designed mani will help your turbo to spool better as well. So, who cares what you're at when you're at 2k, what's your peak? I know that turbo's CAN produce good power down low, but what I've been trying to say is that it's all more relative. Your percentage is going to be not as much. Ok, so you make 125ft-lb at 2k, but if you're putting out 250ft-lb at 5k, then your efficiency isnt as high. Since a supercharger is driven off of belts/pulleys it has the ability to spool as soon as you hit the gas if it's designed properly.

I am talking generally, turbos DO produce SOME lag. If you deny that, then you're a tool and a moron.[rolleyes] It's ok to say that you dont have MUCH lag, because with a ball-bearing setup, proper wastegate, well designed manifold, proper turbo sizing you can reduce the lag to minimal.

The fact that it is driven off of exhaust gases just says that there is going to be SOME delay time. It might be small, but it's still there, it's nothing like driving an N/A car. My buddy has a turboed Mitsu Eclipse and whenever he rides in/drives my car, he comments on the huge difference in a naturally aspirated car. Granted, he has a huge turbo and is building it to be a freeway car, but he even mentioned that with his stock (tiny) turbo that it was way different.

I was saying that to him assuming that he might just get a generic kit. Generic kits fit more into the characteristics of what I said. If he knew enough about turbos and superchargers, he wouldn't have asked a question about it. So I was giving him some basic information to start with.

There are always exceptions to the rules. You obviously know your stuff about turbos so you can build a setup differently. But if someone wants INSTANT POWER, then yeah, go with a S/C. If they're not that picky and are willing to spend some more money, then go with a turbo kit, they usually produce better long-term results in the long run.

That's all I was sayin, the guy obviously was not immediately looking for an in-depth response, so I gave him generic info. If he wanted lots of details, maybe he would have asked why instead of what. lol.

Don't take me as being a dick, I just wanted to clear all that up...

Regards.

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
QUOTE,,But if someone wants INSTANT POWER, then yeah, go with a S/C.

*If i am understanding you correctly you are saying for "INSTANT POWER" you have to go s/c

Im defining "INSTANT POWER" as ,right now, making power before a turbo can make it at the same RPM if the S/C was not making the same or more power as the turbo at the same RPM than it could not be as INSTANT as the turbos power

Here is the TQ off my STD turbo kit on the Focus ,Please show me a S/C that makes power quicker or even as quick or as high (it would have to make the TQ quicker IN rpm RANGE for it to be "INSTANT POWER)

2000RPM 105 TQ

2500 125

3000 165

3500 218

4000 280

6000 280

Show me a S/C that will do that on a Focus any S/C ,There is NO S/C that will have the ability for "INSTANT POWER" than my turbo kit ,,,And this IS NOT a ball bearing turbo

Yes old school turbo and turbos the wrong size are the biggest cause but to say ""But if someone wants INSTANT POWER, then yeah, go with a S/C. "" Just is not true

Tom

1 - 20 of 29 Posts